Talk

Advanced search

No one watching the primary school programme?

(20 Posts)
Nerf Thu 12-Feb-15 21:39:50

Just wondered. Thought the teacher was a bit harsh with the bereaved child.

LetticeKnollys Thu 12-Feb-15 21:44:19

I am! I think she expressed herself badly at the "well, that's what happens [when someone dies]" but didn't really mean it like that IYSWIM. Overall she's probably been a good influence in his life!

When he sang his mum's song and said "but I'll never see her again..." it made me teary. sad

It's a strong reminder that there's often an unhappy home life behind 'badly behaved' children.

Nerf Thu 12-Feb-15 21:46:25

Yes I think she was out of her depth. So shouldn't really have been doing it.
And that other teacher is really tactile with the kids. Which is sort of good because it makes all the scare stories about not being allowed to put a plaster on look slightly exaggerated!

Horseradishes Thu 12-Feb-15 21:47:55

Yes I'm watching. I think she really cares for him, it's very sad. I don't envy the teachers, 90% arrive with English as additional language, bloody hell!

PopTarts Thu 12-Feb-15 21:49:27

I'm watching! I thought she was a bit matter of fact but he seems to love her and she seems very fond of him too.

Welling up at little lee and his song sad

Horseradishes Thu 12-Feb-15 21:49:41

I noticed how tactile he is too. It surprised me, he seems like a really good guy though.

arlagirl Thu 12-Feb-15 21:51:16

I'm really enjoying it. Love Erica. Sparky.

NormHonal Thu 12-Feb-15 22:01:07

Oh my word, I've just had a proper sob watching this [hormonal] << living up to my NN.

Poor Lee, losing his mum. Loved little Erica - reminded me of my own DD. And those teachers...dealing with all of that. Especially as an NQT. Amazing.

Good to be taken out of my white-middle-class bubble for a while.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 12-Feb-15 22:03:56

Yes, I thought the teacher just didn't know what to say to that poor lad. I'd like to think that the boy has had access to some form of counselling. I know at dds school when another child lost a parent the school arranged this.

As for the non english speaking kids it must be so difficult. How on earth do they pick english up? Do they get english lessons or do they just have to struggle on till they pick it up? I missed the beginning so sorry if this was covered.

AlfieandAnnieRose Thu 12-Feb-15 22:07:29

Which program/channel was this? Sounds interesting

VivaLeBeaver Thu 12-Feb-15 22:08:48

It was just on channel five.

meglet Thu 12-Feb-15 22:10:13

it was channel 5.

Instituteofstudies Thu 12-Feb-15 22:41:05

just watched on catch up. Fascinating. Really impressed with the assistant head and mr mcnally. Was so good to see that Lee got to stay at the school. utterly tragic him losing his mum. He's doing so well bless him. The bit with the song really was heart-rending. Some amazing kids. Refa looked overwhelmed with all her cards and fighting to look after her. Am looking forward to the rest of the series

Horseradishes Fri 13-Feb-15 07:54:54

Viva the non English speakers were sat with others who spoke their language, eg tgere was a Portuguese boy who spoke no English but two others who did now. The teachers helped but also expected the parents etc to help at home as it's impractical for them to do all the work - they had about ten different languages!

MiaowTheCat Fri 13-Feb-15 08:44:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlfieandAnnieRose Fri 13-Feb-15 19:00:03

Thanks I found it, it's called Britain's biggest primary school.

Theas18 Fri 13-Feb-15 19:04:13

Ta I'll look out for this.

thegreylady Fri 13-Feb-15 20:03:32

Oh I'll look for it too.

threepiecesuite Fri 13-Feb-15 20:47:08

I did wonder if such a large school was the right place for so many EAL kids and how that came about really.
They must have felt overwhelmed starting a new school in a new country with minimal English. But to be thrown into the mix with many hundreds of kids (how many?), do they really get the tailored support and nurture they need?

arlagirl Fri 13-Feb-15 21:12:33

Don't get much choice in London schools threepiecesuite.
Oversubscribed, and many of them are at least two form entry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: