Talk

Advanced search

Who do you think you are?

(5 Posts)
OhHolyFuck Thu 13-Aug-15 21:28:11

Anyone watching it tonight, with Paul Hollywood?

spiky54 Thu 13-Aug-15 21:42:55

Yes, and I think he is coming across far better than he does on Bake Off. Lovely relationship with his family and obviously very close to his grandad.

ImperialBlether Thu 13-Aug-15 22:23:16

I saw this - thought it was really interesting, particularly the bit at the end about his great-great-great?-granddad who was a post-runner. Both up in Scotland and in Tunisia it must have been amazing to look out at identical views to the ones his ancestors saw.

PancakeHen Fri 14-Aug-15 10:54:42

I really enjoyed this last night, wasn't expecting to as I'm not a PH fan.

I'm always amazed how much interesting information there is about people's ancestors that they have no idea about.

<resolves to finally research own family tree>

ImperialBlether Fri 14-Aug-15 14:49:43

I think it's just that we don't tend to have access to historians who can paint a vivid picture of what happened to our ancestors. We can all track down our family tree and see the occupations etc but usually we won't know what the occupation involved. I'd never heard of a postrunner before and that historian in Scotland really brought it to life, as did the guy in Tunisia talking about the guns and the bombings. It was very moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now