Talk

Advanced search

Amazon prime UK to include free film and tv streaming

(25 Posts)
NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 07:54:36

Just like they have in the USA! Unlimited streaming of 15,000 films and TV episodes, apparently. They mention 'Dexter' and 'The Walking Dead' but don't give a list. This will be a real rival to Netflix, I think. Plus of course you'll get free delivery on all Amazon physical items. Oh and one kindle book to borrow free a month (whoop-de-do! - one!).

If you sign up in the next few days you get it at £49 for a year, after that it goes up to £79.

I had a free trial of Prime over Xmas, but didn't sign up as I didn't think it worth it just for the deliveries and borrowing 1 kindle book per month, not when I knew what US customers got. However now I think I might go for it.

I hate to advertise Amazon but I am pathetically excited about this!

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 21-Feb-14 08:14:52

I think this is because Amazon own LoveFilm. So you will get a LoveFilm subscription as part of the Amazon Prime.
I have LoveFilm for 5.99 per month so not a bad deal - if you like any of the content on LoveFilm, that is!

CookieLady Fri 21-Feb-14 08:16:20

Does that apply to current Amazon Prime members?

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 08:17:19

Oh so if you have LoveFilm already could you tell me a few of the TV shows it has on? How new are the films on there? I currently have Netflix.

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 08:17:51

CookieLady - yes apparently. It starts on 26 Feb.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 21-Feb-14 08:27:06

LoveFilm is okay. I have it because there are a couple of TV series on there I want to watch/re-watch. There is Dexter, Stargate SG1, The West Wing.
The film selection is pretty rubbish TBH. I have heard of about 1 in 5 of the films on there. There are a lot of animations and obscure horror films. I add a new film to my watch list about once a fortnight.
Not sure how this compares to Netflix.

Grockle Fri 21-Feb-14 08:30:56

OOoo, I was about to cancel my Amazon Prime subscription but maybe I won't then...

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 08:40:38

Thanks Cardiff

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 08:49:58

I wonder if there is some duplication of content with Netflix? Because they mention Dexter, which is on Netflix already. Netflix film selection is not great really either a lot of old stuff (but I don't mind oldies but goodies). But they do have some popular stuff like The Help, and kids things like Tangled and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Racers Fri 21-Feb-14 09:07:27

Have any of you watched and rated the Bosch pilot? I'm a big fan of the books and think this is a great first episode (author very heavily involved). We need lots of positive ratings for the series to go ahead.
www.lovefilm.com/tv/?token=%3Fu%3D%252Fcatalog%252Ftitle%252F308584%26m%3DGET

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 21-Feb-14 09:10:26

There must be some duplication because Tangled is on LoveFilm too!
I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I first got it. I think the adverts for it are a bit misleading. I had the impression there would be a lot more "big" films on there. It seems like a lot more B movie and independent stuff.
That being said there are an increasing number of TV series being made exclusively for streaming services and having just had a quick look I do have 45 films and 18 tv series on my watch list!!

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Fri 21-Feb-14 09:11:22

I have it on my watch list Racers!

I love the books too so I will try and watch and rate it this weekend.

Suttonmum1 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:20:58

Thanks for the heads up. I have had prime for some years. Will now have to cancel as £79 is too much to pay for the free postage. I am really annoyed by this as do not want streaming.

Hopefully they will send an offer after I cancel.

Hipster1 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:26:04

Suttonmum1 if you already have a £49 contract they will not put it up? Where have you read otherwise?

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 09:26:07

Oh dear Sutton. You would think they could have a cheaper level of membership if you don't want the streaming? I don't think they will though.

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 09:27:47

I think they will put it up next time Sutton needs to renew Hipster? But that might not be for a while.

Hipster1 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:31:04

You are right suttonmum1

Once Prime Instant Video is launched, the membership fee for Amazon Prime will be increased to £79. Existing customers in a paid membership plan will be able to use Prime Instant Video for free until their next renewal date. Customers who are currently on a free trial and wish to become paid members at the end of their trial will pay the fee they were offered when they signed up to the free trial.

Has me reconsidering too!

Racers Fri 21-Feb-14 09:31:06

Great stuff Cardiff - enjoy. I've watched it about 3 times. And there are loads of 'making of' clips on YouTube and Connelly's website, although I get most of my info and alerts on his Facebook page Michael Connelly Books. He's great for interaction with fans, makes you feel really behind what he is trying to do with the series. I signed up for free LoveFilm trial, although apparently you don't need to to watch the show.

Suttonmum1 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:47:35

My renewal mid April, have just done the cancellation. Really annoyed as I use it loads for the postage and was quite an early adopter of Prime but am feeling ripped off. As I said will wait to see what happens.

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 09:52:03

I didn't think about this, and seemingly Amazon didn't either - that they may lose as many customers as they gain - people who definitely don't want the streaming. This is how Amazon Prime works in the US, I believe, but I can see how it would be annoying to be forced into a higher fee for added services you don't want.

Suttonmum1 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:56:45

79 dollars a year in the states I believe, somewhat cheaper than here (of course).

NadiaWadia Fri 21-Feb-14 10:08:20

Wouldn't you know it! I am still excited though

Racers Fri 21-Feb-14 10:54:46

It is quite a price hike. Shame they can't offer the two levels of service ie the streaming as an add on.

Grockle Fri 21-Feb-14 14:10:15

I just checked my account - they gave me a free month which means my renewal is on 20th March but they're still charging me £49 this year and £79 from next year. I think I'll keep it and see how we go with the DVD streaming. I'd like to see what they'll have though - Netflix selection was so rubbish, I cancelled my subscription because they never had anything we wanted to watch.

Grockle Fri 21-Feb-14 14:11:18

And yes, the should give you the option of it - 2 levels of membership with/ without streaming. Why is it $79 but £79 pounds? That's a huge difference shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now