Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching Witnesses?

(42 Posts)
BitOfFun Wed 22-Jul-15 23:09:26

New French drama, bit weird, looks like it could be a bit like The Returned...

standingonlego Wed 22-Jul-15 23:27:04

Me! Absolutely loved The Returned too smile

BitOfFun Wed 22-Jul-15 23:51:15

I'm watching it on +1. Really enjoying it so far.

Maisonneuve, I see what they did there- New House, the case is about show homes...grin

susiedaisy Wed 22-Jul-15 23:52:42

I loved the Returned. So have put Witnesses on record to watch later.

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-15 00:07:16

Il est assez comme un Liam Neeson français, n'est-ce pas? grin

threestars Thu 23-Jul-15 00:13:26

And they saw a wolf. And the cafe woman wore a red (riding) hood. And the woman read her daughter a fairy tale.
I'm intrigued!

cruikshank Thu 23-Jul-15 00:26:26

Hrm. I'm watching and will continue to do so because it's glossy, classy stuff but a few niggles so far:

1. If the two guys were pushed/jumped off a cliff, how come their bodies aren't mashed to a pulp?

2. Maisonneuve is clearly the girl's father (odd socks etc) so what's with the conversation where she was just supposed to be a rebellious student?

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-15 00:39:22

Interesting, I missed that about the socks.

I didn't think Sandra and Paul had had that sort of relationship, but you may well be right. I'm kicking myself now. As far as the rebellious student convo goes, I thought it was just that. But if they'd been sleeping together, I suppose that would have given him the opportunity to tell her "a hundred times" that she didn't have the guts for police work. They seem oddly disconnected if that happened though, and he seems devoted to his dead wife.

Perhaps Sandra just notices things out of place? Like the croissant crumbs etc.

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-15 00:45:56

Oh, and the cliff thing? I guess it depends how they fell, whether the tide was in, what reconstruction the funeral parlour did?

To be a bit morbid for a moment, somebody started a thread in AIBU earlier that linked to a site about unidentified people found dead, and there was a very sad incident of a woman who'd jumped from Beachy Head. A photo was published in an effort to find out who she was, and her face was undamaged.

cruikshank Thu 23-Jul-15 00:58:54

Sandra has OCD, probably brought on by whatever trauma caused her to miss her final exam (oh and another niggle - how come she's a copper now if that happened? Hrm again). Cleaning in the middle of the night, straightening the cup at the housing company place, her colleague saying her desk is too tidy - There Will Be More.

Sad and interesting story about the poor woman at Beachy Head - I just always assumed that if someone fell from a great height, they would be a bit of a mess.

cruikshank Thu 23-Jul-15 01:03:05

Anyway, lots of interesting duality - the guy who works for a housebuilding company on the verge of losing his home; Sandra's boyfriend cheating on her while she's keeping a secret as to who her daughter's father is; also symbols - yy to Red Riding Hood and the story - plus the lipstick in the car is red.

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-15 01:11:37

The first thing I thought about the lipstick was that she was jumping to conclusions (which still illustrates something about her character); any woman her partner had given a lift to might have dropped a lipstick- it's not quite the same as finding an earring in the marital bed.

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-15 01:12:34

Have PMed you, cruikshank.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 23-Jul-15 16:41:12

yes watched and interesting but... I wasn't 100% sold on it...

cruik I was wondering the same re the suicide cliff bodies (have known of 2 jumpers and they were not a pretty sight).

Twinklestein Thu 23-Jul-15 22:39:34

It's a sub-Spiral knockoff, they've even copied Berthaud and her jackets.

No hot guys either. Meh.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 09:45:07

Twinkle so you didn't think Maisonneuve was hot for an older guy either?!

Twinklestein Fri 24-Jul-15 09:59:54

God no.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 10:03:06

Twinkle - me neither really...

then again quite a few of the French TV (parents have got holiday home there) is dire...

Twinklestein Fri 24-Jul-15 11:22:30

My husband's French and we're currently based in Paris. French tv is shit but at least it's good for one's French.

Spiral though, is the best cop TV show I've seen other than the first Prime Suspect & the Wire.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 11:29:16

the worst ones are the political shows which seem to go on for ages...

last summer I watched Fort Boyard... and was bemused by that.

we never go up to Paris unless by train/car as we're in SW (Bordeaux/La Rochelle).

SuperFlyHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 11:31:16

Twinkle you're right re the French (spent many years watching Depardieu films on C4 etc with subtitles to improve French and when he was a lot younger and fitter!).

I always catch the lazy stuff too though where they say 'oui' (yes) whereas it's 'oua' (yeah).

we also have the great task of when the elderly neighbours speak to us in Charantais slang... which is understandable.

qazxc Fri 24-Jul-15 11:32:17

Just watched in record, will have to watch again though due to DP's interruptions.
I thought Thierry Lhermite is ageing rather well and not bad in drama mode.

Twinklestein Fri 24-Jul-15 13:42:46

I know Bordeaux I spent the summer there years ago and my husband's from Angouleme.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 24-Jul-15 13:49:16

Twinkle - Bordeaux is ok, I think it's improved in recent years (I still think it's sprawled out and horrid in summer as hot and humid and you can't walk round it!) - prefer La Rochelle myself... smile

yes been to Angouleme quite nice from memory.

Twinklestein Sat 25-Jul-15 09:02:20

I wasn't staying in Bordeaux itself, although I visited. The family had a nice swimming pool, although I didn't find it that hot tbh, I was used to Italy.

Bordeaux is a bit small for me, I'm a Londoner. But it's an attractive town, big enough to have good shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now