Talk

Advanced search

So -- DCs too young for Buffy or Firefly, what can they watch that's vaguely in the same vein?

(12 Posts)
BuckskinnedAstronaut Tue 28-Oct-14 22:54:30

Just to inculcate good telly-watching habits early, you understand...

I feel there myst be something obvious that I'm missing.

BuckskinnedAstronaut Wed 29-Oct-14 20:10:33

Plaintive bump...

How old are they? TBH, I think most things in those genres are pretty much the same ratings (anything between 12 and 15)

Doctor Who maybe? Merlin? Are you looking at DVDs or stuff you can catch via On Demand or Nerflix?

I should say, mine were bought up on Buffy but that was the 6pm showings which I think were slightly cut for the time slot.

MollyBdenum Wed 29-Oct-14 20:28:11

It's a lot more old-fashioned, but the Mrs Peel seasons of The Avengers. And Dr Who. And my kids are utterly hooked on House of Anubis on CITV which is pretty good for kids TV and is the sort of programme where you half expect Rupert Giles to show up.

Also, to really appreciate Buffy and Firefly, you need to know the conventions of high school, cowboy and space opera shows/films (and gumshoe detective stuff for Angel).

Oh yes there's lots of good stuff on CBBC (Wolfblood) and CITV and even Disney (My Babysitter's a Vampire for one and the DC have also come up with Spooksville)

BuckskinnedAstronaut Wed 29-Oct-14 21:02:04

About to turn ten, so I really REALLY want to show Buffy but I know it should really wait another couple of years.

The obvious suspects - Doctor Who and Wolfblood and Young Dracula - we already do. Missed Merlin, caught the first series of Atlantis (which I thought was dull but rest of family liked) but apparently second series is going to be more adult and probably still pants .

Hadn't thought of The Avengers (old stuff not necessarily a problem, polished off the 80s Hulk series a couple of years back). House of Anubis has completely passed me by so I'll look into that.

Thank you - useful lines of thought here.

RufusTheReindeer Thu 30-Oct-14 14:12:49

Old american show Eerie Indiana

You can get it on DVD

It's a 90's show about a boy who moves to Eerie with his family

Episodes include a lonely cash dispenser who wants to be friends with one child, and a housewife who has kept herself and twin boys in Tupperware since the 50's

Nothing gruesome, most of the episodes are stand alone

BuckskinnedAstronaut Thu 30-Oct-14 14:14:04

Oh, I've heard of that but never watched it -- will have a look. Thanks!

RufusTheReindeer Thu 30-Oct-14 14:17:25

The one where the 'hero' has a brace fitted and can hear dogs talking is pretty funny

Apparently dogs don't really like us!!!!! But that might just be in Eerie!!

SpuffySummers Thu 30-Oct-14 14:18:15

My DDs are 6 and 3... I cannot wait to welcome them to Mummys world of cowboy sci fi and teenage slayers.

DSS is 12 and has just started watching Vampire Diaries (with his Mum) so we're starting Buffy with him soon cos its far superior to that trash

Davros Thu 30-Oct-14 18:20:10

We loved Primeval, especially at the beginning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now