Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a box set please.

(88 Posts)
TimeWarp Wed 03-Dec-14 18:03:50

The DC are going away with their Dad for about 9 days over Christmas. Now obviously this would be an ideal time to devote myself to deep-cleaning and decluttering the house, so I need you to save me from that by recommending something fascinating to watch instead. grin

I like strong female leads, dry and cynical humour, maybe a bit of action and intrigue, quirky characters and a fanciable man or two. Series that I have enjoyed in the past are Buffy, Firefly, Castle, West Wing, Veronica Mars, Northern Exposure and NCIS.

TIA

BeattieBow Wed 03-Dec-14 18:05:58

Walking Dead!

Me and ds (aged 15) are working our way through these 2 episodes a night sometimes. Fab (but not if you don't like zombies really).

RandomMess Wed 03-Dec-14 18:07:33

Well for something light "Big Bang Theory" more in depth there is also "Breaking Bad", "Dexter"

will have a think...

"life on Mars" and "Ashes to Ashes"

TimeWarp Wed 03-Dec-14 18:08:50

I should have mentioned no zombies. I don't know why it is that I can watch vampires with impunity but zombies terrify me and give me awful nightmares, but I simply couldn't watch TWD. I did try, but I couldn't get through the first episode.

I'm wondering if True Blood might suit me? I read the first six or so books and quite liked them.

RandomMess Wed 03-Dec-14 18:08:58

DH says "Dollhouse"

lollygagger Wed 03-Dec-14 18:10:44

I loved Girls. Amazing writing and great characters.

TimeWarp Wed 03-Dec-14 18:11:00

I LOVE Big Bang Theory, and have seen all of them. I'll check out Dexter. Does Breaking Bad have much dark humour in it?

RandomMess Wed 03-Dec-14 18:11:00

or "Fringe"

d0ttyne11 Wed 03-Dec-14 18:11:07

Parks & Recreations? It's very funny!

RandomMess Wed 03-Dec-14 18:12:30

Yes IMHO

NickiFury Wed 03-Dec-14 18:13:29

Walking Dead
Scandal
House of Lies
The Sopranos

thatsn0tmyname Wed 03-Dec-14 18:14:30

Another vote for The Walking Dead. I wish I could erase my memory and watch them afresh again!

TimeWarp Wed 03-Dec-14 19:07:44

I couldn't take to Dollhouse, I did watch some of the first series when it first started but didn't get drawn in.

Please stop recommending The Walking Dead. I would love to watch it. It has Egg from This Life being macho (I could never have imagined that) and David Morrissey being evil (he gives me thrills when he's evil), it has big story arcs and excitement in every episode. BUT it scares me and there is no way I'm going to watch it when I'm alone. Even the trailers for the most recent episode gave me nightmares, proper wake-up-with-jolt type nightmares.

Otherwise, that's a great list of things to check out so far. Thanks.

QueenoftheVerse Wed 03-Dec-14 19:11:33

The Good Wife
scandal
Agents of Shield
Firefly (again, because it's that good wink)

QueenoftheVerse Wed 03-Dec-14 19:12:58

Oh and Damages is absolutely amazing!

TrinityForce Wed 03-Dec-14 19:14:11

Orange is the new black < strong female leads
Castle
House MD

Avonmore Wed 03-Dec-14 19:15:39

Queen of the verse great tastegrin I second The Good Wife and Damages for strong female leads.

sillymillyb Wed 03-Dec-14 19:19:01

I wanted to love the walking dead too but just couldn't do it. Scared me too much!

Please please please watch:

The good wife
Orange is the new black
Breaking bad
Fringe

Possibly not in that order though. I'm very jealous of 9 days tv watching by way! Enjoy smile

QueenoftheVerse Wed 03-Dec-14 19:20:31

Avonmore smile. They're two of my most favourite programmes in the last 10 years I think.

Avonmore Wed 03-Dec-14 19:21:53

Yep. Although I am also loving The Walking Dead right now but say nothingwink

mootime Wed 03-Dec-14 19:23:42

The good wife, Nashville, brothers and sisters, parenthood.

TimeWarp Wed 03-Dec-14 19:34:20

The Good Wife might be worth a go, the few times I've caught a glimpse of it there were a lot of not conventionally attractive yet very sexy men in it. I'm fairly face blind so if a program has a lot of very attractive people with regular, symmetrical features and similar hair I have trouble telling them apart, which can lead to a fair bit of plot confusion.

Some series that I have been considering are 30 Rock, Rizzoli and Isles, Sports Night and True Blood. Any thoughts on those?

Cooroo Wed 03-Dec-14 19:37:06

Definitely Orange is the New black for strong women. Homeland?

lollygagger Wed 03-Dec-14 19:37:23

Yes to True Blood! Loved it because it's so out there and OTT. And Alexander skarsgaard.... He's the best thing about it.

slithytove Wed 03-Dec-14 19:39:53

Charmed, breaking bad, orange is the new black.

All available on netflix

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now