Talk

Advanced search

Question about last week's fat/ sugar Horizon

(6 Posts)
Onlyconnect Mon 03-Feb-14 20:42:19

I've just watched the programme on iplayer and there's something about the conclusion, i.e. that it's fat and sugar combined that makes people fat rather than either on their own, that I am confused about.
Earlier in reprogramme they made it clear that by 'sugar' they mean all carbs as they all turn to sugar in the body in the end. Therefore when they conclude that fat-sugar combinations are better avoided, do they include savoury combinations such as pasta and creamy sauce, battery mash, bread and butter etc. ? All the examples they talked aout such as ice cream are sweet but I can't see why that would have to be the case. Any ideas?

TeacupDrama Tue 04-Feb-14 15:27:29

sorry re late answer but the more starchy carbs ( generally lower GI) take longer to be turned into sugar and do not give the immediate sugar high followed by crash that sugary foods do, but yes most fat and carb combinations seem to be the worst than just fat or just sugar in nature you do not get many foods with this combination

proteins and fats meat, dairy etc
protein with some carbs like lentils chickpeas

there are very few natural things with fat and carbs maybe avocados some nuts

also the starchy carbs can make you feel full for longer than sugary ones

most people will not eat two steaks or even 2 big lumps of cheese but would eat more chips( oil and carbs) etc

Osmiornica Wed 05-Feb-14 10:07:25

Yes, that should be any mix of carb/fat. The mix of carb and fat make you put on weight partly because of insulin response and partly because it bloody tastes nice so you eat more. As Teacup says it's hard to eat loads of meat and fat but easy to overeat carb/fat although it's also harder to overeat just carbs - how nice is that jacket spud without cheese or butter? If you had to eat it plain you wouldn't eat as much.

The programme however was totally biased against fats. There's an analysis on it here www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/02/horizon-sugar-vs-fat/

tb Wed 05-Feb-14 20:04:15

Think it was a bit too extreme to be any use, really.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 05-Feb-14 20:06:37

Teacup, I think you mean less starchy carbs that are lower GI?

TeacupDrama Thu 06-Feb-14 19:14:29

I meant carbs that are more starchy than sugary ie potatoes rice pasta which have lower GI than cakes biscuits and icecream, even ordinary bread white pasta would be better than pure sugary stuff as osmi says you can't eat that much bread/ potato with no butter or oil you could eat more rice without any fats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now