True Detective s2

(27 Posts)
TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 04-Jul-15 16:24:42

Anyone watching this? I've just caught up on the 1st 2 shows & I'm really liking it. Colin Farrell is quite captivating, man on the edge type of vibe going on. The characters all seem a bit too fucked up to ring true but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to see what happens. Rachel McAdams is really good too, never seen the other detective in anything before this though. Vince Vaughan is too nice to be a gangster/wheeler dealer, he's not got the whole menacing slant to his character pinned down yet.

I'm intrigued to see where this one leads to.

scandip Sat 04-Jul-15 16:27:39

I think it's a wee bit slow but loved the first series so am giving it a chance. I like seeing Rachel McAdams in something so different to her usual stuff. It seems Colin's character did something awful, possibly with the assistance of Vince Vaughan. Maybe they murdered his wife's rapist?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sat 04-Jul-15 17:22:28

I think that's spot on - it's like reading a book, watching his face as he goes through the spectrum of extreme emotions as he struggles to function as a 'normal' human being. He's def done something terrible to have to struggle like that. & the fact he's Vaughan's 'pet' when he needs something done - he's clearly got a hold over him.

The end of the 2nd episode made me shock - I watched the 1st series all at once, now it's killing me waiting to find out what happens next. grin

NotPennysBoat Sun 05-Jul-15 21:52:40

We've just started watching this and are finding it a bit confusing! We haven't seen any of the first series though - should we have watched that first or is this a completely separate storyline?
The acting is fab and it seems to have real potential, we just have trouble following who is who and their names so far! Can anyone summarise?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 05-Jul-15 22:05:58

This is completely separate from 1st series. It's worth watching but not necessary to get any clues on this.

I'm not too clued up myself but I got that the young guy is involved as he found the corpse, Colin Farrell is involved as he was investigating the corpse as a missing person & Rachel McAdams - I'm not too sure how/where she got involved but think it's something to do with a different branch of law enforcement also having 'dibs' on the investigation? The dead guy was conducting some sort of business on Vincent Vaughan's behalf & his money has disappeared - Vaughan has links to Farrell from whatever he did to his wife's rapist. Farrell seems to do some 'work' for Vaughan on the side as Vaughan has knowledge of what he did in the past & seems to hold it over him.

I'm going to watch the 1st one again, to see if I can pick up anything subtle that I missed as I'm sure there's something!

scandip Sun 05-Jul-15 22:25:41

Thanks for that as there are bits I didn't quite get.

Squigglypig Wed 15-Jul-15 22:45:45

Wow just watched episode 4. Just wow. Is anyone else watching and up to date?

diddl Thu 16-Jul-15 07:55:31

'Fraid not! Gave up after 2 eps!

FarFromAnyRoad Sun 26-Jul-15 08:22:49

We watched 3 & 4 which were Sky+'d last night despite not having a great urge to do so. I'm sticking with it because I'm hoping against hope that it'll come right - it's been pretty dire up to now. I think I can safely say that now, four episodes in, I have a faint idea what's happening. Not a clear shining idea with a beacon on it's head saying "This is what's happening" - but a faint idea nonetheless grin
Anyone else sticking with it?

Iamblossom Wed 29-Jul-15 22:14:52

Absolutely loving this, have stuck with it and am finding it mesmerising, quality acting. Colin and vince are just amazing, as are they all really!!!!!

Best thing on TV at the movement Imo

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 30-Jul-15 23:07:36

Just caught up, had no internet for a while there. I'm still enjoying it, it's meandering a little in terms of where it's heading & the various bits of info thrown in. So far I've noted a bit of LA Confidential/The Wire/Goodfellas 'influence' & it's all a bit too easy for the main characters to flit in & out of various places with too little obstacles (that party exit was just not plausible at all). Colin Farrell is looking a tad Kevin Webster-ish without the 'tash now too. He's brilliant tho, bloody brilliant. I'm still getting too much of the nice guy vibe off Vaughn & that's even after the teeth pulling grin. He's not menacing while being conflicted as he tried to go straight only to be pulled back in when his money went missing. He's just too nice.

Rachel McAdam's character is interesting/complicated/textbook fucked up cop but I think with too many coincidences to make her plight plausible. Her sister just happens to have the inside track on the mysterious hooker parties they could really do with getting into/she wanders through said party without any 'participation' & manages to drag 1 woman out without much of a challenge despite the high profile attendees & their required security!?!!? Oh & the gay cop (whose name escapes me) being able to slip in, steal some very useful papers & nip out with no alarms or CCTV or security being clued in on their presence?

I'm sticking with it 'cos I like the actors & I just want to get to the bottom of where Vaughn's money went & who the bird guy was grin

ElviraCondomine Fri 31-Jul-15 23:16:00

I'm loving it.
I adored series 1 and it's a very different show (missing the incredible atmosphere of Series 1 I think) but it has some things I like more - like a strong female lead.
Farrell is pretty mesmerising.
I love Bezzerides. I thought the hooker party was utterly terrifying.

I shall keep watching.

(Love the scenes with all UK/Irish actors being all mean and moody and American)

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Tue 04-Aug-15 08:31:39

shock Anyone still watching? Watched ep7, that was shock & sad & shock.

weaselwords Tue 04-Aug-15 08:36:40

I need to watch so 7 again as so many loose ends got tied up in such a short time that I got more confused.

Frank has really grown on me. I found him very flat to start with and he and his wife talked like bad chick lit, but him watching the other bloke die was just awesome.

weaselwords Tue 04-Aug-15 08:37:59

Also, how has Colin Farrell managed to make himself so weasely and unattractive? He used to be on my laminated list sad

RabbitDeNiro Tue 04-Aug-15 15:11:22

I wasn't sure what I thought about this series after instantly loving the first but I'm glad I've stuck with it. The last 2 episodes have been good and the finale is going to be 90 minutes. I'll probably watch the whole thing again for anything I have missed as there are a lot of characters who I'm unsure of.
I'd like to find out about the bar lady with the scars on her face though.

gingercat12 Wed 05-Aug-15 23:03:54

Weasel He is a bad man you know.

Paul has only just grown on me. Nooooooo!

BooToYouToo Fri 07-Aug-15 10:57:05

Just watched this week's episode and completely lost the plot. Can anyone explain/ fill in the blanks?

So was it two bent cops who either staged the diamond robbery decades ago or were complicit? Which ones? Was one of them the man with the eyes gouged out and questionable taste in home decor in ep.1? Who is the other? Why have the diamonds suddenly come to light now? What is mayor Chessani's involvement?

Bezzarides/Velcoro identified the girl orphaned in the robbery as the city hall secretary. Do they think she gouged out the eyes & murdered the cop? What do they think she is plotting now?

The man who shot the young cop outside the tunnel is also a cop - who does he work with? Is it Vinci police?

Want to stick with it as some of the characters are compelling but when they bandy names around I get really lost as to who is doing what to whom!

Tiredemma Fri 07-Aug-15 11:02:49

Hang on Boo- I found an article yesterday online that explained things (because I equally do not have a clue what is going on)

Tiredemma Fri 07-Aug-15 11:03:38

uk.businessinsider.com/true-detective-season-2-plot-summary-2015-8?r=US&IR=T

BooToYouToo Fri 07-Aug-15 11:26:42

Brilliant Tiredemma, many thanks. So useful to put faces to names.

The only thing I don't get is why Caspere held on to the diamonds for so long, perhaps we'll find out next week.

FarFromAnyRoad Wed 12-Aug-15 20:12:23

Or perhaps you won't! Just watched the last LONG episode and frankly still none the wiser! Didn't much care for the ending either - and didn't actually get most of it. I am so pissed that I wasted 9 hours of my life on that and really hoping they rerun Series 1 now so I can prove to my friends/family/everyone I recommended it to that I am not batshit crazy and it was a brilliant show first time round!

Cooroo Wed 12-Aug-15 20:18:58

I was mystified most of the way through, never got the hang of the plot, but by the last episode I was hooked and found it very powerful. If I read too much online I'll get disillusioned but I was torn apart as Frank and Velcoro died, especially with that message unsent. And enjoyed the two women setting out together at the end. Not a clue what it was all about though.

FarFromAnyRoad Wed 12-Aug-15 20:35:13

Same Coo - it almost implied a relationship between them didn't it? Or was that just the heat making me crazy? grin

Cooroo Wed 12-Aug-15 21:11:04

I did say 'wow Thelma and Louise'! Perhaps they should do a spin off! Perhaps they'll meet up with Ava and her baby from Justified. (Feels sad because no one else watched Justified)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now