Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watching Britains Great War with the Paxman? mondays .

(13 Posts)
LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 19:05:30

saw it last night, 2nd part. missed 1st part, didn't know it was on and I donrt have catchup/i.player sad.

was fascinating. paxman told it very well, the photos and footage were very poignant, I didn't know the Suffragettes tried to blow up pms house , learnt so many new things.

and the stories were so sad and tragic too.

anyone else see it?

SauvignonBlanche Tue 04-Feb-14 19:11:03

Don't mention it, DH will start ranting again. Yes I watched it, I was shocked at Paxman's impartiality, particularly towards the Irish and conscientious objectors or 'cranks' as Paxman called them.

Yes some parts were interesting but the majority was revisionist nonsense!

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 19:13:19

didn't notice that pax said cranks or anything tbh, I was fascinated by the stories.

although I would have preferred someone l;ike Clarkson narrating, he did a great job on the programme he did a Christmas.

ihatethecold Tue 04-Feb-14 19:15:59

I loved it.
Try to watch last weeks if you can, it was even better.
I bunked off history when I was at school and really regret it now.
It taught me a lot.

bruffin Tue 04-Feb-14 19:17:14

I cant stand Paxman but did find it really interesting. DH GPs met at the Woolwich Arsenal so whenever we see film of the WW1 munitions workers we wonder if one of them is Gp. We also live near Waltham Abbey Gunpowder mills.
I had never heard of the buying a drink for someone else was illegal or the rent laws. Think it would be good for Dd to watch as she is doing History and Sociology GCSEs this summer

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 19:18:40

I liked the woman making a stand against the landlord putting the rent up. thought it still goes on these days with LL.

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Feb-14 19:19:37

Ihate is there anywhere I can find it, ive got sky but its not repeated anywhere so I cant get iplayer/catchup whatever.

Greydog Tue 04-Feb-14 19:20:13

I've really enjoyed it, and have the book that goes with it. It has made me weep, and I have to read it when no one is about. It has to be said that Billy the horse nearly finished me off!

ihatethecold Tue 04-Feb-14 19:48:17

You should be able to watch it on I player on your phone or computer!
Maybe?

LetZygonsbeZygons Wed 05-Feb-14 17:51:37

got a manky old p-hone so no dice there! ill try on the computer thanks.

echobaseuk Thu 06-Feb-14 23:47:44

An Insider post... Episode 3 and 4 are the best ones.
;-)

ihatethecold Fri 07-Feb-14 06:27:05

Insider post. Tell me more. Did you help put the program together ?
Are you Jeremy?

Cocolepew Sat 08-Feb-14 00:45:46

I'm really enjoying it, fasinating.
I've just watched Royal Cousins At War, it was very good, if a little complicated, too many relatives! I'll have to watch part 2 on iplayer, I didn't realise it was on the next night. Wish they'd stop doing that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now