Advanced search

Casual vacancy on BBC1... Have they changed the ending? [[edited by MN to say SPOILER ALERTAMUNDO <bleaches eyes>]]

(21 Posts)
JoyceDivision Wed 11-Feb-15 20:59:17

I think i read it some where the beeb told J K Rowling it was too grim and they wanted it to be more uplifting.... eh/???

Southeastdweller Wed 11-Feb-15 21:03:17

Oh no, really? Haven't read much about the TV series other than that they've expanded the Krystal character but disappointed to read this about the ending.

NancyJones Wed 11-Feb-15 21:06:15

Oh I really hope not. That would destroy the whole fabric of the story.
It's one of my favourite books despite being so harrowing.

JoyceDivision Wed 11-Feb-15 21:07:14

I think it was online at daily mirror or mail... i was killing time at work grin

I will be really annoyed... I love the book and it had me in tears... t was so sad, all so easily avoidable yet it seemed inevitable...

glad I've read it before I watch it!

Bakeoffcakes Wed 11-Feb-15 21:35:10

I've read it but can't remember the ending.

Did K die?

JoyceDivision Wed 11-Feb-15 21:37:39

**********SPOILER ALERT **********

******** YES - ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO READ THE NEXT POST? *******************************

JoyceDivision Wed 11-Feb-15 21:39:46

********** REALLY? OK THEN..... *****************

No, K does not die, her little brother does... wanderingaround by theriver while K shags Fats in the bushes as she desperately wants to pregnant to get a flat so she cabn take care of her little brother and the
inks Fats family may help her along as they seem ewell off / decent

more besides but all very sad and horrible how you can see what is happening and you think 'nnooooo!!'

Bakeoffcakes Wed 11-Feb-15 21:49:10

Oh yes I remember now! Thank you for that. I'm blaming the menopause for my mapemory failure!

It's daft to change the ending. It's surprising JK agreed to it.

Bakeoffcakes Wed 11-Feb-15 21:50:01

Sorry - memory.

NancyJones Wed 11-Feb-15 22:13:48

Eh, JD, in the book she does indeed die. Grabs mother's drugs and locks herself in the bathroom

InfinitySeven Wed 11-Feb-15 22:16:47

Yes, the ending is changed. The BBC wanted to give it an uplifting end, and ensure that it inspires people rather than depresses them. JK Rowling didn't want to rewrite the ending, but the BBC sent a "suggested" ending and they agreed to go with that.

JoyceDivision Wed 11-Feb-15 22:20:39

Argghhh NancyJones you are right I had a brain block!!!

I got so upset reading the bit about robbie (especially the bit where while the girl who rescued him has her family suddenly being attentive and taking control for her and in comparison to this it said no onecame to see robbie in his cold box or something) that I completely forgot that K does lock herself in the bathroom!

I loved this book, it was my first jk rowling book, I hope the beeb don't change the characters don't all look how I had them pictured,,, shall have to watch and see,....

NancyJones Wed 11-Feb-15 22:32:36

Fantastic book IMO.
I know lots if people say it's dull and boring but for me that was its genius. The horror was portrayed as everyday life. No drama, nothing added for affect, just how hideous life can be for some people.
I think changing the ending changes the whole fatalistic dynamic of the book.

Davros Wed 11-Feb-15 22:33:56

Yes the ending has been changed. Big article in this week's Radio Times

RingtheBells Thu 12-Feb-15 19:24:58

It was just being discussed on the One show and a couple of the actors who are on there said it was an adaptation. I do hope it hasn't been changed too much, I loved the book and was really looking forward to this.

Southeastdweller Thu 12-Feb-15 19:34:41

I read the interview with the writer in the new Radio Times. She changed the ending because she felt viewers wouldn't be able to deal with the misery hmm. And that she 'had to find some kind of redemptive moment at the end of it all' (but she doesn't say why).

Davros Thu 12-Feb-15 22:21:37

JKR is a Exec Producer and has agreed to it. I have not read the book but looking forward to TV prog. From the article in the RT it sounds like a modern Mapp & Lucia!

gincamelbak Fri 13-Feb-15 13:57:54

I really enjoyed the book, apart from the relentlessly miserable ending. By complete surprise, I was really affected by it.

I don't know if I can watch it though, would be thinking of the book and end up a snivelling wreck.blush

JohnFarleysRuskin Fri 13-Feb-15 13:59:42

I can't wait to see it.

I hope they change the ending - lightweight. I wept and wept.

GreenShadow Fri 13-Feb-15 14:55:44

Really looking forward to it as well, but I am already feeling sorry for my DH.

I work for a parish council and already know that they are going to be getting so many bits wrong (the book certainly did and the odd clip of the film has already had me shouting at the errors on the screen).

It was also filmed where I live, so when not pointing out mistakes, we'll both be pointing at places we know.

The80sweregreat Fri 13-Feb-15 17:38:52

I liked the book ( she is a great author, i love the Strike books too) but they shouldnt have messed with the ending. It really was sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now