Talk

Advanced search

is anyone watching shut ins: britains fattest people

(9 Posts)
Lemsy Thu 08-Jan-15 21:56:51

It's appalling. No-one is calling the hideous treatment of that poor muslim woman who is being horribly abused by her husband. Even the psychologist talks like it isn't happening.

What's going on?

Instituteofstudies Thu 08-Jan-15 23:23:11

It was shocking wasn't it? You wouldn't speak to a dog like he spoke to his wife. His anger issues did seem to get addressed later on though after he had an argument with the personal trainer but up to that point I don't think the dietician was dealing with it seriously enough.

I liked the programme for not being sensational or poking fun. I thought it was sympathetic towards the two people featured and showed the people helping them in a good light too. I just wish that Aftab had been really told that he couldn't carry on speaking/yelling to his wife because it was totally unacceptable and abusive.

seaoflove Thu 08-Jan-15 23:28:33

She was so young too, only 21. I said to DH that I wondered what led her to choose him. Was she running away from her own family/hometown? Did the idea of a sexless marriage appeal somehow? They'd only been married for 15 months, so she must have had a vague idea of what she was letting herself in for. She seemed like a sweet girl, but not many people would choose to be a wife/carer/skivvy/emotional punchbag rolled into one.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 08-Jan-15 23:36:57

I'm watching it now on 4/7.

I'm also feeling sorry for Abdul's wife.

seaoflove Thu 08-Jan-15 23:46:21

I did laugh when Aftab (I think that was his name?) was shouting at her for leaving the door open, and letting mosquitos in, because he might catch malaria and die and THEN she'd be sorry. Arse.

Vivacia Fri 09-Jan-15 04:45:08

I thought that they were both rather dislikable people.

seaoflove Fri 09-Jan-15 09:25:25

I also remember Sharon. She'd been in the media before, definitely on This Morning. I don't remember the angle (possibly "Britain's Fattest Bride"?) but she seemed happier then. I guess being eight stone lighter and not knowing your fiancé was going to make you housebound would do that...

It would be interesting to see a follow up of both of these couples. I'm not sure either are headed for a happy ending.

tiktok Fri 09-Jan-15 10:28:26

I watched it. The programme skirted around the issues of abuse - there's another programme in that topic, I think.

Poor Millie - definitely abused by her husband, but still hopeful at the end that they could have a relationship. Sharon has been in the media several times, and was shown a while ago on a morning TV 'fat fighters' segment screaming and yelling because the mentors had found her chocolate stash - it's prob on YouTube. I think she is prob an attention-seeker in some form and is clearly in need of help. Her husband is abusive - he's the one feeding her and in control of her weight. I think the programme said they'd been married a couple of years and in that time she had gained eight stone. It's probably more accurate to think of them as making each other's mental and emotional conditions worse, in a horribly mutual co-dependent way. Dieting and gastric band ops are not going to fix any of that sad

Vivacia Fri 09-Jan-15 16:33:26

I thought their relationship was disfunctional. She seemed to pretty much abuse him, or at least manipulate him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now