Talk

Advanced search

Any good British sitcoms recently?

(21 Posts)
BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 10:41:25

Or situation dramas, whatever that genre is called.

I've been rewatching Teachers and Spaced and Life on Mars, and I love stuff like that. But have they made any good ones recently, that aren't off the wall wacky? I wasn't keen on Green Wing, for example, because of the craziness. I prefer it when the humour just comes about because of the characters just doing their normal thing.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 31-Jan-15 10:52:21

I really enjoyed the BBC4 series Getting On (set in a geriatrics ward, starring Joanna Scanlan, Vicki Pepperdine and Jo Brand) and more recently Puppy Love (also Joanna Scanlan and Vicki Pepperdine). Both low key and quite dark at times. My all time favourite though was Early Doors. Very slow, gentle humour, where you cared about the characters. Poignant too.

Tangoandcreditcards Sat 31-Jan-15 10:55:01

Really enjoying Catastrophe on C4 at the moment.

Madamecastafiore Sat 31-Jan-15 10:56:07

Friday Night Dinner is hilarious.

ThesaurusJones Sat 31-Jan-15 11:00:20

Yes Catastrophe is brilliant as long as you're up for a lot of sex and swearing.

Looking forward to Cucumber and if you want a really good "situation drama", try The Legacy (Danish family drama from the makers of Borgen).

I think you would love Him & Her if you haven't seen it.

BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 11:01:56

Oh, I loved Friday Night Dinner, I think? Was that the one with Tamsin Greig and the Jewish mother?

SavoyCabbage Sat 31-Jan-15 11:02:58

I love

The smoking room
Him and her
Love Soup

BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 11:03:57

Oh and Episodes I liked too.

I haven't heard of most of these - I'll look them up.

AlpacaLypse Sat 31-Jan-15 11:05:49

We enjoyed Bluestone 42. Army friends who saw it reckoned the scriptwriters had the attitude of soldiers posted to Afghan bang on, although the partners left at home all found it a bit too close to the knuckle and decided to avoid it.

BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 11:07:27

Ooh, all of these sound great - I especially want to try Puppy Love, Catastrophe and Him and Her now grin

Thanks!

Flywheel Sat 31-Jan-15 11:09:08

Another vote for catastrophe. Really enjoying it so far

Makeoneupnow Sat 31-Jan-15 11:09:46

Early Doors was great fab cast.
I really like Friday Night Dinner

lem73 Sat 31-Jan-15 11:10:28

I loved Friday Night Dinner but it doesn't look like there's another series on the way. Bad Education is hilarious and Not Going Out is a classic.

msrisotto Sat 31-Jan-15 11:10:36

Yes to catastrophe. Can't think of ahh other British ones I'm watching at the moment though.

TwatFaceBitch Sat 31-Jan-15 11:15:30

Fresh meat. Channel 4, should be on 4od

Defenitely have to watch from season 1.

I still watch spaced too, never get bored of it.

IvanOsokin Sat 31-Jan-15 11:19:32

I've just watched Uncle, which is still on iPlayer I think. Repeated from last winter but it made me laugh.

BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 11:19:50

See I wasn't sure about Fresh Meat, I thought it might be a bit Green-Wing esque. I'll try it though.

TwatFaceBitch Sat 31-Jan-15 11:27:18

No not like greenwing at all, it's just about the different characters you end up being thrown with at uni. So a little bit more like spaced.

ThesaurusJones Sat 31-Jan-15 11:27:28

No Fresh Meat is not like Green Wing - it's very "real", nothing unlikely or surreal ever happens. It's actually more emotional and more about all the insecurities everyone has underneath (though also v funny)

BertieBotts Sat 31-Jan-15 11:31:57

Ahh okay! smile That will take me back then grin

I'm going to avoid The Smoking Room. Teachers always gives me the urge to have a cigarette and I'm meant to have given up hmm

Davros Sat 31-Jan-15 19:18:03

Ambassadors
The trip 1&2
Uncle
cuckoo
Episodes
Lead balloon (old but well worth it)
Peep show
The in betweenness
W1A
Count Arthur Strong (acquired taste)
Coupling (very old but brilliant)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: