Talk

Advanced search

What are your ultimate comfort escapism box sets?

(31 Posts)
TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Dec-14 18:35:20

When things are a bit more shit than usual, one of the things that cheers me up is watching escapism TV for comfort, especially feel-good American dramas.

Ally McBeal got me through a lonely and tiring pregnancy when I was commuting 2 hours each way across London and had moved away from all my friends and knew nobody in the new area.

Parenthood got me through the uncertainty and stress of DS2's assessment and diagnosis (also helpful that there is a character in it with similar problems).

I am facing the first Christmas since my brother died, and recovering from a shit year (mental illness in one of my children, another was a victim of crime) and I have just discovered my new comfort box set: Gilmore Girls. It completely ticks all the boxes: quirky, feel-good escapism.

What box sets have got you through less-than -ideal times?

saturnvista Mon 22-Dec-14 18:36:59

Brothers and sisters.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 22-Dec-14 18:39:27

30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
The Big Bang Theory

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Dec-14 18:39:56

YY to Brothers & Sisters!!! That's exactly the sort of thing I mean.

TheTravellingLemon Mon 22-Dec-14 18:42:12

I'm sorry for your loss.

I came on here to recommend Gilmore Girls. Just coming to the end of series 1 myself. Just the kind of thing I need at the moment.

My go to standard for difficult times is Buffy. It's like my security blanket smile

ooerrmissus Mon 22-Dec-14 18:42:24

The west wing. Spent most of second pregnancy watching it. Ds2 is actually named after one of the characters.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Dec-14 18:47:40

I did enjoy the West Wing, but it was a bit serious for true comfort viewing. Also, you sometimes have to concentrate.

I just can't believe how perfect Gilmore Girls is for what I need right now. It's like I've found the DVD equivalent of "the one" smile
Have only watched a third of Season 1 so far.

TheTravellingLemon Mon 22-Dec-14 19:04:25

West Wing is a good call. I've seen the first few series about a million times.

PotatoesPastaAndBread Mon 22-Dec-14 19:09:16

Friends. An oldie but a goodie. I can switch my brain off and watch ten in a row.

MaryWestmacott Mon 22-Dec-14 19:13:35

Bit different, but when things are a bit shit, there's something very comforting about the BBC adaptation of pride and prejudice (the one with Colin firth as mr. Darcy)

All bonnets and balls and men looking dashing.

AnotherGirlsParadise Mon 22-Dec-14 19:16:40

Gavin & Stacey and Benidorm. Both cheer me up no matter what, and Gavin & Stacey has a bit of a special place in mine and DP's hearts, as it reminds us of how we got together grin

TheDoctorSandshoesAndGrandad Mon 22-Dec-14 19:18:35

Gray's Anatomy
Private Practice
Orange Is The New Black

Gilmore Girls is perfect comfort viewing. Am now mid-way through Parenthood after binge watching all of GG on Netflix blush

NotALondoner Mon 22-Dec-14 19:21:29

Jam and Jerusalem. Simply Perfect.

Velocirapture Mon 22-Dec-14 19:24:10

Weeds
Californication
Buffy

CaptainAnkles Mon 22-Dec-14 19:26:05

Buffy
30 Rock
Arrested Development
Pushing Daisies
Father Ted

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Dec-14 19:27:24

YY to Grey's (although can sometimes be a bit harrowing) and Private Practice.

ARandomFridayIn2012 Mon 22-Dec-14 19:28:06

Buffy and Angel
Ally McBeal
Desperate Housewives

I need a new box set, was considering Breaking Bad? Any thoughts?

BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 19:29:07

Community. That got me through the scary journey to visit DH for the first time, first time travelling abroad on my own and a hellish scary 8 hour journey!

I love Parenthood. I am dreading/can't wait for the finale which is coming out on 30 December I think? Looking forward to it but don't want it to be over sad (won't say any more for DoctorSand's sake! smile)

I think Modern Family will become a comfort series for me too.
Doctor Who is also good.

Velocirapture Mon 22-Dec-14 19:29:31

Drop the Dead Donkey as well

BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 19:30:04

And Friends of course. DH and I often watch Friends when we feel down smile

Clayhead Mon 22-Dec-14 19:31:09

Ugly Betty
Modern Family

DearGirl Mon 22-Dec-14 19:32:30

I love scandal, greys anatomy, bones, modern family

niceupthedance Mon 22-Dec-14 19:43:05

Cold Feet.

slippermaiden Mon 22-Dec-14 19:50:47

Cold feet and Gavin and Stacey. I have a very British sense of humour, really don't get American humour. I could live off these 2 for years though smile

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 22-Dec-14 20:14:53

I have bought myself S5 of Parenthood for Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now