Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching that Kevin McCloud programme?

(202 Posts)
SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 21:32:44

Missed the beginning - are they living on that island alone? What are the kids going to do when they're teenagers?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Mon 08-Jun-15 21:34:45

I missed the beginning but apparently they do live alone however they allow whale watchers to pay to stay to bring in an income.

One of my thoughts on it are how the boys will be able to have a relationship when they are older, they will need to leave the island to do this and how prepared for non island will they be?

Pooseyfrumpture Mon 08-Jun-15 21:35:32

Yes it's just them.

I would think boarding school would be looking pretty attractive if they could afford it.

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 21:37:40

Wonder if they plan to just do it for 5 years or something. I think they said the whale watching brought in a small income but, I suppose, you don't need much anyway.

rockybalboa Mon 08-Jun-15 21:38:37

Watching. Considering sending them DS3 in a box as he would fit in quite well running wild in a jungle...

QuestioningStuff Mon 08-Jun-15 21:38:48

I wonder that too. How healthy can it be to have no social interaction other than your immediate family?

I love the idea of my children being able to live like that and staying children for as long as possible but surely at some point they will need to venture out into the mainstream world and what a shock that will be:

susiedaisy Mon 08-Jun-15 21:40:12

Marking place as will be watching it soon

Whathaveilost Mon 08-Jun-15 21:41:40

I think it's a nice idea on the surface but I wouldn't like it on a permeant basis.

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 21:42:57

Can they access the internet? That feels like a very stupid question but I just don't know. They must venture to other islands - I wonder how often?

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 21:52:39

Ah, the eldest wants to leave.

PoorNeglectedBike Mon 08-Jun-15 21:52:39

Kevin McCloud on an island? Sorry not watching but I know his dd goes to boarding school because my mother works there

Shenanagins Mon 08-Jun-15 21:52:46

I was wondering the same! It looks idyllic but what happens if you get sick, old, infirm, is there a backup plan?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Mon 08-Jun-15 21:53:09

They have been there 7 years already.

Electricity but I don't think any internet it said VHF radio but no mention of internet. I guess that would need a stylite?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Mon 08-Jun-15 21:53:38

Satellite not stylite

PoorNeglectedBike Mon 08-Jun-15 21:53:40

Ah hang on. That'll teach me to join in without watching. He's visiting another family who do right?

Ignore me blush

RedandYellow24 Mon 08-Jun-15 21:54:11

Looks wonderful but don't think have internet etc so guessing older one or family will move to more town island

Pooseyfrumpture Mon 08-Jun-15 21:56:10

New Zealand?

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 21:58:42

NZ s nearest place. Think they're near Tonga?

They must have foreseen that the kids would get bored eventually.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Mon 08-Jun-15 22:02:41

I certainly think that they must have a large financial back up. Large cash reserves which makes this possible. I don't think it would be doable for the average joe blogs giving up his 3bed semi and average income with no savings.

Rent on the island is £7000 per acre per year so at a guess £70k annual rent? It didn't say how much the whale watching paid towards that or how much the supplies run cost. How much the eldest schooling would be and how it would be funded.

She seemed a bit lonely in the interview as well. Things like no friends to share events or just sound off with.

A brave move and perhaps not as idyllic as it would first appear.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Jun-15 22:03:37

What channel is/was it on?

honeysucklejasmine Mon 08-Jun-15 22:04:53

Gosh, it was a beautiful place. DH said we can't move there though as no internet.

I think I'd want to move out there as part of a large group. There aren't nearly enough people about.

Do fancy a holiday now though!

Pumpeedo Mon 08-Jun-15 22:05:30

No I'm not watching it. I can't stand him, he gets right up my nose.

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 22:05:35

Oh, missed the bit about rent. I think she was in IT and forget what he did.

Not sure where next week's is but the daughter's "boring" must be what most teens would feel about this.

SwedishEdith Mon 08-Jun-15 22:06:46

Yes, it looked fantastic for a holiday.

burntthesprouts Mon 08-Jun-15 22:13:10

They're going to have to sell a lot of coconuts to pay for their son's boarding school (and his brothers)! That trip for batshit was crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now