Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Restaurant Man

(43 Posts)
Cherrypie32 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:01:51

I know it's a bit of a cliche format now but I've really enjoyed the last two of these I've seen. DH and I never get tired of the crazy people who start business without any real idea what they're doing, but love it when they pull it off!

Bea Wed 12-Feb-14 22:52:28

Oh I think Russell is just soooo lovely and good to them! This weeks was great with the Salt Barn... looked really nice!

Last weeks irked me as the blokey seemed like the sort of bloke who didn't like being told what to do by another bloke! (have I used 'bloke' a tad too much?)

and the first one with the burger restaurant... found the chefs oil slicked hair and moustache a little much and didn't fancy my food being cooked by him!!!!

Lunaballoon Thu 13-Feb-14 06:56:50

I loved the Salt Bar one too! The woman seemed a bit ditsy and unfocused at first but ultimately created a fabulous looking restaurant with a well thought out Scandinavian menu. Lots of good reviews on TripAdvisor here

I'm really enjoying this series and was so pleased for Debbie last night. Its good to see a show like this where the chef seems to genuinely want to help rather than shout at people and boost their own ego
looking at you Gordon

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Feb-14 07:03:16

I always cheat halfway through and Google the restaurants to see if they are still going!

Bea Thu 13-Feb-14 11:03:40

ooooo! Very cunning! BikeRunSki!

5Foot5 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:12:09

Bea It's the Salt Bar not Barn and I have been twice!!

It is still very popular, we have failed to get a table on one occasion. Food is nice and service very friendly. I hope she continues to do well because Macclesfield needs a few more good eateries!

squoosh Thu 13-Feb-14 14:48:57

I like Russell, I'd like him to sort out my life for me!

I like Debbie from last night's episode, hope she does well. Thought the couple from last week were idiots.

Cherrypie32 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:42:12

Yes loved last nights lady too and glad she's still going strong. Last weeks couple were awful in that 'don't tell us what to do' (you Restaurant Man who knows what he's talking about having done it) kind if way.

Southeastdweller Sun 16-Feb-14 18:43:36

Just watched the first one. The two chaps seemed really nice and I'm glad they're doing so well. It takes a lot of guts to use up all your savings, put them into a new restaurant and leave your job.

Russell is so much nicer than Gordon. I wonder how he stays so slim?

ihatethecold Sun 16-Feb-14 20:04:18

Imagine how much his consultancy fees would be if the naive restaurant owners had to pay him?

ThursdayLast Sun 16-Feb-14 20:09:28

I love this programme!
After many many years working in hospitality, i just LOVE to shout at the telly, and roll my eyes and despair over how rubbish they all are.
NUMBERS! STAFF! NEVER EVEN WAITRESSED BEFORE?!?!
I enjoy the outrage wink

Southeastdweller Tue 18-Feb-14 21:41:12

Just watched the one with Debbie. I can't believe she didn't have costings before she opened and that her husband wasn't helping her more (or were this deliberate contrivances for TV purposes?). Glad she's done well and I'd love to visit the restaurant and also agree with her she was right not to back down on having two toilets, not one unisex one.

Cherrypie32 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:50:14

Poor Russell is getting it both barrels off the idiot this week. How do these lunatics get to open a business?

WanderingAway Wed 19-Feb-14 23:10:36

What was the second episode?

I remember the burger place and the salt bar. Which one did i miss?

Southeastdweller Thu 20-Feb-14 08:15:45

Haven't caught up with the second one yet but I know Russell went to help out with a couple who ran a gastropub in Gloucestershire.

5Foot5 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:20:57

About the Italian restaurant in Gravesend. While watching this both DH and I reached the same conclusion; the father (Tony?) probably can't read and write but didn't want to admit it.

Did anyone else think this?

It would explain his extreme resistance to any requests to write things down and plan them. Although Russell finally did manage to get him to a planning session and wrote it all down for him, he then completely disregarded it when Russell left. Again could this have been because he couldn't actually read and understand the plan they had made?

All in all I thought Tony(?) was an infuriating so-and-so and I suspect a fearful bully with his family. If it wasn't for his family one would almost say he deserved to come a cropper but they were all lovely and would have done really well if only Dad could have got out of the way and stopped screwing things up and let them have a chance to run it themselves.

Cherrypie32 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:34:54

You've missed the gastro pub in Glos Wandering grin

WanderingAway Thu 20-Feb-14 09:53:45

Ah yes i remember now thanks.

The guy thought running a pub would be a walk in the park & wanted to out price the locals.

Thymeout Thu 20-Feb-14 23:08:48

I think last night's was really rather sad. It was an old man's folly. When it came to it, he just didn't have the drive to see it through. Or, probably, the money. I think he ran out earlier than he admitted. Cheaper to be filmed painting than buying and installing kitchen equipment. He was just stringing Russell and the production crew along to save his pride.

FernieB Fri 21-Feb-14 00:23:02

I googled the Italian place from last night and their website said they will open on 1st March. Wonder if they actually will.

2tiredtocare Fri 21-Feb-14 18:33:55

Russel was my drama teacher in high school

WanderingAway Sat 22-Feb-14 08:34:20

Just finished watching this weeks episode. What a waste of time it all was.

I could quite believe that he cant read or write. That could explain why he never wanted to put anything on paper and got quite aggressive and defensive about it, and also why he wants his sons to manage the restaurant.

Strawdolly Sat 22-Feb-14 09:52:45

I had wondered about his ability to read and write too, 5foot. I also wondered what on earth made his wife stay with him, he seemed to have absolutely no respect for her, or anyone for that matter.

I didn't think it particularly sad, Thyme - he was so arrogant, serves him right. I think the place will probably do very well if he sticks to cutting hair and lets his family get on with it - they seemed quite capable.

Ragwort Sat 22-Feb-14 10:09:02

2tired - I read that Russell was a teacher before going into the hospitality industry, what was he like as a teacher? jealous grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now