Talk

Advanced search

Dementiaville

(14 Posts)
QuestioningStuff Thu 04-Jun-15 21:08:00

Anybody watching? Find the idea very interesting. May make for emotional viewing as I'm thinking of my nanny

bobajob Thu 04-Jun-15 21:38:34

I think it looks amazing.

SinisterBunnyMonth Thu 04-Jun-15 21:41:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tequilashotfor1 Thu 04-Jun-15 21:48:39

Feel so sad watching it . Dementia is a very cruel way to go. Amazing staff though star

TheFnozwhowasmirage Thu 04-Jun-15 21:55:01

The staff are just wonderful,aren't they? It's making me a bit weepy actually.

QuestioningStuff Thu 04-Jun-15 22:00:19

I wish there was somewhere like this available when my nanny was alive. It's just brilliant.

conniedescending Thu 04-Jun-15 22:03:17

It's good to see but isn't a new method or idea. Good dementia care is supposed to look like this and it's widely known as the most positive approach.

MishMooshAndMogwai Thu 04-Jun-15 22:07:10

Poppy lodge is about 2 miles from me, it's been through some rough times but recently (they had big overhaul a few years back) ive heard wonderful reports and stories from there. My friend worked there and said there's such a kind atmosphere about the place smile

My granny has dementia at the moment and trying to keep her in the present gets her so upset, it makes so much more sense to humour her.

MackerelOfFact Thu 04-Jun-15 22:11:22

What a lovely but heart-wrenching programme. It's reminded me of the times I 'babysat' my grandma with dementia, and we'd talk for hours about her life when she was my (then) age, the dances she went to, the clothes and shoes she wore, the places she went with boys.

She would come alive and we would gossip and giggle like teenage best friends. Lovely memories smile

jellyandsoup Thu 04-Jun-15 22:13:15

An amazing program, my lovely god mother was in a dementia care home and it was a horrible place, she would have loved it there :-(

Aeroflotgirl Thu 04-Jun-15 23:01:24

What a fantastic home, wish all care homes were that caring. Tge staff are wonderful and dedicated.

DustyMaiden Thu 04-Jun-15 23:05:00

I will have to watch it. I am full time carer for MIL she has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.

DramaQueenofHighCs Thu 04-Jun-15 23:19:22

Reminded me of when I used to work as an 'activity therapist/organiser' at a care home between the ages of 16 & 20. I loved spending time in the 'dementia house' and by 17 was the person from my team who spent the most time there.

I spent 3 years as 'a mutual friend of a resident's old friend' and a month or two as the best friend of another resident's sister! I went on 'walks to the woods', 'waitressed at a cafe', 'helped give history lectures' and 'starred in readings of Shakespere plays' all because of instinctively using this approach and the research I had done myself! (I had no formal dementia training apart from that given to me by the care home as I was not a 'carer' - my job was to facilitate recreational activities for residents and spend quality time talking to them that perhaps their 'nurses' couldn't because of their workload.)
The thing that always got me most was the weekly 'sing along' and dance that I used to lead - these people who could not remember what they had for dinner 20 minutes ago, some of whom couldn't even remember their own relatives, were singing along word and note (and sometimes harmony) perfect with the songs and dancing away and looking so so happy.

I really miss that job and hope someday to go back to it, but unfortunatly to earn any money with it nowadays (I left due to drama college) you have to have 'such and such a qualification' and fill in loads of paperwork every day! So sad that paperwork is taking over! sad

susiedaisy Mon 08-Jun-15 08:21:18

I'm watching it now. What a wonderful way of helping the residents. Such dedication from the staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now