Talk

Advanced search

why is breaking bad so good?

(24 Posts)
YorkshireTeaGold Mon 24-Feb-14 08:52:10

Ive watched about 3 ephs and just don't get it. Performances are great but I just don't care about the character s or where it's going.... Is it just me?! Obv everyone raves about it so feel I'm being dim.

Does it get better? If you love it, why?

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 24-Feb-14 08:56:15

IMO it does get better. I got the box set at Christmas and we watched about 3 episodes a night until finished.

I changed how I felt about most of the characters during the series and the one I liked best in the beginning was my most hated at the end.

Obviously its not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

tobiasfunke Mon 24-Feb-14 08:57:04

It really does get better. The first 2 series at least are quite slow to start with and then build to a great climax. Persevere and you will be rewarded.

furrymuff Mon 24-Feb-14 08:59:14

I didn't get into it until nearer the end of the first season and felt very much like you - couldn't warm to the characters at all! The obsession sneaks up on you I think, so that you finish watching one episode and think "ooh, maybe I could fit another one in before bed"! And before you know it you're utterly hooked. I was bereft when I watched the last episode and felt like something was missing from my life for a good few weeks. Stick with it, I think you'll find it grows on you! grin

DipMeInChocolate Mon 24-Feb-14 09:02:49

I think you get to see interesting points of each character, I like the shaky docu style its filmed in. The way the characters are interweaved in stories and you can never predict how an episode will pan out. We try to guess by the first scene (usually a hint of what the episode is about) but ultimately always have it wrong.

YorkshireTeaGold Mon 24-Feb-14 09:04:08

Everyone says it's a grower so maybe I do need to preserve... Just that I've got a baby and a toddler so need to have something to look forward to with my litre of gin on a night.

Was interested in why others loved it so

CheeryCherry Mon 24-Feb-14 09:06:28

Is it suitable for a 13 year old? Wondering about watching it with her this week now its half term.

Jacksterbear Mon 24-Feb-14 09:09:35

I was hooked from the first minute of the first episode! Hard to say why. Just really gripping. Agree you change how you feel about the characters (I'm currently on season 5!).

Cheery - nooo! It's one of the most violent, gruesome things I've seen.

Clearlymisunderstood Mon 24-Feb-14 09:10:30

Cheery definitely not suitable for a 13 year old I'd say.

Piddlepuddle Mon 24-Feb-14 09:12:35

Cheery - I wouldn't say suitable for a 13 year old, no. More the ideas and concepts than anything.. Although is pretty gory at times.

I was hooked from the start, but we are just getting to the end of season 4 and it is utterly addictive - I envy anyone just starting it!

DipMeInChocolate Mon 24-Feb-14 09:12:53

No not for 13 yr old. Unless he's into hard drugs and decapitation.

ineedanexcuse Mon 24-Feb-14 09:13:48

If watching right from the start then maybe you could use watching it together as a talking point for a wide variety of topics ( drugs probably being the lesser of them really) .

It is violent but as its in context it doesnt seem too much.Lots of swearing of course but thats a given now for most current media.

But if its already part way through it may be too much to catch up on and simply watch without interminably explaining who so and so is and how they relate to the main character.

CheeryCherry Mon 24-Feb-14 10:10:30

Ok thanks all! I'll scrap that idea!

eightytwenty Mon 24-Feb-14 10:18:06

Yorkshire thanks for timely thread. Have just watched episode 2 and not getting it either. Dh was obsessed last year and is happy to re watch it with me. Will persevere to see if I "get it".

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 24-Feb-14 10:44:41

I'm emetophobic and found there was too much puking, plus scenes like the dissolved corpse dripping from the ceiling made me think that one of the characters might puke again, so I just couldn't watch.

Is there more puking or should I just throw my hat at is? I don't really care how good it is, if I'm worried about vomit there's absolutely no chance I can keep watching.

Jacksterbear Mon 24-Feb-14 20:28:50

CrazyOldCatLady not loads but I think there might be one or two more puking scenes (that's up to season 5; not seen further).

PPaka Mon 24-Feb-14 20:36:48

Performances are great
Well written, clever
Enthralling
Riveting
On the edge of your seat
Unbelievably fantastic twists and turns
You're amazed and disappointed and shocked with the characters
Funny too, made me laugh out loud in some places
It is quite gruesome in places, but its about psycho drug dealers, so it's not going to be pg rated

I remember it was about episode 4/5 that I started to love it
I watched it all in 2 weeks, completely obsessed

littlebluedog12 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:44:55

Dark, gritty, funny, fantastic actors.

Hang in there, you haven't met Better Call Saul yet, he's the best character ever!

YokoUhOh Mon 24-Feb-14 20:49:38

It's slow at first because the scene needs to be set; it lulls the viewer into a false sense of security: 'loser' Walt who'd do anything out of desperation for his family. Once you think you understand the dynamic, you are shown, bit by bit, exactly why everything isn't as it seems. It's like Shakespearian tragedy, or existentialist 'bad faith'.

Sandancer Mon 24-Feb-14 21:51:26

I must admit when I first started watching it I didn't really think much of it but I stuck with it and I became hooked. I've started watching it all over again because I was having withdrawal symptoms and I've noticed some things which I missed first time round.
Still can't believe Walt is the same actor from Malcolm In The Middle.

eightytwenty Mon 24-Feb-14 22:33:18

Grimest floor cleaning I've ever seen at start of episode 3.

frankyboop Mon 24-Feb-14 22:42:25

I didn't think it was a grower at all! I was hooked from the very start! If anything it dips slightly in series 2 and 3 but WOW-series 4...currently have about 5 episodes left till it's all over. Can't remember what I used to do in the evenings! Anyone watch House of Cards? Will it fill the void?!

diege Wed 26-Feb-14 12:05:16

I watched the final episode last night, after gorging on an episode a night since jan. Am in serious withdrawal grin. I have been recommended Dexter, Prison Break, House of Cards as possible substitutes <sobs>

lambchopfiend Fri 28-Feb-14 11:08:11

I think it's great because you can really put yourself in his and Skylar's shoes. Even though what they're doing is wrong. It's quite strange and compelling seeing the 'bad man' not as someone abstract and cliched, but as someone just like the rest of us. Family, health problems etc....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now