Talk

Advanced search

Canned laughter

(7 Posts)
Mintyy Sat 01-Mar-14 19:20:19

Had the house to myself last night and sat down to watch series 1 of Alan Patridge, which my dyoungestbrother gave me on dvd for Christmas. It was first aired in 1996/97 - was amazed at how dated the fashions/hairstyles looked.

But, anyway, the most dismaying thing was the awful canned laughter! I almost gave up on it but sort of managed to half tune it out.

Did it always have canned laughter?? Do they still do this on comedy shows? I hardly ever watch tv so was very disappointed, tbh.

Mintyy Sat 01-Mar-14 19:43:55

No one cares sad

specialsubject Sat 01-Mar-14 19:45:57

I care smile

Decent comedy shows (of which there are very few now) don't have canned laughter. But it is apparently quite a fight for those who make them to stop it.

LetZygonsbeZygons Sat 01-Mar-14 19:56:56

I don't mind it actually. For me it enhances the programme. A live audience is better of course.

WhateverTrevor83 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:21:03

Hi just to say I work in TV and it's normal for the real/live clapping to be edited... (so it's not 'canned', just clipped to fit with the script) this is just to remove all the coughing/sneezing and people with particularly squeaky or OTT laughing!

When a scene is outside (not in a studio) the video is played to the studio audience and that laughter is again real and again edited.

:-)

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 03-Mar-14 16:59:30

Whatever that's good actually, nothing so annoying as someone coughing/sneezing/awful laugh!!

WhateverTrevor83 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:21:30

haha I know some times if things have to be re-shot a few times they'll take the laughing from the first take, rather than the less enthusiastic laughing from when the audience has heard the same punchline 50 times grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now