Talk

Advanced search

Two questions about Broadchurch.....

(21 Posts)
Hakluyt Thu 08-Jan-15 16:45:47

1. Can I start watching the new one before I've finished the old one?

2. I am watching the old one even though I know who did it. For those who didn't, was it really obvious? Or am I falling for hindsight being 20:20 vision.........

Hakluyt Thu 08-Jan-15 16:47:04

Obvious because he's never mentioned as a suspect, and stuff like that I mean, not because of proper clues..........

LoveVintage Thu 08-Jan-15 16:49:51

I have started watching series two even though I didn't see the first series. Where are you watching the first series on? I'd quite like to watch it soon and record series two then catch up on it.

Hakluyt Thu 08-Jan-15 19:01:50

I'm watching it on Amazon Instant Video- I had to pay though! 7.99.

chicaguapa Thu 08-Jan-15 19:06:40

Those who swear that it was the least person you'd expect whodunit would probably say it was obvious. But I think the majority of people had no idea and were disappointed with the reveal. The rule book for whodunit is that there usually has to be some clues so there's half a chance of guessing. But I don't recall anything at all.

Hakluyt Thu 08-Jan-15 19:36:00

No, I haven't seen any clues yet- which is wholly against the conventions of the genre. But the absence of clues maks him stand out- certainly in retrospect. And the overwhelming obvious guilt of every other suspect is a bit hard to take as well!

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 08-Jan-15 19:44:04

I don't think the new series will make much sense unless you've seen the previous one. The relationships are v complex...

Shadow1986 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:44:21

I guessed who it was, but I can't remember at what stage. I think there is a clue from miller somewhere that lead me to guess. My sister and mum didn't guess so don't think it's really really obvious.

I would finish first series first!!

beanlovesb Thu 08-Jan-15 21:03:17

SPOILER ALERT
I didn't guess AT ALL but in hindsight the clues I have remembered are - 1: Danny and Tom fell out and the vicar (? I think) said the parents were told but Miller said she didn't know, so it must have been the dad that was told (and for obvious reasons kept it a secret). 2: in one scene where Miller goes to visit dad and baby in a scate park she says they are starting to suspect everyone and he asks "what even me? " then they have a cringey convo about her taking her handcuffs on him (in a sexy way, bleurgh). early on in the season my bf said maybe it's him and I was very dismissive because he was such a nice character... or so I thought!!

Hakluyt Thu 08-Jan-15 21:16:38

It is odd that he wasn't questioned- surely best friend's dad would b an automatic suspect? Still, I suppose there are so many other stereotype child killers they didn't have time to get round to him!

TheLovelyBoots Fri 09-Jan-15 09:19:30

You should absolutely watch the first season. I'm considering re-watching it because I can't remember anything.

I do so love BC.

hackmum Fri 09-Jan-15 18:39:30

When I watched the first series (some weeks after it ended), I already knew who'd done it because I'd made the mistake of reading a review after the final episode. But armed with that knowledge, I really felt they didn't give you anything that would have enabled you to work it out yourself (I don't think I even spotted the things that beanlovesb mentions).

But I do think you have to watch the first series, because the second one won't make any sense otherwise.

Hakluyt Fri 09-Jan-15 19:28:16

I've got one more episode to go. I don't think there have been any clues pointing to the murderer at all. I spotted the ones mentioned on here, but I don't see how you could possibly work it out. Unless Tom's behaviour is supposed to have been a clue- who is he protecting?

Incidentally, I do wish people on the baby names threads who want to call their girls cutesy pretty names would watch it. Ellie is so incongruous a name for her- you can see why everyone calls her El.

Rainicorn Mon 12-Jan-15 10:45:12

I watched the first episode of the new series and didn't have much of a clue what was going on so ended up watching the first series.

No idea why it skipped me by as it was a great first series. Quite a few times I cried, mainly with Jack and then the last series.

It wasn't obvious to me who did it, but as I knew who it was I was looking for them.

There was a part where Ellie was talking to Pauline Quirks character where she says "how could you not know it was going on under your own roof" which I think was a huge clue.

Rainicorn Mon 12-Jan-15 10:59:44

Last episode, not series

LoveVintage Mon 12-Jan-15 16:48:18

Thanks. I wouldn't mind paying that to watch it. Think in will buy it and record second series.

Hobby2014 Mon 12-Jan-15 16:51:38

Yes watch first series. I watched it and still can't remember half of it whilst watching new series. It follows on.

Hakluyt Mon 12-Jan-15 17:16:12

LoveVintage- I'm sure you won't- but don't do the stupid thing I did and buy the episodes one at a time when I felt like watching one, not noticing that it would have cost half as much just to buy the series......................

flightywoman Mon 12-Jan-15 18:03:19

I had absolutely no idea at all and it was ultra-thrilling!

SPOILER ALERT...

There was one thing that I realised was a clue afterwards - the thing about the killer having big hands and later on a close-up of his hands

PennyPinkleton Mon 12-Jan-15 18:26:41

Series 1 is currently on demand on Sky

LoveVintage Mon 12-Jan-15 20:09:16

Oh even better, I shall spend the money saved on accompanying alcoholic beverages and snacks grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: