Talk

Advanced search

anyone see turks and caicos

(24 Posts)
slartybartfast Fri 21-Mar-14 20:51:10

lots of well known actors

slartybartfast Fri 21-Mar-14 20:52:41

but i couldnt really get my head around bill nighy and thingummy double barrelled name.

MorelloKiss Sun 23-Mar-14 20:10:09

Just watched it on iPlayer...thought it was rather...awkward?!

SaveTheMockingBird Mon 24-Mar-14 09:28:22

I was really looking forward to watching it as it sounded just the kind of thing me and DH likes, but 20 mins in both me and DH had enough and turned it off. Yes it felt awkward and badly written.Quite a surprise considering the stellar cast.

slartybartfast Mon 24-Mar-14 09:52:37

i only stayed watching because i had to go out and pick up DS,
shame.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 24-Mar-14 11:41:47

I've got it recorded, will report back once I've watched it.

slartybartfast Mon 24-Mar-14 21:00:45

as much as i like bill nighy, he just didnt appeal in this. he was OTT. after seeing him in Love Actually, which he was perfect in

somersethouse Tue 25-Mar-14 10:46:26

I really liked it.

It helps though, that I watched 'Page Eight' the first part of the trilogy, the day before. It all makes much more sense then.

Third and final part on Thursday.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Mar-14 10:50:17

Oh is it a follow on from page 8? Excellent,I loved that! Planning to watch it today.

Catsmamma Tue 25-Mar-14 10:54:43

we watched it...thought it was very BBC/Tinker Tailor in the sunshine :D

Hadn't seen PageEight though

Will definitely watch the other two (is it?) Wondering where it'll go though since they seemed to deal with everything in this one episode...unless I missed the point?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 25-Mar-14 18:52:12

I gave up, it was crap. I hated Tinker Taylor too. Big yawn fest.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 25-Mar-14 21:11:42

I was really disappointed too.

Davros Tue 25-Mar-14 21:16:53

I felt a bit of a failure for not being WOWED by it, thought I must be missing something. I enjoyed the cast, the setting, the style. Did wonder if there was some spare "island time" left over from Death in Paradise to be used up!

hollyisalovelyname Thu 27-Mar-14 18:32:52

I gave up and deleted it. Wasted about 45 minutes wayching it. Couldn't make head nor tail of it. What was it all about?
TBH i only watched so I could look at Turks and Caicos as a holiday destination.

minniebar Thu 27-Mar-14 18:35:26

I know it's by a playwright, but it was too measured and mannered. Plus I was too distracted going 'Ooh look, it's him from Hostages. And ooh, they're both from The Good Wife. And fuck me, Winona Ryder is really a terrible actress'.

PartialFancy Thu 27-Mar-14 18:35:45

Not nearly as good as Page Eight. But then that's a pretty high bar.

PartialFancy Thu 27-Mar-14 18:36:47

Oh dear, yes indeed about Winona Ryder.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 27-Mar-14 23:22:40

Yes... But what was it all about?

hollyisalovelyname Sat 29-Mar-14 09:43:09

Please

PartialFancy Sat 29-Mar-14 10:05:17

Um, you've got me there.

How about...

Jonny is on the run somewhere pleasant and sunny after his refusal to cover up torture in Page Eight. Helped by Smiley's people his old colleagues, he continues to do good, exposing the corruption of billion-dollar companies, careers and "charitable foundations" built on the supposed War on Terror.

slartybartfast Sat 29-Mar-14 10:15:15

i am trying to remember,
was it money laundering?

famous american actor promised he would get bill nighy off if he helped him do in the baddies, which he did, but he went back on his promise so bill nighy and helena BC had to disappear with the help of the policeman brother of lady - whose child bill N made friends with, by feeding him lobster.
and they let the thin american wyona rider off somehow, because she had faced years of abuse via her father and his cronies.

PartialFancy Sat 29-Mar-14 10:17:50

I'm watching this again now! (Thank you, Freeview recorder.)

PartialFancy Sat 29-Mar-14 15:26:46

Soo...

Americans and British businessman have been profiteering from the War on Terror. They do deals like buying hotel on Turks & Caicos to launder proceeds. They also put money into a charitable foundation for the UK Prime Minister (chum of British businessman) so he can become jetsetting statesman when he gets voted out.

CIA man wants to get them for profiteering. Bill Nighy gives him the info linking PM and profiteers (from HBC). For some reason, profiteers roll over and pay $2m to CIA man because of this. And for some reason, that's all CIA man wants. Also, Americans have all been abusing Wynona.

Thin plot.

Really just a framework to hang lots of observations about the state of things in intelligence and the politics of the War on Terror.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 30-Mar-14 02:14:40

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now