Talk

Advanced search

oh its sad about Rik Mayall isnt it

(12 Posts)
Nerf Tue 21-Oct-14 20:31:25

Just watching some
Old show channel with Lord Flashheart, what a sad loss.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Tue 21-Oct-14 23:46:53

Yes, devastating.

I must have Bottom/The Young Ones quotes popping into my head 5+ times a day.

His daughter put a cartoon of Drop Dead Fred on FB. It was when Fred is saying to Lizzie, "You don't need me. You've got you now."

Gut wrenching.

Whiskwarrior Tue 21-Oct-14 23:52:39

Yes, I still miss him too. It's weird, isn't it, how much impact someone can have on your life? I grew up with Rik, early memories include Kevin Turvey and The Young Ones.

Still love Bottom, Comic Strip, New Statesman, Blackadder (what a scene-stealer!) and my favourite ever Jackanory - when he 'read' (went crazy with) George's Marvelous Medicine.

He's very missed by my family - we quite often refer to each other as 'spiteful little bastards' in homage to (P)Rik (the wonker - teacher agrees).

ShelaghTurner Tue 21-Oct-14 23:57:20

Oh don't. I forget and it's fine but then I see something and remember that he's gone and it hits me like a truck. There were rumours a couple of years back that he and Ade were going to do another Bottom Live and to the day of his death my brother and I were waiting with fevered excitement for more news just in case it was true.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Tue 21-Oct-14 23:58:13

Yes, Rik and Ade were my childhood.

Laughing at them got me through some difficult years. Had undiagnosed ASD and it was nice seeing other 'outcasts' living their lives.

We need more. He was a national treasure.

BorisIsABitOfAGargoyle Wed 22-Oct-14 00:01:46

Quite agree, I was a big fan of his. I saw him in a play years ago, a straight role and he was brilliant. Then at the end, as he walked off after the bows and applause, he did a big comedy trip and turned to face the audience with a huge grin on his face, it was priceless. I loved him for that.

Nerf Wed 22-Oct-14 06:59:42

Glad I'm not alone. Comedy trip sounds funny.
Definitely a scene stealer - you almost wait for his character to arrive.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Oct-14 07:54:56

Yeah, it still takes me by surprise when I see repeats of his shows and remember he's not around any more

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 22-Oct-14 07:55:23

sad [

MorelliOrRanger Thu 30-Oct-14 22:10:04

Even now I can't believe it. So sad and sudden. ��

RaRaSkirtsForever Sun 02-Nov-14 15:12:39

Back in the 80s, I was off sick from work after having my wisdom teeth out and there was a repeat of his Jackanory episodes. After he died I watched them again, I have to admit I cried...

Sparklingbrook Sun 02-Nov-14 15:30:47

It really is. I cried when I hear the news and again when I saw Ade Edmondson carrying his coffin at the funeral, just heartbreaking, and so unfair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: