Talk

Advanced search

Anyone can answer a question about the first season of The Wire?

(30 Posts)
EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 21:51:28

I've finally got into it. Hard slog but now I'm hooked. I just need to know why the senior officers/mayor or whoever the blokes in suits are hate McNulty so much? They blame him for everything and he seems to hate himself. Is it something that happened before it started or is it just that it's taken me all this time to actually understand what they are saying that I've missed a crucial part? I'm up to episode 11 so it's nearly finished.

CherryBonBon Fri 07-Aug-15 21:53:21

It's because he's an arrogant prick who hates authority and breaks the rules and doesn't respect the chain of command.

I love McNulty.

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 22:08:04

Cool. So nothing specific then I thought I'd missed something.

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 22:10:49

I wonder what the real Balitimore politicians police force thought of it?

MrsBoadieBoardus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:11:34

It's part of its brilliance throughout that things like this are not explained in detail. No one hardly anyone in it is good or bad all the time. Make your own deductions.

CherryBonBon Fri 07-Aug-15 22:14:10

Yeah it's not because of any one event. Just the fact that he doesn't play by the rules.

The Wire is great but it also left me somewhat unfulfilled and pissed off. It's a real mixed bag.

Passmethecrisps Fri 07-Aug-15 22:17:07

I had to watch series one at least twice and possibly three times with the last time using subtitles.

Once I got into it I was hooked!

McNulty is just the station bad boy. A drunken prick. But an effective drunken prick - the worst kind.

I loved the season about the education system.

I still think about some of the story lines.

DidgeDoolittle Fri 07-Aug-15 22:18:44

I put subtitles on when watching this.

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 22:24:58

You can't on playback though. The acting is brilliant I wonder if they are all professional actors?

Passmethecrisps Fri 07-Aug-15 22:29:17

Snoop wasn't. I think a fair number of the young drug crews were not actors

PfftTheMagicDraco Fri 07-Aug-15 22:33:54

The bosses hate him because he has no respect for keeping the murder list low - he'd rather try and solve the hopeless ones rather than shove them off onto another division, which bumps up the unsolved and gets them in the shit.

MrsBoadieBoardus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:38:09

Giving a fuck when it isn't his turn.

Georgethesecond Fri 07-Aug-15 22:40:07

I loved the season about schools too. So sad, in parts

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 22:43:59

Ok. Before I finish the first one how come suspects/witnesses/grasses are allowed to go into their investigation office and drink coffee eat sweets and generally see the wire contraption and their notice board with all the suspects on? It doesn't look very official!

MrsBoadieBoardus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:48:39

For some of them they don't care what they see(?), some it's used as an unofficial aide-memoir and others it's a threat to show how much they know. IMO.

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 22:51:58

Oh thank you! One more question when this season finishes and the story changes do we see the lovely Idris again or is it all new?

I'm worried about Wallace sad

Passmethecrisps Fri 07-Aug-15 22:54:39

Idris is back

ArgyMargy Fri 07-Aug-15 22:54:59

Oh yeah Idris is in season 2 alright!

MrsBoadieBoardus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:55:59

So do you have favourites yet EachAnd? Can you tell who mine is wink

MrsBodieBroadus Fri 07-Aug-15 22:59:49

Sheeeeeeeeeet - Just noticed the bloody iPhone autocorrect in my name above blushblush

EachandEveryone Fri 07-Aug-15 23:09:33

God it's awful to lust after gangsters. I was exactly the same with Tony Soprano. I need therapy.

NickiFury Sun 09-Aug-15 21:07:34

I'm nearly at the end of Season 2, very late to the table though I have tried twice before to get into it and couldn't. Loving it now though. I like Omar and Stringer.

EachandEveryone Mon 10-Aug-15 18:18:54

I'm tempted to try and get the set off eBay and watch it with subtitles unless it gets easier after the 1st?

GypsyFloss Mon 10-Aug-15 22:03:50

I love The Wire., it's my absolute favourite series. I see the cracking " give a fuck " line has already been mentioned. I have bandied that one about it work on more than one occasion!

I also love the theme music and that each season is a variation on the same tune. But my absolute love is reserved for Bubbles and the redemption in his story, followed closely by Omar and his big coats grin

Each it does get easier after the first season. Your ear gets tuned in!

iklboo Mon 10-Aug-15 22:05:40

Omar's comin'! Omar's comin'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now