Talk

Advanced search

Silent Witness

(64 Posts)
Peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 20-Jan-15 19:23:17

Anyone know why Liz Carr (Clarissa)'s name is at the top of the end credits?

arlagirl Tue 20-Jan-15 19:23:57

I wondered that

MajorBumsore Tue 20-Jan-15 22:14:43

I did too. Is it always? Anyone else feel unsettled at the end of that? I usually feel like loose ends are tied up but feel quite disturbed. Maybe it's because I used to be a sw.

SinglePringle Tue 20-Jan-15 22:17:10

They do it regularly - put the 'other' lead (ie. not Emilia) before the others if a) the actor warrants it and b) they've got a good agent!

TotalBlamBlam Tue 20-Jan-15 22:44:24

Can anyone explain why Kevin wasn't arrested for murder of Dan or maybe I missed that bit.

midgeymum2 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:51:40

I think they concluded that Kevin didn't do it, it was actually his grandfather who was also his father. I don't understand as I thought we saw Kevin do it in yesterday's episode although I was mumsnetting at the same time so many confused confused

Optimist1 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:53:31

Very, very dark - I'm surprised social workers ever stay longer than a month.

Norfolkandchance1234 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:57:50

I thought the Social worker was going to be part of an awful paedo ring involving the judge and main doctor. It did look like she was taking the children away for reasons other.

I thought we saw Kevin kill Daniel. I guess the evidence was inconclusive and therefore at least one child didn't have their life completely ruined by circumstances beyond their control.

firefly78 Tue 20-Jan-15 22:59:32

as a social worker that was highly depressing. would she really go back to work after trying to commit suicide??

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Tue 20-Jan-15 22:59:41

We were watching this, and were pretty disturbed at the portrayal of the social worker. But then, we thought, perhaps that's what wanted to put across - that social workers are the ones listening to everyone - parents, doctors, judges - lots of conflicting opinions, then they have to make a recommendation, just an impossible job.

But yeah, Kevin didn't commit any murders (I think) - and his story ended relatively happily.

MrsMcRuff Tue 20-Jan-15 23:04:24

If Kevin didn't do it, what was the significance of the hamster in the car? I found it even harder than usual to follow this week! And yes to it being very unsettling.

TotalBlamBlam Tue 20-Jan-15 23:05:50

Thanks all. I'm enjoying this series, although at times it is a little far fetched.

SymphonyofShadows Wed 21-Jan-15 10:19:42

We saw Kevin hit the step dad and I think you were supposed to think he killed him. IIRC they had CCTV of the grandfather getting into the taxi and fingerprints in blood on the car door. He set the boy up by putting the hamster in the car. They said that DNA in the taxi was a paternal match to Kevin so that is how they knew for definite that he was his father as well as his grandfather. I think the grandfather thought that Kevin would kill the SF after telling him about the sister being PG, then did it himself when Kevin didn't do it after all.

Perhaps the actress who plays Clarissa doesn't appear in the titles at the beginning so they always put her first at the end? I wonder if it's because she isn't a 'main' character as she doesn't lead any of the stories?

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 21-Jan-15 10:28:24

I found last week's absolutely impossible to follow, so this week's is a breeze in comparison!

I wondered if Liz Carr's credit was because she's sort of famous in a different arena (comedian/activist) so it's a cameo role? It doesn't matter, I'm just so curious!

pinkfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 10:54:54

I'm actually a bit tired of the series now- they used to deal with dead bodies- and how they died. Now it's another detective drama. The forensic team do stuff that they really would not in RL- they'd be stuck in the lab, not running around trying to catch villains. Each series seems to push the boundaries further and it's now become a bit of a joke as far as their involvement goes. I don't warm to the ast this time either- loved Harry and the last lot and Amanda Burton but now they are all a bit insipid.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 21-Jan-15 11:30:44

Pink I almost stopped watching when Harry and Leo were no more, but just can't help myself.

ScrumpyBetty Wed 21-Jan-15 12:30:47

Me too peace I couldn't imagine a series without Leo ...sob sob...but somehow I'm still watching. I like Jack and Clarissa, and the blonde lady but all the other characters are a bit difficult to bond with as we seem to have a different set of detectives every week!

pinkfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 12:43:48

The point is the title is Silent Witness- meaning the bodies they deal with are dead already- well, that's how it used to be! Now, we are always in the middle of murders being planned and committed. The forensics bit seems to have got lost along the way except as an after thought.

MrsMcRuff Wed 21-Jan-15 12:51:37

Would a forensics team be getting involved in analysis of mobile phone coverage like they did last night, and then searching for the whereabouts of a missing child? (I don't know, maybe lack of funding means forensics teams have to multitask, these days?)

I think a suspension of disbelief is essential, and sometimes the plots are beyond me, but am still loving the series smile

SymphonyofShadows Wed 21-Jan-15 12:52:44

pinkfrocks I find Emila Fox very insipid, that is exactly the right word. Like you say, it's ridiculous how involved they are in each murder.

rumbelina Wed 21-Jan-15 12:56:50

OP I wondered about that. I thought she might have died so googled her (she's alive).

It's a bit odd I think, comes across as the actor being a bit of a diva.

rumbelina Wed 21-Jan-15 12:58:04

Silent Witness is TOTAL suspension of disbelief. I don't even know anything about police procedure but I am very hmm at a lot of it.

I still enjoy it though.

pinkfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 16:28:14

I think looking at the trailer for next week there i s going to be a 'love angle' for Jack. In the old days it was all about the simpering looks between Harry and Emilia - would they/ wouldn't they thing. They need something else in it apart from the 'whodunit' angle. I also thought last night's was predictable- half way through Monday's episode I told DH 'It's the grandad'. Was clear as crystal.

SymphonyofShadows Wed 21-Jan-15 16:36:31

When the SW looked at the mum in hospital's stomach and asked when the baby was due, DP said "perhaps she is selling babies after all". TBH with the way storylines are going it wouldn't have surprised me

Sleepyhoglet Wed 21-Jan-15 17:39:29

The bit at the end where he dad said that they missed their boy's first step choked me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: