Talk

Advanced search

SHETLAND - returns tonight

(36 Posts)
guineapiglet Tue 11-Mar-14 18:51:04

Does anyone remember watching this last year - very good detective series set amongst stunning scenery - we all loved it here, very low key type writing, very understated, but good viewing, It is on at 9pm tonight, can't remember whether Beeb 1 or 2. Something to look forward to as Call of Duty due to expire next week, and also Salamander.....

guineapiglet Tue 11-Mar-14 18:51:49

Call of Duty????

Can you tell I have a teenage son??

I mean Line of Duty blush

HolidayArmadillo Tue 11-Mar-14 18:55:25

I know the author who wrote the books. <pointless claim to fame> she's lovely and I'm so pleased this is doing so well!

householdchorewhore Tue 11-Mar-14 20:20:16

Watched the first series but can't for the life of me remember what happened! Will give it a go tonight.

littlebluedog12 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:22:27

Ooh I saw an advert for this, looks good!

QueenFuri Tue 11-Mar-14 22:04:24

I enjoyed this its very dark though I think this time around, I did think part 2 was in tomorrow though not next week!

starfishmummy Tue 11-Mar-14 22:06:55

Will have to watch on iplayer or wait for a repeat. Dh was watching the mentalist :-(

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 11-Mar-14 22:17:57

I watched it tonight. I thought it was very good. It's very bleak but atmospheric at the same time.
I like the lead actor, Douglas Henshall sp.

ApplesinmyPocket Wed 12-Mar-14 00:00:02

I really enjoyed this tonight - more than the first one. I have a lovely friend who lives on Shetland, I'm always threatening to move there and become her neighbour because it's just so beautiful - and tonight's episode just got me looking for houses there all over again.

I bought the book tonight from Amazon as well - waving to the author via HolidayArmadillo grin

guineapiglet Thu 13-Mar-14 15:13:43

hi, yes,just watched and thought it was really atmospheric and watchable,but I loved the last series, too.. I think Douglas Henshall is fab, but I am utterly in love with the island, it is just so beautiful and wild.
the story and characters make you feel that you are part of a community, and the white nights of midsummer's eve made it very spooky, ...really, really good.. and I would so love to live there envy

<disclaimer! I have always wanted a pet raven! they are amazing birds>

Florabella Thu 13-Mar-14 22:00:24

I do like the series, but it does wind me up that there's not one Shetland accent to be heard! Admittedly they'd not the easiest accent to understand, but it just grates on me - Shetland isn't full of Glaswegians!!

BabyMummy29 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:18:51

I watched the first programme last year and found it to be really dreary so won't be returning to it. Wasn't the lead detective called something like Perez which I thought was a ridiculous name for a supposed Shetlander.

mrsbirdie Sat 15-Mar-14 13:24:18

His name is all explained in the books - something about a great-great-grandfather being a Spanish sailor I think. He settled on Shetland and the name has been passed down since.
Same lady who wrote the Vera books if you liked that. HolidayArmadillo I'm very jealous that you know her!
It is quite different to the books I find (particularly his background/love life) so was a bit confusing but Raven Black was a good story so I recommend giving it a go, I'm planning on catching up in the gap in my life left by the end of Call the Midwife.

Travelledtheworld Sat 15-Mar-14 23:08:18

Thought this was great. Loved the landscape shots.
My daughter said " Mum, is it about a pony ?".......

HolidayArmadillo Sun 16-Mar-14 09:37:08

Ann is lovely. Or ann of cleeves as I call her. Very normal and deserving of all this success. (And she paid for her daughter and I to get absolutely Trollied last month so she gets extra points for that!)

Davros Tue 18-Mar-14 07:43:10

I enjoyed it as I'm desperate for some decent drama and not reality or documentaries. But isn't it like one if those Danish series which I refuse to watch as they are so grim (and overrated)? They could have been speaking Damish half the time as far as I was concerned, Glaswegian or not. I was tempted to turn on the subtitles!

Greypuddle Tue 18-Mar-14 21:17:21

True, there are a few too many Glaswegians to be believable, but the blond male policeman is a native Shetlander and the rest of them aren't all from Glasgow...just to defend it...

ApplesinmyPocket Tue 18-Mar-14 22:20:52

I loved it. Enjoyed it more than Series 1. Was really surprised at the dénouement and I'm normally quite quick to spot the killer.

Loved Jimmy's gentleness with Magnus and the way he went back to a clean, furnished cottage. A very nice relationship there.

I like Tosh, too. And the scenery is just stunning...

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 19-Mar-14 12:04:34

I enjoyed the second episode. I didn't guess at all who the murderer was.
I doubt there's enough Shetlanders in the acting profession to make up a mini series, but they could have attempted the accent, they're actors after all.
Though I'm sure Shetland is probably full of incomers, I live in a small Highland village and there's very few native accents left.
Will definitely watch again.

somersethouse Sat 22-Mar-14 11:46:32

Very impressed you know Anne Cleeves Holiday, I think she is a brilliant writer, please tell her for me!

Loving the series, love the scenery, it is lovely to watch.

figgypuddings Sat 22-Mar-14 11:50:26

Brian Cox was superb and he had a very good Shetland accent. His last line made me well up.

householdchorewhore Sat 22-Mar-14 12:00:02

Is that it? Was it just a two parter??

WanderingAway Sat 22-Mar-14 13:14:07

I enjoyed the first series and the last two episodes.

With regard to accents I live in my hometown but i dont have a local accent because i lived somewhere else for a few years before moving back so my accent is a bit diluted.

mousmous Tue 25-Mar-14 22:02:37

I'm a bit lost. can someone give me a summary of tonight's episode?

legoplayingmumsunite Tue 25-Mar-14 22:03:13

Agree Brian Cox was fabulous, i saw him recently in the drama about Dr wHo and didn't twig at all who he was when I started watching Shetland, i thought it was a local. His accent was very good.

So, who is the killer in tonight's episode?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now