Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone seen Doll and Em?

(28 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Sun 16-Mar-14 22:00:37

I so wanted to like it but I'm not feeling it at all.

Davros Sun 16-Mar-14 23:12:33

Oh dear. I have recorded it but not had time to watch yet. I really liked the look of it

Lighthousekeeping Sun 16-Mar-14 23:13:24

Let me know what you think.

EatShitDerek Sun 16-Mar-14 23:19:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 16-Mar-14 23:20:45

was curious so checked it out on you tube - rubbish i'm afraid not funny

I love Emily m too

iklboo Sun 16-Mar-14 23:26:04

I tried, but it just seems to....miss. It's like they picked the funniest bits for the trailers.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 16-Mar-14 23:33:11

It's very self indulgent

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 00:09:00

I love it ! Watched them all so far back to back. Really made me chortle.

householdchorewhore Mon 17-Mar-14 00:15:25

Yes I've been a bit disappointed too, which is a shame because it would be fab to have some women centred comedy!

Davros Mon 17-Mar-14 07:28:34

I think I missed a couple, came in on the Susan Sarandon one. I smiled a few times but no real laughs. I quite liked it, it's interesting, so I will continue to watch. I did NOT recognise John Cusack!

OnceUponAThyme Mon 17-Mar-14 08:16:53

I didnt enjoy the first one so I've not bothered with the rest.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 12:28:30

It's not meant to be laugh out loud comedy though, it's quiet, gentle and wry. I think it's really well done and stoned Susan Sarandon was geniusgrin

limitedperiodonly Mon 17-Mar-14 13:28:23

I feel the same as you OP.

Lighthousekeeping Mon 17-Mar-14 13:43:26

Susan Sarandon always seems stoned anyway!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 14:01:27

It's worth watching for John Cussakwink

limitedperiodonly Mon 17-Mar-14 14:05:06

I've met Susan Sarandon. I thought she'd be really nice. How wrong I was. She's very grand.

I found her behaviour in that episode quite believable. Still not funny though. It's weird because if she's happy to send herself up, surely she'd be nicer?

Perhaps she didn't realise that she was being sent up and thought it was a straight documentary.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 17-Mar-14 14:22:03

The irony was probably lost on herwink they were all probably pissing themselves laughing on set that she was playing herself.

Lighthousekeeping Mon 17-Mar-14 14:35:48

Aw, I'm sad to hear that. I hope Goldies nor a caw as well.

limitedperiodonly Mon 17-Mar-14 18:48:38

Goldie is even viler. I met them together promoting a film called The Banger Sisters, which is about two middle-aged women who used to be 70s groupies and bump into each other with allegedly hilarious results now one has reinvented herself as a society wife (Susan) and the other (Goldie) is still a trailer trash trollop.

Except that I suspect that if you were a trailer trash trollop and drug addict in her 50s you wouldn't have such dazzling teeth. Or many teeth at all.

But I'm being picky. grin Quite a lot of teeth in that emoticon btw.

It's reasonably diverting way to spend two hours watching one average actress and one very good one paying off their respective tax bills. But only if there's nothing better on.

Funnily enough, that review didn't make it on to the front of the DVD.

That's why I don't like those oh-so-amusing cameo pieces. I've watched so many of them and I don't think the actors get it. I think their agents say it would be a good thing for them to be in and they're deluded and thick.

Seriously thick and unbelievably ego-massaged.

Doll and Em is a HBO production, I think. It's a prestigious network and Emily Mortimer is in the execrable but watchable The Newsroom from Aaron Sorkin, so I suspect there are a lot of favours and ego-massaging being done.

Also Sarandon and John Cusack, who is apparently a bit of an arsehole too, are so tediously right-on. And I say that as an utter Lefty. I hated her. I'm pretty sure I'd hate him too.

The only one that works for me is Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is also on HBO.

Long post. Sorry for the rant.

Does it make me seem mad?

It's just that I find Telly Addicts good for this because I love telly and just want to talk to other people who love it too. smile

furlinedsheepskinjacket Mon 17-Mar-14 18:59:18

he he limited

you only have to peek at jcs twitter to see what he's like

Lighthousekeeping Mon 17-Mar-14 19:07:07

Now I could believe it of Meryl

Wibblytummy Mon 17-Mar-14 21:37:26

Agree with OP, we watched two episodes then un series linked it. It just was a bit flat and slow.

JohnFarleysRuskin Mon 17-Mar-14 21:43:23

I like it. It's not noisily funny but I find it quietly amusing. Good observations, uncomfortable relationships, gentle humor. Both doll and em come across as v likeable.

Davros Wed 26-Mar-14 13:42:55

Loved it in the end

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 26-Mar-14 17:29:36

Going to watch the final one tonightsmile

Thought it was very clever last week the way it was a total surprise that Em had a family and they brought her back down to earth the minute she hugged them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now