Talk

Advanced search

Life is Toff...anyone watching?

(24 Posts)
salsmum Wed 19-Nov-14 00:37:32

About a Dad and his 4 grown up kids living in their stately home.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Nov-14 09:02:26

Marking place as I've recorded itsmile

Bluegill Wed 19-Nov-14 09:06:10

Yes I've been watching it. I'll be watching this thread because I'm curious to see what people think. I find it intriguing and slightly removed from reality. I know it will be edited to show 'the best bits' but there are clear eccentricities that make for dufficult viewing.

Only1scoop Wed 19-Nov-14 09:07:29

Yeah the cheese making made me vom slightly.confused

noddyholder Wed 19-Nov-14 09:13:14

I really like it.

tywysogesgymraeg Wed 19-Nov-14 09:17:08

Love the show. There is a mother as well, but she didn't want to be in the show. There was a show about the same family some years ago called "The F***cking Fulfords" (BBC asterisks, not mine), made when the kids were smaller. The mother was in that one, but has chosen not to be in this one.

What a great family though, although I do feel a bit sorry for Edmund (? the youngest one).

Bluegill Wed 19-Nov-14 09:21:16

Tyw, how interesting, I was just wondering about the mother. I feel sorry for all of them. What a burden it must be to maintain that huge estate. It must be hard for the eldest to take it all on. I think the dad looks like he's carried a lot of stress trying to manage everything. I feel sorry for Edmund too. He's such a sweetie.

tywysogesgymraeg Wed 19-Nov-14 10:03:45

If you google them, you'll see lots of photos of her with the family.

They look like they are slowly going broke, but fortunately the oldest son looks like he has his head screwed on and realises he has to maintain the estate. I read that they are doing the programme (and the earlier one) to make some much needed money.

The younger boys and the sister all seem fairly philosophical about their lack of inheritance and having to make their own way in the world, but they seem to be a very close family, who have a lot of fun with their own company.

I loved the episode where the younger boy took on some "difficult" teenagers - I thought the experience he gave them was just what they needed, as was the direct way the father spoke to them.

Bluegill Wed 19-Nov-14 12:19:27

Yes, I felt that there was a level of respect from the teenagers by the end of the day. The kids probably left with a different and refreshing opinion of 'toffs' as result of the experience.

EachandEveryone Wed 19-Nov-14 13:15:35

It's heavily edited! I don't believe anything I watch these days.

I like them but I'm not about to feel sorry for them.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Nov-14 15:36:08

I didn't realise it was about the Fulfords,I didn't like the first one and gave up on this one after about 5 mins-unusual as I love this sort of thing normally!

SuperGlue Wed 19-Nov-14 16:07:21

I am addicted to this show! I love them. I think they have a great family dynamic and although it is heavily edited they do genuinely seem to have a lot of fun.

I am glad to read that there is a mother too, I was actually going to google them to see what happened to her.

It is such a grim, unattractive looking house though isn't it? I felt sorry for them in last nights episode then the houses in the village came up and how the grandfather sold then for £15,000 in the 1950's and they are now valued at £10million.

I would say looking at the family it is a HUGE responsibility trying to keep that house going and they don't seem to have a bean and the house is literally falling down around their ears.

I hope Arthur has a good business head on him as he is going to need it or he could be the last one to live there.

I too feel a bit sorry for the younger ones who will have to leave and make a life elsewhere for themselves, they seem very ill equiped for that, particularly Edmund.

It's a fascinating peek into another world for me, but not one I am envious of at all.

EachandEveryone Wed 19-Nov-14 16:59:27

The children all went to top public schools and unis so they must've lived away for along time. Edmond isn't done with his education yet and I'm sure he will beable to do some training related to working with young people. Matilda does what loads of posh girls do, Art and has her own work shop. Literally I can't feel sorry for them. Why aren't they having weddings there?

chockbic Wed 19-Nov-14 17:01:06

They would need to do some renovation work before they attracted wedding parties, I'd have thought.

Could be a really nice house though. With beautiful grounds.

Sizzlesthedog Wed 19-Nov-14 18:09:09

According to their website they do weddings. Have a look at it. If you google Great Fulford, it wil come up, sorry can't do links.

It's a slick website, but if you look closely in the photos you see the mucky skirting boards etc which made me smile. They also have a section on the renovation projects. I didn't like the first F*****g Fulford series, but I'm really warming to them now. The estate is a big millstone and they don't appear to have any dosh.

Ye, it's heavily edited, but they do show a close family and the father is really rather sweet with them.

flymetotheprune Wed 19-Nov-14 18:15:29

I love this show - also watched the first Fucking Fulfords but can't remember a lot about it. Good to know their mum is still on the scene , I was assuming divorced/dead. I so want to live there. They seem to have loads of fun grin

CheeseBored Wed 19-Nov-14 21:23:47

This series is cracking me up! It's like something out of an Evelyn Waugh novel. They are sooo eccentric, and I have a weakness for posh scruffy eccentrics grin

MasqueradeWaltzer Fri 21-Nov-14 23:03:05

I'm really enjoying this too - much as some of the attitudes expressed make me shock I can't help thinking a night on the lash with Francis and the kids would be exceptionally good fun.

Edmund is my favourite - utterly adorable (but does rather epitomise the nice-but-dim trope grin).

Blueteas Fri 21-Nov-14 23:11:23

The father is unspeakably ghastly, and had a gruesome, reactionary blog fulminating about foreigners, PCness and health and safety. The children seem nice enough, but he's dreadful.

MogTheForgetfulCat Sat 22-Nov-14 17:00:38

Ooh, glad to have found a thread in this - have been enjoying it. They do seem to have a lot of fun and I love watching the sibling dynamics. Slightly worried that my DC are going to have the same dynamic as the Fulfords shock. Which doesn't bode well for the youngest as he will be Edmund grin. Although Edmund is my favourite so maybe that will be OK.

manicinsomniac Sat 29-Nov-14 20:44:49

Francis Fulford is a member of UKIP according to Wikipedia

Mrsjayy Mon 01-Dec-14 09:22:29

He wanted to have drop in hookers as a thing ffor shooting parties lovely hmm he is a horrible man yes a friend of Nige but he is an English Eccentric so its all lfabby he is a waste of space his kids seem ok I suppose

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Mon 01-Dec-14 10:02:52

I think the dad is scum tbh. Incredibly rude to the producers, flicking dog shit at camera operators, refusing to answer courteous questions. Awful bully, though oddly was good with the reluctant teenagers, and the children and he seem to have a good relationship. But I don't like him at all.

Love Edmund. Other kids arrogant but bearable.

NoisyOyster Thu 18-Dec-14 09:12:48

If you do some research on the family, the children all have trust funds of £50,000 each, per annum, for the rest of their lives. So they're not too concerned about having to find their own ways in the world.

Think the father is a brutish boor. The children all seem polite but horribly self indulged and couldn't-care-less

Agree it is heavily edited, the scene where Matilda "called an ambulance after having a cold" turned out to have been 48 hours of severe food poisoning and the parents called a gp who in turn called the ambulance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now