Talk

Advanced search

SCD 2014 #5: It's the final!

(650 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 15-Dec-14 00:59:03

Following on from thread 4.

Last lap now everybody!

First time a couple have been against each other in the final I think. Fun dinnertimes this week in the Clifton-Hauer household I would imagine.

I'm vaguely hoping for a Caroline - Frankie/Simon - Mark result, although, other than Mark last I'm not too fussed really.

wowfudge Mon 15-Dec-14 06:14:03

I think it's a difficult one to call and should be an exciting final. There has been a lot of sniping about the judging decisions in the dance off, but if they don't judge on that particular performance, then what's the point of having a dance off? Len was right last night and he chose dancing over performance.

OnTheThursdayOfChristmas Mon 15-Dec-14 08:24:12

Good Moaning, just marking my place fsmile

SpanishFly Mon 15-Dec-14 08:24:48

Yep Mark danced better in the DO. And if you look at them now compared with where they started, Mark has improved a lot but Jake hasn't. And surely that's a major part of it.

R4roger Mon 15-Dec-14 08:25:31

morning.
agree it is annoying with Kevin so enthusiastic about going through. Love Simon, gorgeous looking
like caroline and pasha too.

digerd Mon 15-Dec-14 08:25:50

I don't think Mark will win but as it is more demanding on the men having to lead, I would like Simon to win with Caroline 2nd.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 15-Dec-14 08:26:06

I don't think improvement is part of the dance off - isn't it meant to be judged on that dance and only that dance?

I don't disagree with the result mind you.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 15-Dec-14 09:07:41

Thanks, Polka.

I want Caroline to win, followed by Simon.

BeHoHoHove Mon 15-Dec-14 10:13:09

Keeping my place for the final

Lottapianos Mon 15-Dec-14 10:16:29

I'm throwing my lot in with Caroline and Pasha. I absolutely love Kristina and would be so thrilled for her to win but I don't think Simon is good enough to win sadly. Frankie has done really well but is terribly wooden. Mark has been completely fab and is the most improved by far and I won't be surprised if he bags it, but I'm going for Caroline.

Definitely no clear winner now Pixie has gone

Theshedofalfredogarcia Mon 15-Dec-14 11:10:38

Team Simon here ,though I don't mind if Caroline wins cos I love Pasha smile

Can't believe it's nearly all over, back to rubbish Sat night tv.sad

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Mon 15-Dec-14 12:13:29

I've just rewatched Sophie and Brendan's rumba and I can't see why they go so slated and marked lower than either of the two this week.

Snowstorm Mon 15-Dec-14 14:24:50

I'm not sad that Jake went but you have to think that their show dance would have been good (if they hadn't used up all their trick lifts already).

Hope Caroline and Pasha get to do their 'ooops she slipped' dance again, as I thought that had the makings to be a corker.

Now got final week anxiety about their show-dances, where most of them seem to disregard their celeb's strengths and just choreograph something that's a bit odd and quite pants. Hoping to goodness that this year's lack of show-dance professional dancers performance will mean that nobody will attempt 'the dance that cannot be mentioned and must never be attempted by anyone again, ever' (ie. Lisa Snowdon's and ???? Brendon's was it?).

Pandora37 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:24:41

I HOWLED with laughter at Lisa Snowdon's showdance. I don't know what on earth Brendan was on when he choreographed that. The slowmo version someone from Digital Spy made with added commentary is very funny. I normally find the show dances very boring. I was surprised by Brendan's choice last year with Sophie as well to do a fun, party dance as she was much stronger in ballroom. The only ones I can really remember are Louis Smith's and Tom Chambers' (other than Lisa's, but that was for all the wrong reasons).

Re Frankie and dance experience, ballet is extremely technical so that would definitely help with learning technique for another dance. It would also help with general musicality but as a singer I'd expect her to have some anyway. I was told by my past teacher that in some ways ballet training can be a hindrance, especially for Latin, as the foot actions are so different. I was frequently told I looked too balletic, even though I hadn't danced ballet for years so I think it does stay ingrained in you. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who works in entertainment, especially a woman, who hasn't had some dance training, however small. And it won't necessarily mean they're any good - I remember everyone thinking Kelly Williams from Destiny's Child would be amazing but she was pretty hopeless. But putting someone in like Denise Van Outen who's danced in the West End is ridiculous and unfair.

Lottapianos Mon 15-Dec-14 16:34:34

Oh poor Lisa Snowdon... She was such a great dancer but let down so badly by that dance. Brendan had put in moves that the World Champion showdancers had performed on the show the week before - talk about setting the poor woman up to fail!

Denise Van Outen's showdance was easily the best showdance in the history of Strictly. But yes I agree that it was ridiculous that she was in the show at all. Louis' dance was beautiful and really played to his strengths

OnTheThursdayOfChristmas Mon 15-Dec-14 16:59:25

Who won the Lisa Snowden series? I definitely watched it, but I remember v little - certainly not that show dance.
I just watched the sarky slo mo version on YouTube and enjoyed it immensely fgrin

The only show dance a remember ever, is Tom Chambers.
Different in a good way

Pandora37 Mon 15-Dec-14 17:06:28

Lisa was another one who was an excellent ballroom dancer and you're right, that show dance did let her down. The whole dance was so weird - the rolling around on the floor, the swimming costume Lisa was wearing (and why was her bra on show?!), their pained expressions, the incredibly ungainly lifts. And my personal favourite is when Brendan is struggling to hoist Lisa up and is showing every ounce of strain on his face. Poor Lisa. I think he was far too overly ambitious which is a shame and he wasn't playing to Lisa's strengths at all, he just managed to make her look gangly and awkward.

Anyway, I hope someone does something original this weekend. I imagine Kristina will go for a gymnastics type dance full of lifts, which I personally hate. It would be nice to see someone doing something ballroom based for once.

Pandora37 Mon 15-Dec-14 17:12:52

OntheThursday it was Tom who won that series! Rachel Stevens came second. I couldn't remember who won it either, I was surprised to read that Tom and Lisa had been in the same season. I do remember watching Tom's show dance and knowing he'd got it in the bag. I had the same feeling with Louis. At the moment, I'm convinced Caroline will win but I think if Simon, or even Mark, manage to pull out an amazing show dance then they could sneak in at the last minute and win. I think that's more likely to happen for Simon than Mark though, I can't see Mark winning.

digerd Mon 15-Dec-14 17:20:53

Tom Chambers won with Camilla Dallerup and Rachel Stevens/Vincent Simone came 2nd in 2008.

Louis Smith and the lovely Flavia danced a contemporary ballet style in bare feet for their showdance which was expressive,lyrical and acrobatic.

OnTheThursdayOfChristmas Mon 15-Dec-14 17:22:18

Haha, thanks pandora!
I really was rooting for Tom of Rachel in that final - I remember staying up v late to wait for it to come on iplayer after I finished my waitressing job- obviously I was too tired to remember properly!

Saker Mon 15-Dec-14 18:29:52

I think Kristina did a very good show dance with Jason Donovan with hats and canes, really old style. I remember it scored 4 10s even though it was a bit rough around the edges. I love Kristina's choreography, I am sure she will put plenty of ballroom in, especially as that is Simon's strength.

The worst thing with the Lisa Snowdon show dance was that they had already been voted out, but were still doing the show dance anyway. So I think all their energy and enthusiasm was sapped anyhow plus it was such a bad idea in the first place....

I wasn't a big fan of Tom but I did love that showdance. And the year that Alesha won, I remember both show dances were really good, with Matt and Flavia and Alesha and Matthew.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 15-Dec-14 19:46:45

Daily Mail link (in case any of you are bothered), but poor Ola sad

CMP69 Mon 15-Dec-14 20:27:12

Saw that sorry about Ola earlier. Sounds like a terrible accident sad

ScienceRocks Mon 15-Dec-14 20:34:16

I hated lisa snowdon's show dance. She shouldn't have been allowed to do it anyway, as she had been voted out, and then she basically just writhed around on the floor wearing next to nothing confused

I didn't think she came across very well all series to be honest. A bit over-emotional and needy. I seem to recall that Brendan was at his most stroppy that season too.

Louis, Tom, Alesha and harry all did great show dances. I love the ones that are different but not just exhibitions of lifting and/or writhing.

I haven't really warmed to frankie this series (I think Kevin has really put me off, he has been so over the top with everything) so I'd like caroline, mark or simon to win. If pushed, I think I'd go for simon, because I love the way he suddenly got into it after a few weeks and realised he loved dancing and maybe kristina too

Tanaqui Mon 15-Dec-14 21:20:53

I loved frankies AT outfit and hair- good look on her. kfG needs to get down the gym if she is too heavy for him- she is tiny! With awesome abs! I can see she is heavier than some if the pros as she is quite muscular, but she must be lighter than Caroline- or pixie who are both tall.

Off to google show dances smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now