Vanessa Feltz wants to breastfeed her grandson!

(29 Posts)
LisaMcGarry Wed 15-Jan-14 08:33:57

I don't what I find more disturbing. Vanessa's comments or the picture in this article.

The mental picture is frightening!

Nice that she's excited though lol

wp.me/pCi4w-MeC

OP’s posts: |
Dfg15 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:57:06

I wonder how her daughter feels about that!

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 15-Jan-14 14:00:11

oh she's just all excited and feeling maternal bless her.
I remember my own MIL said the same thing and I was a bit shock but now that I have breastfed my own child I can understand how it feels.

I don't like that the article says 'Sweet lord! The mental image is terrifying!'
what is terrifying about the idea of Vanessa breastfeeding, or is this just yet another of those breast/fat/women bashing views.

What she is actually promoting - babies being breastfed - is overall a good thing.

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 15-Jan-14 14:02:37

This has also been reported. She sounds like she will be a lovely grandparent.

Despite her joy, Cambridge University educated Vanessa is vaguely aware that she must refrain from engulfing the latest addition to the Feltz family with too much love and recently wrote in her column: 'I must remember that this is not my baby.
'Though it will feel like flesh of my flesh and my urge will be to cuddle it as tightly as humanly possible and not let go, I must remind myself that I'm a generation removed.
'I will do my utmost to take my cue from the new mummy and daddy. I will offer advice only when asked but offer help, food for the parents and babysitting services in unlimited supplies.'

Thumbwitch Wed 15-Jan-14 14:03:57

Just because she has big boobs, it's terrifying?! hmm

No.

But I too wonder how her DD feels about it - I'd be HORRIFIED at the thought of my MIL trying to breastfeed my baby, and my own mum wasn't much of a bf'er (3d for me, not sure she even managed the colostrum for my sibs) but I think that would have bothered me too.

As for the "we are a grandmother" - I really hope she was being tongue-in-cheek about that.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 15-Jan-14 14:06:06

I think she just got carried away. How lovely for that baby to have a family who love him so much.

It's great she's so happy and wants to be involved.

She just sounds like an over excited grandma, let her enjoy it bless her.

PoopMaster Wed 15-Jan-14 14:06:07

Well that wasn't the most enlightened article, was it hmm

I understand what she means - I think everything is being taken too literally!

Advertisement

sillyoldfool Wed 15-Jan-14 14:10:08

Oh bless her she just let the words out without thinking, I can understand feeling that urge.
she's giddy and madly in love with her grandson, its lovely.

NewBlueCoat Wed 15-Jan-14 14:15:44

she sounds happy and excited to eb a grandmother.

I would love to have an older generation sound as interested in my children (my parents are dead, PIL are, quite frankly, bonkers and not involved at all - thankfully!).

It does sound a bit OTT, but then gain, her dds are used to having her as their mother, iyswim, so wouldn't expect anythign less.

I wish them all the best

coppertop Wed 15-Jan-14 14:17:01

From what I've heard of her on the radio, she's just very excited about her new grandson finally arriving.

Showy Wed 15-Jan-14 14:22:55

I think those of us who aren't grandparents yet find it hard to understand what it feels like. My MIL was completely overwhelmed by becoming a grandma. She felt so privileged to experience the natural and all-consuming love which crashes into existence when you become a parent and never realised that it feels the same to welcome your own grandchild. They feel like 'yours' in that same way that your own dc feel like yours. I think it's a very animalistic thing and the desire to nurture is strong.

I wouldn't take it literally at all. It's lovely that she's positively reinforcing the sheer pleasure of welcoming a grandchild. It's a shame that in her exuberance, she's chosen words which will be seized by a minority and held up as something shameful.

bluebayou Wed 15-Jan-14 15:14:20

Frankly I am appalled , what a silly woman

sillyoldfool Wed 15-Jan-14 16:01:29

a few generations back grandmothers probably did sometimes bf their grandchildren!

LisaMcGarry Wed 15-Jan-14 17:21:02

Still, she freaks me out a little.....

notundermyfoof Thu 16-Jan-14 00:37:51

Oh bless her, shes just really excited about her new grandson. I understood what she meant, shes not actually intending to breastfeed him fgs hmm

xuntitledx Thu 16-Jan-14 04:50:34

I'm sure she didn't mean it literally but it's still a creepy thing to say. I'd be a little hmm if I heard my MiL or DM say that.

HereIsMee Thu 16-Jan-14 04:58:15

That's one baby that won't get hungry. It could be practical but I agree she's probably a bit excited at being a new gran.

LisaMcGarry Thu 16-Jan-14 13:07:45

I hadn't thought about the MIL angle. God imagine being the baby's dad lol

PPaka Thu 16-Jan-14 18:58:24

Oh fgs
She doesn't mean it literally
Can you not read between the lines
She's just excited

horsetowater Thu 16-Jan-14 19:20:21

I love VF, she's smart and witty. What she does in her private life is sometimes odd, but the media would find something odd to say about anyone.

Of course she's not literally going to breastfeed her GC. VF is the queen of metaphor and exaggeration.

TaraLott Thu 16-Jan-14 19:23:50

How very rude, she's excited and thrilled and good luck to them all.

3bunnies Thu 16-Jan-14 19:26:16

Now that is the sort of thread AIBU was made for.

TheDoctrineOf2014 Thu 16-Jan-14 19:30:45

We are a grandparent is a clear pisstake of Margaret thatcher, no?

She seems very excited and lovely

BettyMacdonald Thu 16-Jan-14 19:34:46

I bloody love Vanessa - her radio show is fab. She's just hugely maternal and thoroughly over excited!

NewBlueCoat Thu 16-Jan-14 23:18:17

I can see (already! and my dc are all young - youngest is still breastfeeding, so not as though it is an imminent prospect) that when handed a grandchild in the future, and cradlign alittle newborn, it will feel a bit odd to not sit down all tucked up, and settle in for a snuggly feed. it's what you do with babies, isn't it? (disclaimer - I had nothing to do with babies at all before i had mine, so no experience of handling a newborn and not feeding it, and have bf all 3 of them past a year. dd1 had part time bottles, dd2 had an occasional bottle and ds has had none at all, so it really will feel a bit alien to hold a baby but not feed it, tbh)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in