Talk

Advanced search

North and South

(56 Posts)
OnlyLovers Mon 29-Jun-15 15:07:28

Anyone watching this? It passed me by when it was on originally (in fact, when WAS it on?) but I've watched the first two and love it. Properly smouldering.

BeckerLleytonnever Mon 29-Jun-15 16:56:02

Was that Richard Armitage as in Thorin from the Hobbit?

dint look like him! (only put it on to see him btw!)

OnlyLovers Mon 29-Jun-15 16:57:05

Yes, well I think so although I can't say I'm an Armitage expert. I'm afraid to say I don't get the love for him.

BeckerLleytonnever Mon 29-Jun-15 17:04:52

As tHorin hes totally eatablely delicious!

Duckdeamon Mon 29-Jun-15 20:18:19

Love the ending.

OnlyLovers Tue 30-Jun-15 10:03:46

Haven't seen The Hobbit. Saw him in a recording of the recent stage production of The Crucible. He was all right I guess. Nothing to write home about. <<ducks>>

FraggleHair Tue 30-Jun-15 10:48:01

It's been on TV regularly since it was made.......at least ten years ago I'd guess. It's okay but I find her a bit too trembly lipped and my loins are unmoved by Armitage.

Good kiss though.

FannyPlant Tue 30-Jun-15 10:52:25

Thornton is mine. BACK OFF LADIES!

OnlyLovers Tue 30-Jun-15 10:53:46

I've never heard of it being on before. I'm very pleased to have caught it this time though. I love a costume drama, but too often they're underwhelming.

FraggleHair Tue 30-Jun-15 10:53:57

I don't think anyone else wants him! grin

FraggleHair Tue 30-Jun-15 10:55:22

Imagine having to move in with his mother. No thank you!

OnlyLovers Tue 30-Jun-15 10:57:08

No, but Sinead Cusack is MAJESTIC. I love her.

FraggleHair Tue 30-Jun-15 10:58:49

She's amazing, but terrifying. She'd be very competitive for her son's affections.

FannyPlant Tue 30-Jun-15 10:59:25

I'm marking my territory now grin

Duckdeamon Tue 30-Jun-15 14:11:10

Yes, one can only imagine the MN threads on MN about th MIL! And his relationship with his mother. Margaret would definitely be advised to run for the hills! And she'd be on the stately home threads about her own weird parents!

What part did RA play in the Crucible?

OnlyLovers Tue 30-Jun-15 15:25:18

He was John Proctor.

Thurlow Tue 30-Jun-15 15:29:30

Oh my god, John Thornton. The things that man makes me think, in that top hat and that cravat, with that stare

<wibbles>

Ladytron Tue 30-Jun-15 18:32:58

What channel please? I did a search and couldn't find it - been wanting to see this for ages. Thanks all star

RiverTam Tue 30-Jun-15 18:37:26

Honestly, Only, get with the program, Richard Armitage is the bomb <gavel>. I agree Sinesd Cusack is amazing in N&S, but richard is proper hot. I don't actually like much he's been in but this, the Hobbit and the Crucible are all amazeballs.

OnlyLovers Tue 30-Jun-15 18:44:02

Drama Channel but all four episodes were on at once and I don't know if they're being repeated.

If Fraggle is right, though, it'll come round again soon enough.

Tam, sorry, you can throw something at me if you want, but someone on here recently said Armitage was a bit 'suburban' and I have to say I agree. <<ducks>>

RiverTam Tue 30-Jun-15 18:51:09

<squeals> suburban??? SUBURBAN????????????

I read that comment at the time and instantly consigned it to the dustbin. Really. Some people.

Clayhead Thu 02-Jul-15 09:38:13

I love this so much - rewatch my DVD every year smile

TheCraicDealer Thu 02-Jul-15 09:47:24

It's on Netflix which is good because I can just flick past the boring Union stuff and get to the Thornton interesting bits.

Margaret is a knob for a quite a large proportion of it though, she's hard to like.

Duckdeamon Thu 02-Jul-15 10:23:31

I live in suburbia: if the men round here looked like RA I would be a happy woman ! Lovely thought. Not sure it'd be good for my marriage mind you.

mistymeanour Thu 02-Jul-15 11:34:24

RA looks just like John Thornton is described in the books but DDA is definetly not Margaret and has none of her personality and warmth. The series is beautifully filmed - but the last episodes and the mucking about with the storyline make me see red!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now