Talk

Advanced search

George gently

(18 Posts)
PPaka Tue 25-Feb-14 20:45:17

I've only seen this series
Love Martin shaw, but his sidekicks character is awful, am I missing something? He's horrible and pointless.
Some kind of back story?

Snugglepiggy Tue 25-Feb-14 21:20:54

I feel the same way.Watched all the last series and love anything Martin Shaw is in generally- but agree the character of his sidekick seems to have got more unpleasant , and I found myself losing interest and feeling irritated.Thought maybe I was just very tired but he definitely has more of an 'edge' this series and it's put me off watching anymore.

Cocolepew Tue 25-Feb-14 21:25:59

He has got worse each series, he's very bitter <deep>

Pixel Tue 25-Feb-14 22:28:19

I've watched this from the beginning because I love Martin Shaw (still like him as Doyle best though!) and I've always hated Bacchus. Sometimes he's made it almost unwatchable because he makes me rant, and that was even before he split up with his wife and got shot and all that.

thegreylady Wed 26-Feb-14 09:34:35

Last week's GG was one of the best bits of tv drama I have seen. Bacchus is great,he is of his time, we aren't meant to love him. He is a foil for Gently and their complex characters complement each other perfectly.

grimbletart Wed 26-Feb-14 11:10:33

As the series is set in 1969 the characters reflect the attitudes of that era. There were quite a lot of "Bacchuses" around in the
1960s.

Theas18 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:18:33

Nah Bacchus is brilliant.

I'm with grimble, he's the attitude of the era and a foil for Gently and his progressive (probably revolutionary and unpopular) notions that, for instance the death of a black girl is as important as that of a white girl in one of the old episiodes (that was a stunner, Gently battled with everyone and the family couldn't even believe he was on their side initially), or that women are people too and not to be made scapegoats just because they are female ( the recent death in custody one).

PPaka Wed 26-Feb-14 19:53:57

I think the program is great and the way they show the era's attitudes through Bacchus is v cleverly done, but he has no redeeming features, he's angry, aggressive, I didnt even feel for him when he wasn't getting to see his daughter.
That's why I asked if I'd missed something, ie, he's got a lot to be bitter about. I know they were obviously in a shooting together which was traumatic.

nennypops Wed 26-Feb-14 20:40:03

I like Bacchus, I think the relationship with Gently works very well. I actually struggle more with Gently, mainly because Martin Shaw bloody annoyed me in Judge John Deed, but I'll concede he's doing a good job with this.

Bowlersarm Wed 26-Feb-14 20:42:40

It's a bit weird. Watchable, but not quite sure why. If it's on, I wouldn't miss it. If I know it will be on, I don't look forward to it. Weird.

Pixel Wed 26-Feb-14 21:46:50

PPaka, I think that's it. I realise he is a product of his time and have no problem with that, it's just the complete lack of redeeming features that makes me dislike him. Most 'flawed' or complex characters have some good points to balance out the bitterness, stubborness or whatever, but he never considers anyone else's feelings.

fussychica Thu 27-Feb-14 13:11:30

I have really loved this series - one of the best things on at the mo. Last one tonight - will really miss it. Fantastic stories and script. Both Gently and Bacchus are top notch - thegreylady has it nailed.

Theas18 Thu 27-Feb-14 22:12:37

Spoiler alert

Hooray they didn't bump him off!
Gently looked so old and ill in this one, what with the"bad leg" thing and then going down the mine- along with the telling Bacchus to take his sergeants exams I though he was a gonner!

longingforsomesleep Fri 28-Feb-14 00:27:27

I think John Bacchus is great too - very much of his era. He does have redeeming features - he loves his daughter, we occasionally see a very tender side and he's completely loyal to Gently (took a bullet for him at the end of the last series). He's grown up quite a lot with each series and Gently's managed to soften some of his sharper edges.

I think the relationship between Bacchus and the WPC has been wonderful - just disappointed they didn't get together as I'm sure they fancy each other!

LindyHemming Sat 01-Mar-14 18:08:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nennypops Sat 01-Mar-14 19:08:20

Another one surprised at the statement that Bacchus has no redeeming features. In the last episode, for instance, he was the one who told the woman officer that it was her work that had led to the crime being solved.

And he has a lovely smile.

Anyone know where that episode was filmed, btw? Looked like a working mine?

PPaka Sat 01-Mar-14 19:27:53

Haven't seen the last one yet

insancerre Sun 02-Mar-14 07:37:52

might have been Beamish museum neenypops
there aren't any working mines left in the northeast
Beamish is great, there are loafs of old buildings that have been moved and rebuilt on site
and you can go down the mine too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now