Advanced search

Foyle's War- New Series

(18 Posts)
flashystars Sun 04-Jan-15 11:44:03

Can't wait for this tonight...anyone else looking forward to it?

Clawdy Sun 04-Jan-15 15:11:09

I used to love it, but not so keen on the "espionage" style storylines in the last series. Will watch tonight though.

rightsaidthread Sun 04-Jan-15 15:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clawdy Mon 12-Jan-15 14:38:14

Really enjoying this series now,glad I've got back into it! Last night's was excellent. Doesn't Honeysuckle Weekes look thin,though? She seems to have lost a lot of weight.

squoosh Mon 12-Jan-15 16:09:51

Yes I thought she looked a bit drawn in last night's episode. I think I prefer the post WWII storylines.

flashystars Mon 12-Jan-15 19:01:54

She looks older than 35.

AgnesGrey Sun 18-Jan-15 22:30:27

Hilda !

Clawdy Sun 18-Jan-15 22:50:18

Last ever episode tonight! sad It was really gripping too.

OverAndAbove Sun 18-Jan-15 22:52:12

Gosh yes wasn't it! I really really didn't want her to be a baddy. Very exciting!

ANewMein2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:52:32

Last ever?!?!!??! I didnt realise sad

Clawdy Sun 18-Jan-15 22:58:41

The end did confuse me a exactly did the Gestapo know about the girl agents?

AgnesGrey Mon 19-Jan-15 00:15:46

Clawdy - they somehow compromised the agents in France and carried on communicating with SOE using their radios . We weren't told how , the thing is they did it . The Radio Man knew they had when he called his trusted agent on the radio and he had a german accent , told Hilda's SOE boss, and the boss did nothing about it - knowing that the Gestapo were picking up all the messages about when agents were arriving.

Well that's how I understood it grin

Rhubarb01 Mon 19-Jan-15 00:55:32

Just popped in to join in briefly. I didn't realise it was the last ever episode either until the announcer confirmed it tonight!

As for the plot of this week's story the writer has based it as he usually does on true events. In this case it's on the collapse of what was known as the Prospero circuit in the Paris area in 1943/44. The Hilda Pierce character is I believe based on Vera Atkins who was a lynchpin in the SOE French section during WW2. It was suspected that there was a double agent working for the circuit in France. Lots of agents were picked up by the Germans almost immediately when they arrived in France because the drop areas were known in advance but SOE in London didn't know this. There were lots of hints that all was not well and it was questioned whether the radio operators had fallen into German hands and been persuaded to work for them or were being imitated by German radio operators who had access to their codes. One of the senior SOE officers did fly over France and communicate by radio to speak to one of the agents to try to confirm what was happening and reported that the contact had a German accent and he believed this proved that they were in German hands and therefore compromised but his warnings were ignored. Agents continued to be dropped into France despite the evidence that things had gone wrong for quite some time afterwards until the Germans themselves revealed the truth by sending a plain text radio message to London.

I only happen to know this because I very recently read a book all about Vera Atkins which covers these events and it was interesting to see this being portrayed in the story tonight.

Clawdy Mon 19-Jan-15 09:41:29

Thanks Agnes and Rhubarb, really interesting info there. But why did they keep sending them across to France,knowing the game was basically up?

Icimoi Mon 19-Jan-15 09:45:07

In the story it was because they wanted to save SOE which was generally regarded with suspicion and might have been for the chop if the facts came out. No idea whether that was the reason in RL.

Icimoi Mon 19-Jan-15 09:45:45

What's the book, Rhubarb? Sounds interesting.

Rhubarb01 Mon 19-Jan-15 11:48:23

The book is called 'A Life in Secrets ' - The story of Vera Atkins and the lost agents of SOE and is by Sarah Helm. Its about Vera Atkins' life and her search after the war to find out what happened to SOE agents who were captured and did not return, particularly a group of 5 or 6 female agents. However, it also talks in some detail about the situation in 1943/44 when there was uncertainty about what had happened to the Prospero Circuit. There were some suggestions that the warning signs about the agents being captured and the circuit compromised were ignored in London because there may have been a double agent within SOE itself but nothing ever came of this and no one was ever brought to book for it. It may just have been a very sad catalogue of failures that cost quite a few agents their lives.

LouiseBrooks Mon 19-Jan-15 15:14:23

I too have read "A Life in Secrets" and it's a wonderful book, highly recommended.

I am very sorry to see the end of Foyle. I am in love with Michael Kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now