Talk

Advanced search

Yay! Ripper Street returning on Fri @ 9pm on BBC1!

(68 Posts)
Valsoldknickers Wed 29-Jul-15 00:28:57

I am so happy that this is returning after all the doubt (cancelled, would it be available online only etc, etc)!!

I will be lining up my craft red ales and settling back for a great evening's entertainment. Anyone else care to pull up a pew and join this thread?

MrsStevenPatrickMorrissey Wed 29-Jul-15 13:29:24

Val I shall be watching too, I'm delighted it's back, and a Friday night spot is perfect for it....can't wait grin

OnlyLovers Wed 29-Jul-15 18:36:37

Fecking LOVE Ripper Street. Apparently this series is nastier too; more artistic freedom as it wasn't made for the Beeb.

Hmmm. Does that mean the Beeb will have edited it before broadcast? Maybe it'd be better to watch it on Amazon Prime?

Anyway, I can't wait to see them all again. I love Long Susan and Matthew Macfadyen (sp?)

ChiefClerkDrumknott Thu 30-Jul-15 13:06:24

Thanks for the heads up grin

On a side note, the BBC do love to sabotage programmes, don't they? I only knew this is coming back because of this thread and the second series was also very poorly advertised (perhaps leading to the low ratings that got it cancelled?). They did the same thing with The Musketeers. Why bother making/buying programmes if you're not going to advertise when they're on?! angry *Rant over*

Anyway, I will be getting a wine or two ready and settling down tomorrow night

OnlyLovers Thu 30-Jul-15 13:51:41

Is The Musketeers having a third series, do we know?

And, while I'm on the subject, what about Quirke? I loved that. And Shetland? And Hinterland? I watch too much telly

squoosh Thu 30-Jul-15 17:24:43

Bloody love this programme. Drake gives me the tingles that only a raddled faced Victorian copper can give you.

Wonderful scripts too.

squoosh Thu 30-Jul-15 17:25:13

Quirke was great, hope that's coming back.

CoogerAndDark Fri 31-Jul-15 10:45:46

I'm pleased too, although DH hates it and not sure it's suitable for DS so not sure when I will be able to watch it.

Rollergirl1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:11:58

DH and I have been watching on Amazon Prime. I won't say too much as don't want to give spoilers. But it is very very good! I might even watch again tonight on BBC, it's that good!

CoogerAndDark Fri 31-Jul-15 13:19:32

Has it got a lot of sex in it or is just heaving bosoms?

OnlyLovers Fri 31-Jul-15 13:38:55

It was just heaving bosoms, really, if I remember rightly. But as I said above, I think this latest series was 'sexed up' (and had added blood and guts and violence) because it was on Amazon and didn't have to be toned down for the Beeb.

So it may or may not have more sex in it.

Rollergirl1 Fri 31-Jul-15 15:23:51

I don't recall loads of sex. There is definitely more gore.

CoogerAndDark Fri 31-Jul-15 15:25:20

Gore's ok. Gore doesn't make you cringe with embarrassment in front of your parents grin

Tiredemma Fri 31-Jul-15 16:57:32

I cant wait.

Valsoldknickers Fri 31-Jul-15 21:03:29

Yay! And we're off grinwinecake

IrenetheQuaint Fri 31-Jul-15 21:05:49

Hurrah!

rilesm Fri 31-Jul-15 21:58:27

Love this show! Why have Reid and Jackson fallen out again?

Ladylouanne Fri 31-Jul-15 22:05:11

I was trying to remember that too Rilesm. Will have to google.

I love the dialogue in this programme. It's like watching a play where you have to concentrate on what people are saying (and not read Mumsnet at the same time).

rilesm Fri 31-Jul-15 22:14:59

I watch it with subtitles so I can appreciate ( and follow) it's true beauty.

IrenetheQuaint Fri 31-Jul-15 22:40:10

I'd forgotten that I am invariably utterly confused by the plots in Ripper St. Mostly I watch it for the ambience blush

SinisterBunnyMonth Fri 31-Jul-15 23:38:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RomanMum Sat 01-Aug-15 00:14:09

Ooh can't wait. Recorded it to watch when DH comes home (who is the spitting image of MMc).

LoadsaBlusher Sat 01-Aug-15 21:07:33

Is Jackson being played by a different actor this time ??
The style of filming seems different , not as dark ( watching on sky plus)...

FrChewieLouie Sat 01-Aug-15 21:12:12

Watched on Amazon Prime a few months back and thought this series head and shoulders above the first two - I can't remember which episode it was, but one of them left me literally too shocked to breathe at the end.

Will be watching them all again.

LoadsaBlusher Sat 01-Aug-15 21:16:56

Love it so far
Love the period style
But Jackson looks too thin - not as hunky as before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now