Talk

Advanced search

Big fat gypsy christmas last night. .

(36 Posts)
NecklessMumster Wed 10-Dec-14 19:29:30

Did anyone see this last night ? I was half watching but saw a bit when the newly married woman went back home to give Christmas presents, 2 little girls were watching and one said she'd had no presents and the other said she'd had an egg (?).I can't get the face of the first one out of my head, the hurt in her eyes when she said she'd had nothing
And every one else seemed to have lots, I didn't understand.

curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Dec-14 19:37:44

That was sad... They didn't really explain why.

Everyone else seemed to get an absolutely ridiculous amount of presents!

NecklessMumster Wed 10-Dec-14 19:45:00

I know, it seemed to be pointing out the consumerism but then those 2 little girls just watched the other one open presents, it was horrible

DifferentNow Wed 10-Dec-14 19:52:50

I saw it too. The expressions on their little faces and their eyes full of tears was awful. It's been eating away at me since last night actually.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Wed 10-Dec-14 20:21:43

I'm watching it now and I can't believe how rude and ignorant the bride is - 'do my hair now, I'm more important' and so scathing about the hairdresser who had a bereavement shock, I think if I was one of the hairdressers she went to afterwards I'd have told her exactly where to stick her hair piece wink.

NecklessMumster Wed 10-Dec-14 21:59:15

DifferentNow glad it wasn't just me who keeps seeing their faces, I hadn't been prepared for that, naive to think all kids have a happy time but it was really upsetting. Whole programme a bit odd and aimless

ScooseIsLoose Wed 10-Dec-14 22:03:12

This really upset me too her little face when she said she didn't get anything. And then the other little one who said they got an egg?! Then it showed the chickens. Felt so sorry for them and that bride one didn't even seem a bit bothered just brushed it off. My dd has autism and doesn't even know what Christmas is but will still have loads of new toys. So sad to think some kids don't get a single thing. sad

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Wed 10-Dec-14 22:06:10

I only got as far as "can you eat cats?" before switching it off. Glad I did now.

curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Dec-14 22:19:18

I felt sorry for the poor bloody pony at the end... confused

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 10-Dec-14 22:26:51

Haha the 'i wonder, can you eat cat...' was what made me keep watching tbh! grin

I dreamt about the gypsies last night, I don't remember exactly what the dream was about but I was angry with them in my dream.

I noticed, as did DH, where were all the men in that episode? confused. Quite often on Big Fat Gypsy whatevers you see the men going about their business, and having their fun etc. But there was barely a mention of them in this one. I wondered if they were all sleeping it off somewhere hmm while the women 'did Christmas'

I'd also like to have seen them preparing their food, or maybe a few snippets of film from their family dinners.

Firedemon Wed 10-Dec-14 22:31:17

The starved dog also upset me. And the tiny pony being ridden at the end. There was a moment when one of the gypsy girls was talking about how much gypsies love animals hmm

Toughasoldboots Wed 10-Dec-14 22:39:22

Yes, the animals was heartbreaking, I can't believe the big lump was riding that tiny thing.

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 10-Dec-14 22:39:55

Oh yes the small horse, that was unpleasant viewing. I missed a few bits trying to settle DD2.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 10-Dec-14 22:44:05

You misunderstood or misheard that question OP. The little girls had gifts from santa but her sister asked her what she got from her mummy. She said she got nothing from mummy. But she had stuff from santa.

Agree about the pony riding. Poor pony. Animal welfare isnt good within traveller communities.

Pandora452 Wed 10-Dec-14 22:47:57

They don't film the men cause they are worried it'll affect them getting work - they either don't appear or are blurred out

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 10-Dec-14 22:50:49

I was really hmm about the woman driving with those eyelashes that caused her to crash!! Stupid woman! She didnt even seem slightly concerned.

apotatoprintinapeartree Wed 10-Dec-14 22:52:53

The men are worried about being recognised not for reasons of not getting work I can assure you. and, the children receiving no presents doesn't surprise me.
Wtf did I click on this thread.
Sorry folks, as you were.

natureplantar101 Wed 10-Dec-14 22:58:28

You mean the hairdresser that had a pavement ?? shock didnt know whether to laugh or cry at that they think they are so much better than country folk as they call us but they themselves live a life of slavery with little education and little compassion or respect yet its ok because they have self respect and "morals" for themselveshmm its car crash tv i can't stop watching it

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 10-Dec-14 23:05:01

Plenty of settled folk with little education, compassion or respect for anyone or anything. It isnt exclusive to travellers.

I do pity them massively for their apparent ignorance on so many basic things and i know how patronising that is but i think basic education (like being able to read at 22 years old!) should be accessible to all and not restricted because they think they'll have no use for it. I hate how oppressed the women are or seem to be.

member Wed 10-Dec-14 23:05:51

The bride didn't brush off the hairdresser's bereavement, she didn'td' t know why the hairdresser wasn't there since she couldn't't read "bereavement" & mistook it for pavement confused. As for the stupidity of continuing to drive when she couldn't't see through the eyelash glueshock. Why be so pernickety about your lashes/hair/nails when your 're going to chew gum(with an open gob)through your wedding?

curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Dec-14 23:07:55

I always find it bizarre how they spend a fortune and stress so much about the weddings and when they actually get married there's hardly anyone there!!

member Wed 10-Dec-14 23:08:12

X post (and I appear to be as proficient at typing, as the bride was at reading blush )

NecklessMumster Wed 10-Dec-14 23:15:38

I don't want to sneer at travellers, I know they are discriminated against and I agree it's car crash telly that I probably wouldn't normally watch. I just found that little girl upsetting saying she'd had no presents. I hope the person who said she got presents from 'santa' was right but that wasn't the impression I got and I was hoping for an explanation but there probably isn't one.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Wed 10-Dec-14 23:19:52

I do love how un creative some of the names are. Babby girl and young 'un grin

DarylDixonsDarlin Wed 10-Dec-14 23:33:43

Oh the names were brilliant - yet there were the bride and her cousins, all with ordinary traditional sounding (possibly Irish origin?) names smile

DH is from Romany stock, so its a bit of a tongue in cheek private joke at home for us grin
DH also wants to know - why do they all seem to have the clear plastic covers on their caravan sofas? Is it because they are fanatical cleaners?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now