Talk

Advanced search

It was alright back in the 70s.. Err no, not really.

(8 Posts)
stillenacht1 Sun 16-Nov-14 10:38:00

Just watched this on 4OD. It has really made me think about my own childhood (b1973)... All that dolly bird stuff def had an impact on me as a teen as did not have the 'confidence' to be like that but thought you had to be to get boyfriend etc. It has made me think about quite a few things about being raised as a girl in the 70s and 80s...

specialsubject Sun 16-Nov-14 11:15:24

I don't think much has changed. I was watching it live (unusually) so saw the ads - and we have women draped over cars, women advertising perfume etc etc. Don't know if the ads were selected for irony though?

all the beauty contestants were volunteers. Too many girls still want to starve and pout as models, shriek talentlessly in reality shows and worse.

the endless smoking was amazing though, at least we now think it is dirty.

Clawdy Sun 16-Nov-14 12:15:39

The references to schoolgirls in the sitcoms were pretty awful, and as for that creepy grandad in The Wackers....shock And does anyone remember the bit in Butterflies where Wendy Craig is ranting about the tedium of her life,and finishes by saying "I want to be raped!" I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned.

Clawdy Sun 16-Nov-14 12:32:18

Just seen that it was mentioned,sorry! must have missed that bit.

susiedaisy Sun 16-Nov-14 13:35:23

I watched it and found the benny hill stuff shockshock

bigTillyMint Sun 16-Nov-14 13:41:56

I was born in 64 and actually remember watching all that stuff. That programme last night made me realise just how shocking it was though.

I thought Benny Hill and Dick Emery were horrible as a child - dirty old men.
I also thought Ria in Butterflies was a wet blanket - why didn't she just do something with her life and why was she such a crap cook?

AnyoneForTardis Sun 16-Nov-14 17:44:31

special. exactly.

todays ads are just as sexually explicit.

Davros Sun 16-Nov-14 20:01:46

Best thing, apart from the clothes and music obviously, was the power cuts we had a great laugh (born 1960)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now