Talk

Advanced search

Back in time for dinner

(548 Posts)
hideandseekpig Sun 15-Mar-15 11:10:14

Is anyone going to watch this? I'm really torn because the presenter is Giles Coren who I don't like much but the idea is interesting. They are basically getting a family to eat from a different decade each week from 1950s to now

Trills Sun 15-Mar-15 14:48:37

I rather enjoy watching Giles Coren (ideally with Sue Perkins but his Christmas thing with Alexander Armstrong was good too).

hideandseekpig Sun 15-Mar-15 20:54:08

trills I haven't seen much with him in although I do remember the sue perkins thing he was in vaguely! I don't like him from interviews I've read he seems quite sexist really.

But the programme sounds interesting generally

Trills Sun 15-Mar-15 21:34:45

I read his wife's blog, and I think better of him because I like her.

The concept definitely sounds like fun to watch.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 16-Mar-15 04:27:54

It's on planner. Sure seen something like this before. When a family had to live life in the 'olden days' sure was a 60's 70's and 80's and 90's

They made the house like it was in that time and used gadgets they had etc

Ring any bells with anyone?

hideandseekpig Mon 16-Mar-15 20:20:24

blondes think that was 1940s house and then they did other decades too it was on years ago. There might have been a more recent version too!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 16-Mar-15 22:24:28

Unless I saw a repeat of it?? They cooked with suet etc in the older days

Guessing no micro meals smile

Jacana Tue 17-Mar-15 21:38:40

blondes it was ringing bells with me, too.

Watched it this evening. That bacon didn't look very '50s' to me, couldn't see any bacon rind but perhaps I was mistaken. Didn't know that fish fingers were a 50s thing, I'd have guessed 60-70s.The liver looked disgusting.

Davros Tue 17-Mar-15 21:44:51

I love Giles Coren. Enjoyed it

hideandseekpig Tue 17-Mar-15 22:08:06

I haven't watched yet but have recorded and will watch tomorrow hopefully !

Samcro Tue 17-Mar-15 22:31:57

i watched it
but I do not believe anyone would serve up cold liver and cauliflower, even in the 50's

Samcro Tue 17-Mar-15 22:32:23

sorry hope that wasn't a spoiler lol

eddiemairswife Tue 17-Mar-15 22:52:04

I agree about the cold liver. Surely she could have fried the liver, potatoes and cauliflower in the dripping for the children's tea. I remember the 50s. The food was basic but not as unpalatable as the programme made out.

Clawdy Tue 17-Mar-15 23:11:34

Yes, my mum and gran cooked liver a lot,but they would never have served it cold, and would have fried up any left-over veg. And although I agree there were never any spices or herbs added, (not in our house,anyway!) my mum always added oxo cubes and a bit of worcester sauce so gravy and casseroles were always tasty!

ChoochiWhoo Tue 17-Mar-15 23:16:41

She didn't appear to be a còok in any sense the mother tjough, she said herself hubby did most of it

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 18-Mar-15 08:06:14

I would have warmed the liver up in gravy in the oven and made the leftover veg into a bubble and squeak type thing, but that might not be obvious to an inexperienced cook.

The woman did seem a little crazed after the three days. Maybe she should have treated herself to an afternoon gin and/or valium, as many housewives at the time did, as they were driven mad by the isolation and constant mind numbing housework.

Clawdy Wed 18-Mar-15 10:24:30

Depended on your background I guess, my mum would never have heard of valium and couldn't have afforded gin, but she did have her sister living two doors down and her parents two streets away, so she wasn't really isolated! Different world really.

eddiemairswife Wed 18-Mar-15 11:01:28

Just read that valium wasn't around in the 50s. I was surprised she couldn't use the tin-opener.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 18-Mar-15 11:20:16

I was just commenting on what the woman in the programme said Clawdy.

She complained about being at home on here own all day, but then as she had to go out and shop every day, it would appear that she was not totally isolated, but obviously is a far cry from working as a teacher. You're right in that if the women were generally at home all day, they would probably visit each others houses for tea etc.

It also looked like she was used to everyone eating together as a family, but her DH tended to eat on his own to fit in with the purpose of the programme so she probably missed out on that.

I've googled and see that valium wasn't popular until the 60s and 70s so maybe that will be be in the next couple of shows?

Overall I thought it was a very interesting programme, they seemed like a really nice family and it was amazing what they did to their house to take it back to the 1950s.

Davros Wed 18-Mar-15 11:38:19

Valium seems more of an American thing to me. In the 60s and 70s housewives drank and smoked a lot.

I missed the beginning of this, but watched most of it and found it fascinating!

I think it's clear that they chose someone who didn't have much experience or knowledge of the sort of home cooking that was the norm back then. I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s, so my mum had grown up and learned to cook in the 40s and 50s, so I have a certain amount of second hand knowledge that would have made the experience that Mrs Robshaw had easier, I think. For example - I remember the can openers that she struggled with - I don't doubt I would have struggled to do it, but at least I would have known what I was supposed to do - but that wouldn't have made such good TV, would it!

I was impressed with how willing the children were to try the food. My dses have tried liver, but only hot - there is no way they would have contemplated eating it cold! And they are reasonably adventurous, when it comes to food!

One thing that really struck me, was how much time Mrs Robshaw spent bending over, to do the food preparation. Not having a work top at the right height must have been backbreaking for her!

5Foot5 Wed 18-Mar-15 13:59:33

I like liver but would have struggled to eat it cold!

Couldn't see why the school children were being picky about their dinner though - mince, potatoes and cabbage, what's not to like?

OTW though I thought they seemed a nice family and willing to give things a proper go. LOL at that fancy dessert she tries to make for the coronation. I think I would have struggled with that even now with modern appliances and I am a reasonable cook and baker.

I thought it was interesting that, although they were sounding picky about the school dinner, the voice-over said they did all actually eat it.

getdownshep Wed 18-Mar-15 14:29:20

That mince school dinner is my dhs favourite , his mum makes him a big plate of it when he visits hersmile

invisibleperson Wed 18-Mar-15 16:26:30

I laughed out loud when they showed the interview clips from the late 1950s talking to women about buying all the new white goods and gadgets and one women was just completely upfront about buying them to make all her friends jealous and to show off... no hint of a smile on her face she was being completely honest about it. Oh if only FB had existed then she'd have been in her element grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now