Talk

Advanced search

The Fall Finale Dissection Continues

(12 Posts)
AppleYumYum Mon 22-Dec-14 12:00:47

Think we might have a bit more to say on it still, so a new thread!

Katie's parents weren't present as her Dad died in a motorcycle accident and she refused to have her mother present during questioning, so another adult was present. Assume mother would refute her version of events in her 'diary' and be horrified of course.

YonicSleighdriver Mon 22-Dec-14 13:49:25

Yy apple!

AppleYumYum Mon 22-Dec-14 13:55:24

Original thread here by the way:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/2221247-The-Fall-Series-2

alltoomuchrightnow Mon 22-Dec-14 14:41:19

yes her dad was beheaded in accident wasnt he?

rootypigsinblankets Mon 22-Dec-14 21:47:11

Hello, finally managed to watch! and read all your comments. SO much to say. Overall I enjoyed it. I found it a bit disjointed in terms of plotlines unfolding - I felt they were setting it up to be some drawn out mind game, and then PS just capitulated and confessed to Stella. I enjoyed their interview v much, just felt it didn't fit with what came before.

I still LOATHE the Benedetto girl character grin - and agree with pp that her storyline seemed ultimately to have no significance. I think her character was totally ill conceived and the performance was weak (why must she ALWAYS smile when she talks?!!). There's no way that the interview with Merlin wouldn't have scared the shit out of a 16 year old, unless they were a psychopath, and they leaned so heavily on her being infatuated or thinking it was some sort of game...the transition just was not convincing. Her blonde friend was also not horrified enough by the prospect of a serial killer hmm.

And would she have been out at home before her / Spector's trial??

What I enjoyed most was the explicit exploration / discussion of male violence - Gibson's conversation with Burns, and her response to Merlin in bed. I believe her when she says that she loathes Spector. I don't assume that her fascination with him has collapsed into something sexual - in the interview and her conversations afterwards she not only seems perfectly in control, but also unimpressed by his sexual aberrance, which she finds ordinary... I don't think she's guilty of the same. I think her horror at the end can be born of a non sexual obsession, her obsession with the job, the fight, her hatred of misogynists. What Spector said about letting men perish rang true and I liked that the writers didn't have her deny it, nor did they soften the portrayal of men, which was pretty unforgiving. My reading of the Olivia scene was just that Gibson found it abhorrent that he be afforded such a privilege (of lying to his daughter) when he's been running around strangling other people's children.

I enjoyed her dismissal of Sally Ann a great deal grin
But am uneasy, like other posters, with the overall portrayal of women.

I also liked DCI whatsit's smirk at her turning up with Merlin. In fact I liked him as a character overall. Nice to see so many men working for a woman with no apparent problem with it.

I didn't like McNally being dressed up that way, it felt voyeuristic (not sure if this is quite what I mean), not to mention painfully obvious, and beneath Stella, who would/should have had more respect for McNally.

Oof sorry. Just SO much to say! and noone in RL to discuss with.

rootypigsinblankets Mon 22-Dec-14 21:47:26

Woah essay blush

YonicSleighdriver Tue 23-Dec-14 00:05:35

I agree, rooty. The first time with Gail when he was tired and more off balance was more plausible.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Dec-14 19:04:29

Just watched last epidsode and then went back to thread and found was 1000!!!! sad and couldnt reply

Just found this one smile

Loved the first 60 mins but the last 30mins crap

Lots of Niggles

Is ps dead?

Why did they let katie go - even if under 18 would have an adult there for her

Why didn't more go to woods if searching for rose and an ambulance on standby

Plus once found rose again why wasnt ps bundled Into car? Instead he was allowed to see if dead or alive - tho his expression when found alive was shock and amusement

Ga went to help ps as he was bleeding heavily and knew policeman would be ok as had a jacket on

Also thought ps was going to try and kiss ga when she held him in her arms

The house the woman were in in when husband stormed in - how did he know where she was?

Police couldn't track him as he cut off his tag

And quite understandable that the woman froze as had all been beaten up by their partners

rootypigsinblankets Fri 26-Dec-14 19:34:49

The house the woman were in in when husband stormed in - how did he know where she was?

He'd had a call from one of his pals / henchmen, saying he'd spotted her on the seafront in Bangor, and watched to see which house she'd gone into.

I must say I found that storyline the weakest, too full of convenient happenings (like that one^^ and Jimmy's association with the journalist). It would have worked better if they'd cooked something up more closely connected with the main plot, like someone else who was onto Spector. For me, most of the sub plots (the corruption ring and Olson, the Benedetto girl, Jimmy and his wife) fizzled out unsatisfyingly.

YonicSleighdriver Fri 26-Dec-14 19:56:06

Katie was charged and had a court date in July AFAIK - her crime was insufficient to keep a juvenile in custody until then, I think.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Dec-14 22:07:55

Oh. Thanks. Must have been filling up my wine glass at those moments grin

rootypigsinblankets Fri 26-Dec-14 22:23:59

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now