Talk

Advanced search

Broadmoor

(29 Posts)
FishesTit Thu 06-Nov-14 14:27:43

Can't find a thread already started. Did anyone watch this? Didn't like it at all, all seemed a bit chaotic the way the staff dealt with the patients.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 15:51:51

What channel was it on?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 15:53:04

What channel was it on?

FishesTit Thu 06-Nov-14 16:01:37

ITV on Monday I think it was

LarrytheCucumber Thu 06-Nov-14 16:02:41

It didn't seem chaotic to me. They seemed to have a lot of established procedures, and it all seemed remarkably calm.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Nov-14 16:10:08

I thought it was very good, and they seemed to deal very calmly with some very difficult patients to keep the patients and staff safe

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 16:15:32

I'll watch it on catch up and report back latergrin

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Thu 06-Nov-14 16:20:09

ITV last night (Wed 5th Nov), 9pm. Part 2 next Wed 12th Nov 9pm.

I couldn't do that job for love nor money. I take my hat off to the staff.

cupofsneeze Thu 06-Nov-14 16:21:44

Very sad how many of the patients had been sexually abused at such a young age whilst in the care system.

Sidge Thu 06-Nov-14 16:49:36

I watched it, I found it very interesting.

I didn't find it chaotic, I think the staff were very patient and calm. I found the interview segments with the staff - nurses and psychiatrists - very enlightening.

I think the staff must be emotionally exhausted when they finish a shift, being on such high alert all the time.

ProfYaffle Thu 06-Nov-14 16:51:50

I thought it was surprisingly calm too. I was astonished at the levels of staffing needed, when one chap wanted a drink and it took about 6 people just to push it through the door.

MrsBungle Thu 06-Nov-14 16:58:18

I watched it and found it very interesting. It didn't seem chaotic to me and I thought the staff seemed to do a very difficult and exhausting job.
I, too, felt so sad about the number of patients who'd suffered abuse as children. The director of broad moor said that a great number of patients have suffered abuse, neglect and drug problems.
I can't remember who said on the programme but someone said they could have looked at some of the patients at 5/6 years old and predicted they would end up there due to how their lives were.

DiaDuit Thu 06-Nov-14 17:03:46

I saw this and felt very sad for those men by the end. Especially those that are basically confined to their room for most of the time. I understand the need for it but it must be incredibly depressing to live like that.

I agree it didnt seem chaotic at all. I thought it was a really good programme.

Felt very sorry for the man who thinks he is involved in a court case against broadmoor staff.

DiaDuit Thu 06-Nov-14 17:05:40

someone said they could have looked at some of the patients at 5/6 years old and predicted they would end up there due to how their lives were

Yes this was the guy i was talking about's (was he called lenny?) primary nurse. Very sad.

WandaFuca Thu 06-Nov-14 20:17:03

I didn't find it chaotic at all. But I've watched so many "proper" documentaries over the years, that I'm probably tuned in to how difficult it is to film sensitively yet have enough footage to make a TV programme.

I found it very moving. There are clearly a lot of damaged men in Broadmoor. Yes, they've been violent, to others as well as to themselves, but it seems that for many of them, it was the damage done to them as children that propelled them into their adult behaviour. It can take years, or a lifetime, to recover from that, especially when it's abuse perpetrated by people who should have been caring for them.

I was very impressed by the staff. And also by the look of the wards, given that it's a very old building (I think they're building a new one on the grounds to replace it?).

I think it was very good to show that Broadmoor isn't just for "Britain's Most Evil", but that it's a therapeutic environment where some make enough progress to be able to leave.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Nov-14 14:03:07

I agree Wanda,I thought it was well done.

OP, what exactly did you find chaotic? The whole place is run with certain procedures in place, certainly no time to be chaotic as that would be very dangerous. I thought the staff were amazing and very calm.

I spent quite a lot of time in a mother and baby unit with ds, our laundry must have been sent to the same place as Broadmoor as we often got towels with Broadmoor printed on them mixed in with our clean washing. I have a picture of me holding one up. It made me laugh in a very dark period of my life. Dh used to call the unit Broadmoor with Babies. Arfgrin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Nov-14 14:05:01

It must be very difficult for staff bit to be able to talk about what they've dealt with in the day to friends/family. Very hard to leave your work day at the door.

DiaDuit Fri 07-Nov-14 15:14:45

I would hope the staff have paid access to a counsellor to help deal with what they experience in work.

DiaDuit Fri 07-Nov-14 15:15:16

Paid by NHS not the staff themselves i mean

DiaDuit Fri 07-Nov-14 15:15:58

Im not explaining well.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Nov-14 15:27:22

I imagine they do but that doesn't take away from fact it must be really hard not to discuss what's gone on during their day. It's really hard to keep everything like that inside.

DiaDuit Fri 07-Nov-14 15:29:36

Oh yes of course. Wasnt disagreeing with you.

whattodoforthebest2 Fri 07-Nov-14 15:30:18

I too found the programme very interesting and very sad - particularly where one patient had to be restrained in order to be given an injection. He was calm and amenable to the staff and the reporter and then became so distressed at having to be restrained - I could almost imagine being in his shoes and found that part quite difficult to watch. So many of these men appear to have been victims themselves and even now, we hear of hundreds more victims of abuse that have only just been acknowledged - what future do they face?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Nov-14 16:08:22

Dia-it's ok,I know you weren't,I was just musing out loudgrin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Nov-14 16:11:54

What-he wasn't calm though, he was extremely manic and refused to take medication as he thought he was involved in a court case against the hospital. He was like a tightly coiled spring, the poor man, he wouldn't have stayed calm for very long so needed to be medicated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now