Talk

Advanced search

The big allotment challenge

(11 Posts)
2rebecca Sat 03-Jan-15 20:15:26

Has improved this series with more time spent showing them growing. I like the fact that the cooking woman marked them down for not cooking with stuff from their allotments as well. It's a shame the young guy left, it seems harsh to kick people out after just 1 week and he probably just didn't have enough show experience to realise size was important for new potatoes as I prefer small new potatoes. I'd have preferred the nasty woman who was rude to him to go.
Zinnias looked like a very boring flower, why does anyone bother to grow them? I doubt that here in Scotland they do.

LIZS Sat 03-Jan-15 20:20:45

I wish they did a few programmes at the beginning just showing the planning stages of each patch, some of the challenges like weather over the duration and allow more time to introduce the participants. I'm undecided about the teams being only one person this time

2rebecca Sat 03-Jan-15 20:34:06

I prefer it being only one person, it seems fairer that way so you can't team up with someone who has the skills you lack but have to try and be more of an all rounder, plus on my allotment site most plots have 1 main person on them, family members may help but there's usually just 1 person there regularly.
I still wish they got points for how many edible potatoes they got and how tasty they were not just how identical and big they are. Quality and quantity are far more important to most allotmenteers than producing a few identical veg or flowers you can then faff on with.
I'm also surprised the woman who won with her sauce wasn't marked down for using apples that are unlikely to have been grown on the allotment in 10 weeks.
I agree that showing more planning would be interesting. It wasn't clear why the young lad went for the show if he had exams part way through it, although it doesn't take long to sew a line of flower seeds so he maybe forgot about them.
They should maybe have 2 weeks with no competitions where you just see them planning and tending to their allotments over the 10 weeks and they could then start getting rid of them and do it 2 at a time in a couple of programmes so its the same number of weeks.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Wed 07-Jan-15 13:25:09

I just watched this and while I enjoyed it, I agree, more on the initial planning would be great.
I also think they should sack the entire cooking section as I find Thane quite annoying and there are enough cooking shows on TV.
I want to see the veg and flower growing - those parts were good.
The judges seem to do a lot of hanging about while the other judges are judging (!). I bet that Thane witters on and on!

MILLYmo0se Sun 11-Jan-15 11:37:19

Ya, I don't really understand what the cooking part has to do with it all, you could be an amazing gardener and get booted out cos you can't cook ! Very silly imo . I think it would make sense to have one person ( a judge) that cooks the same dish using the same ingredients from each plot so you can judge who grew the tastiest specimens, rather than on the contestents individual abilities to combine tastes etc .

2rebecca Sun 11-Jan-15 17:02:22

Agree, the lollies looked good though but I agree there are enough cookery programmes and they should just cook and taste the produce so taste as well as appearance are judged. I have my allotment to grow tasty things I can't buy in the supermarket.
Was jealous of their cucumbers, mine were tiny but I am in Scotland. Suspect most of the flowers wouldn't cope up here. I can do sweet peas and nasturtiums.

DonkeysYears Fri 16-Jan-15 21:54:30

What the hey? This programme's hilarious! Is it a spoof? grin

Methe Fri 16-Jan-15 21:57:02

I can't bare Thane. The way she eats especially but also the way she stands, talks, patronises and basically exists. I'd say she ruined the programme for me but to be honest is it complete shit and a waste of a hour.

I have no idea why I am even watching it.

DonkeysYears Fri 16-Jan-15 21:58:40

Why are they all standing with their hands on each others shoulders?

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 16-Jan-15 21:59:46

They're trying to get the innuendos in aren't they?!

I'd like to know how much time they actually spend on the allotment. In real life you'd be there most days but the contestants wouldn't be able to go there (wherever its filmed) every day all summer.

DonkeysYears Fri 16-Jan-15 22:00:51

Yeah that Thane is awful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: