Talk

Advanced search

Walking Dead, can someone please explain a couple of things to me? *spoilers*

(8 Posts)
UselessAtThis Sun 15-Feb-15 01:03:38

Why does everyone love Morgan and get excited when he briefly appears in the odd episode?

Don't get me wrong, I like Morgan I just don't get the hype.

(Also you know that when he catches up with the group Noah or Father Gabriel are going to die)

Why does everyone love Carol? I can't get over her killing Karen and Lizzie. The fact that she actually waited and thought it through before taking Lizzie outside to die is quite sickening.

And I love Rick and Michonne, but I don't think I'll ever quite forgive them for driving by a man twice whilst he was screaming for help. They were both completely alone at one point and they were both saved when a group took them in. It just seemed so cruel.

ZacharyQuack Sun 15-Feb-15 01:13:51

Morgan - I don't know. Perhaps in the comics he is a significant character, but on the TV not so much.

Carol. I love her because it's not often that a middle-aged woman, who is a DV survivor becomes a action hero. The group love her because if not for her, they would all probably been eaten at Terminus. I think she didn't have much choice but to kill Lizzie. Lizzie was a direct threat to Judith, and an indirect threat to anyone who was with her because she didn't appreciate that zombies were danger. If they had kept Lizzie with them, she may have killed Judith and put them all in danger. If Carol had left with Lizzie, Tyreese would be alone with a baby to protect, putting them in peril, and Lizzie was a liability. If Tyreese and her had abandoned Lizzie, she probably would have been killed by the zombies. Karen is a harder one to explain, I'm not sure if the rest of the group know, just Tyreese and Rick. Tyreese forgave her because that's his nature, Rick forgave her because she saved them at Terminus.

The scene where they didn't help the hitchhiker was to illustrate how hardened they were becoming. So were the scenes in the most recent episode with Rick and Glen talking about the death of someone else in the previous episode (being deliberately vague in case anyone reading this hasn't seen the new series yet). They're hardened and cynical and realise that it doesn't matter if you save or kill someone.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 15-Feb-15 01:26:36

Yes about Lizzie. Carol killed her because she put the entire group in danger.

As far as I remember, she killed Karen because she was hoping to stop the virus from spreading.

In both cases she was doing the pragmatic thing, which in that kind of world would be an inevitability if you wanted to survive. In earlier episodes Rick was still trying to be the good person who did the right thing, but that led the group into danger. On the other hand, Shane was the one who was willing to do the difficult things. Carol has, in effect, taken his place.

Preciousbane Sun 15-Feb-15 02:24:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

susiedaisy Sun 15-Feb-15 14:12:59

Morgan because he was the first person that Rick saw after waking from his coma. And he save ricks life and told Rick all about what happened which was also when the viewer learned more about the storyline

Not sure about Carole really, she's always been a wet blanket IMO she swings from being not much use to annihilating other members of the group.

WishICouldBeLikeTheCoolKids Sun 15-Feb-15 14:33:41

Not sure about Carole really, she's always been a wet blanket IMO she swings from being not much use to annihilating other members of the group.

Cannot stand Carole.

She seemed to have so much disgust for the children because they weren't into killing and violence (not just Lizzie and Mika but also Patrick). Of course you need to educate them but she genuinely seemed to hold contempt for them and view them as weak. Despite being a pretty weak character herself at the start.

It was a selfish thing to do by killing Karen and David(?) when they are too weak to defend themselves and then burn their bodies. Look at someone like Hershal who risked his life to help those people get better.

She couldn't even protect her own daughter and was ready to abandon the group without a word.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 15-Feb-15 19:44:37

It could be argued that Hershel - as the closest thing they had to a doctor - was selfish to put himself at risk.

Also, I don't think you can say Carole is useless when she single handedly saved them all from being eaten by cannibals. I think she's a really interesting character, the way she's evolved over the episodes.

midori1999 Sun 15-Feb-15 19:56:46

She couldn't even protect her own daughter

I think that's the whole point, isn't it? Carol started out as someone who was abused and downtrodden. She wasn't able to protect her daughter in any way, from seeing the abuse, being abused and ultimately dying. The story shows how her experiences have changed and hardened her. She is fiercely loyal IMO.

The whole show is about how the characters develop and change. Look at Rick. In the early episodes Laurie described him as weak/too soft. Last season he but a mans throat out. All the characters are very different to who they were at the start.

As for Morgan, I don't get it either. I don't think he's in the comics.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: