Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rylan should NOT have gone through on Masterchef!

(31 Posts)
Bogeyface Sat 18-Jul-15 02:08:14

Ok so he did a clever gimmicky thing but it was style over substance. He was judged "not in a fast food way, not in a masterchef way...." but the others were judged in a Masterchef way.

He didnt show much in the way of technical ability to put together a burger with chips and a drink.

They kept him in because he is good telly, at the expense of others who were far better than him.

Oh and I dont belive for one second that he just happened to pop out and get a set of branded fast food containers, or that it was his idea in the first place.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 18-Jul-15 09:54:10

I disagree. It takes a lot of skill to do what he did. He prepared of course- he made the presentation boxes before hand- but what makes you think it wasn't his idea?

Icimoi Sat 18-Jul-15 10:54:37

Of course he prepared it, but what was wrong with that? Do you imagine they didn't all practise and refine what they were cooking for that task? But I will admit I thought he should not have been allowed to use bought burger buns and processed cheese.

Bogeyface Sat 18-Jul-15 20:33:10

Oh come on, a burger and chips hardly represents the same sort of ability and talent that the others showed in their work. They created really good quality food and worked really hard. He made a couple of burgers, some chips, ketchup and a couple of drinks. I would do that for my kids, not for Masterchef!

His prepared dishes are always totally different to his cooking in the professional kitchens or the invention tests, whereas the others show a similar level of competency in both.

They kept him in because he is entertaining at the expense of other better cooks imo.

Davros Sat 18-Jul-15 23:01:21

He did much better than Mica in the pudding invention test

MTWTFSS Sun 19-Jul-15 08:34:26

I didn't like Rylan are first as he does seem annoying and fake, but as the series has gone on I think we are starting to see a more serious genuine side to him which is great! I hope he stops clowning around now as he is good at cooking and doesn't need all the drama.

cleanmachine Sun 19-Jul-15 15:03:38

this series has been really dumbed down and rubbish. the celebs are mostly reality TV non celebs and the dishes are all burgers, chips, pies and ice cream. I've met Rylan through work and in RL he is a nasty arrogant bloke who transforms himself once the camera rolls. and I know that he had extensive cooking lessons prior to each episode. he is desperate to win.

SoupDragon Sun 19-Jul-15 15:24:39

He made a couple of burgers, some chips, ketchup and a couple of drinks. I would do that for my children

Would you make ketchup? Put the effort he put into actually making the chips?

I wasn't paying much attention but I thought his was inspired amongst all that shit poncey food that usually gets churned out.

Bogeyface Sun 19-Jul-15 16:20:44

Yes I would make the chips, I hate oven chips, and my lot dont really like ketchup so its never come up.

Its hardly challenging to cut a few spuds and chuck them in the fryer is it?

As I said above, it was style over substance and if any of the others had done it they would have been flamed, and rightly so.

SoupDragon Sun 19-Jul-15 18:49:19

Its hardly challenging to cut a few spuds and chuck them in the fryer is it

Except he didn't do that did he?

Bogeyface Sun 19-Jul-15 21:14:09

Oh come on, he didnt do much more than that! Lets face it, he didnt nothing that anyone who knows the basics of cooking couldnt do, and thats not what MC is about.

WhetherOrNot Sun 19-Jul-15 23:09:20

Its hardly challenging to cut a few spuds and chuck them in the fryer is it?

You obviously didn't watch it properly !!

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:22

I hate oven chips

But he didn't make 'oven chips'.

ShuShuFontana Mon 20-Jul-15 14:57:23

I really like him! ...like the love child of Kenny Everett and Freddie Mercury!

However I do think one of the others will win, he is being shown as the "star pupil" and the way they edit these programs it is never the star pupil that wins!

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 20-Jul-15 14:59:45

I really like him and loved his happy meal.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 20-Jul-15 15:01:09

John was impressed by the levels of effort he went too he showed as much technique in producing the chips as the others did he didn't just cut up potatoes and stick them in the dryer which is what you do! certianly more than Micha did with her pancake and melted chocolate. Wow whip eggs milk and flour and melt some chocolate melts Im pretty sure most year 4 kids could do that!

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 20-Jul-15 15:04:37

Yep Micha should have gone.

I think Sam will win. As soon as he makes a main course, instead of a dessert!

UrethraFranklin1 Mon 20-Jul-15 15:09:02

He made a burger (a good one), proper chips, chicken nuggets, made sauce and two different drinks! What more do you want? And it all tasted good, which is the metric that matters.

Mica made a pancake. My seven year old can make a pancake.

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 20-Jul-15 15:17:06

Makes a nice change from the usual Masterchef dishes which consist of:
- meat/fish
- mash potato (but called something fancy)
- so tiny veg
- jus

My DD7 loved the 'happy meal' Rylan made and if it shows her that home-cooked food can be as nice/ nicer than fast food places then that's good enough for me. I might actually steal the idea and make some healthy burgers at home and get her to decorate some boxes coz she loves arts & crafts so much.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 20-Jul-15 15:25:02

SheHas www.amazon.co.uk/The-Takeaway-Secret-favourite-fast-food/dp/0716022354 book is brilliant for making takeaway food at home.

SheHasAWildHeart Mon 20-Jul-15 15:26:32

Thank you IHaveBrilloHair!

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Wed 22-Jul-15 16:03:31

Sam needs to Win!

i love listening to him and Mark on the Radio on a Sunday, i will be gutted if he doesn't win!

Icimoi Thu 23-Jul-15 07:40:16

It's going to be Kimberley, isn't it?

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 24-Jul-15 23:44:53

Feel so annoyed with myself for wasting so many hours of my life watching this :/

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 24-Jul-15 23:46:57

Love Kimberley but Gregg drooling over her was really ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now