Talk

Advanced search

Breaking Bad, a query and an observation

(19 Posts)
BumPotato Thu 20-Mar-14 16:52:38

I'm halfway through the last series.

The purple, what's with all the purple? Hank and Marie's house is full of purple. Marie wears lots of it. Anyone visiting will have shades of it on. Why? Is it an in joke? Does it symbolise anything?

Baby Holly. Has anyone else noticed that each time she appears she is a completely different baby? Even within the same episode. I know that TV shows will often use twins or a couple of babies but the amount of babies used to portray Holly is huge. I think this must be an in joke.

rookiemater Thu 20-Mar-14 16:53:45

Oh I didn't even notice the purple thing or the baby thing blush. I await the answers with interest.

aliciagardner Thu 20-Mar-14 16:56:07

Never noticed either!

Pregnantberry Thu 20-Mar-14 16:57:21

I did notice that baby Holly's actor changed a lot! I seem to remember that she looked way older than she should have done when she was supposed to be in the first few months as well.

I did notice Hank and Marie's house being very purple, I just thought this was to do with how daft they were. grin I didn't notice much purple otherwise but it would make sense if Marie wore a lot of it! Maybe the writers had met my MIL, she has a purple house and wears nothing but purple as well. wink

JennyPiccolo Thu 20-Mar-14 16:57:34

All the characters have different colours- I noticed this about 6 episodes in. No idea what they're supposed to represent. Walt almost always wears green, skyler blue, Marie is purple and Jesse is yellow etc.

UriGeller Thu 20-Mar-14 16:59:15

Dunno, does purple signify the crazy in Marie itching to get out? Their home-life is super suburban and conventional but she shoplifted too, why? She's after a thrill?

Baby Holly, like most babies in TV land are actually twins. I've noticed she wears a hat a lot indoors. Maybe one twin has hair and the other is a little baldy baby? She seems to get bigger and smaller to spite any continuity they might want to have on the show!

Pregnantberry Thu 20-Mar-14 16:59:41

Interesting Jenny!

BumPotato Thu 20-Mar-14 17:00:19

Ah can't remember which series, but Marie's gorgeous yellow handbag was destroyed in a scuffle with an estate agent. It appeared, intact, a couple of episodes later.

JethroTull Thu 20-Mar-14 17:00:49

Have a look at this ... breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Color

BumPotato Thu 20-Mar-14 17:01:33

uri. Holly isn't just twins. She's about 5 different children each episode she's in!

ihaveadirtydog Thu 20-Mar-14 17:01:34

They all have their own colour.
It's the meth that's represented by yellow. So Walt wears yellow when he's doing something significant to do with the meth.
The other colours relate to yellow on the colour wheel so Marie is purple because she is 'furthest away' from the meth.
Hank's is red.

BumPotato Thu 20-Mar-14 17:08:07

Thanks for that link jethro that explains the colours to me.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 20-Mar-14 17:22:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihaveadirtydog Thu 20-Mar-14 17:30:41

It gets really noticeable in series 5

Sandancer Thu 20-Mar-14 21:39:01

I noticed Hank wears orange a lot and Jesse usually wears something red. Remember the beige party? Don't know if there is any significance?

waceystills Sat 22-Mar-14 11:13:26

Also a lot of the names contain colours too.

BumPotato Sat 22-Mar-14 12:35:50

That link mentions only 3 Holly baby actresses. I'll concede that babies do change a lot week to week.

Bue Sat 22-Mar-14 19:30:51

I'm amazed that there are only three Hollys. "Spot the Holly" was a game while DH and I were watching BB. I swear by the end there must have been about 10 of her!

JennyPiccolo Sun 23-Mar-14 08:57:20

Apparently they used dolls a lot as well, especially during shouty scenes so the real babies would get distressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now