Talk

Advanced search

liberty of london

(38 Posts)
southeastastra Mon 09-Dec-13 21:23:37

am loving this series so far and really want to work there now! can't believe i have only been in the shop once though i just forget it's there!

FrazzleRock Mon 09-Dec-13 21:42:08

I love it. It reminds me of my childhood getting 'dragged' around Liberty (and the antiques dept in Peter Jones) by my mother. I was far too young to appreciate it then but I'm in awe of it now.

Oldraver Mon 09-Dec-13 22:02:19

Liberty is technically my employer so most of us at work are watching it. We are used to the 'flamboyant' nature of it though.

wonderstuff Mon 09-Dec-13 22:05:39

I've never been. I feel I missed my calling as a liberty fabric designer, looks like a fabulous job.

southeastastra Mon 09-Dec-13 22:50:31

ooh what do you do oldraver (though i understand if you don't want to say) i can't wait to go now will visit next week!

Davros Tue 10-Dec-13 10:25:21

I go there regularly because it is my favourite shop. I often don't buy anything but I am a bit obsessed with anything in liberty print. I've got some Nike trainers, I'm eying vans, I've got a Levi jacket with liberty lining from years ago and I've got one of their little suitcases. I like the programme but I'm a bit ODd on these programmes, e.g. Gregg's, Claridges

Mamf74 Tue 10-Dec-13 11:15:28

I love Liberty, it's just like something from Aladdin! I used to work nearby and would wander in on stressful days and feel myself relax.

Have loads of bits & pieces that I picked up as a teenager that are still going strong many, many years later!

UriGeller Tue 10-Dec-13 11:17:31

If I was very quiet, do you think I could live in Liberty? Its my favourite place, utterly bonkers grin

mrselgar Tue 10-Dec-13 11:54:31

I'm watching it, I just love it. I want to be the head fabric designer, or at very least work in the haberdashery dept. I would never leave. I'm so jealous of people who work there

Stila Tue 10-Dec-13 15:29:38

Davros I have one of those Levi jackets . I remember seeing it in the window at the top of Carnaby St and knew I had to have it !

Davros Tue 10-Dec-13 15:41:23

Exactly where I got mine. They had an extra little shop at the back full of funky liberty print things. I think it went the way of the Kingston branch and others. They were getting over ambitious I think

Mintyy Tue 10-Dec-13 15:46:52

I was in there the other day with 10,000 American tourists.

I bought a dear little felt robin Christmas tree decoration (£8.00).

I kept seeing random little things I could have bought for the dc stockings, but then I remembered I was also going to John Lewis that day so could save myself a fortune.

I did, however, fall in love with a lime green velvet chesterfield. Only £3,000 ... was very tempted!

We saw the signs up about television filming everywhere, but no cameras. I was slightly disappointed grin as I had my makeup on and looked quite glamorous for once.

Southeastdweller Tue 10-Dec-13 16:56:46

It's a very entertaining program for sure but also very glossy. I suspect the managing director can be very fierce as can the marketing and communications lady (Kate?). I wouldn't mind knowing what the staff turnover there is.

wintertimeisfun Tue 10-Dec-13 19:12:37

i love libertys' and always go in if i am in town although can't really afford to buy anything other than the odd tiny thing. had my wedding list there so have sentimental memories of going in in my lunch break as i used to work in the same street, fab' place

nikkihollis Wed 11-Dec-13 03:19:24

I am thoroughly enjoying it. I've only been in the scarf dept once and somehow failed to realise there was a whole load of other wonderful departments. I would love to have half a day to explore. Next time I go to see DD I'm going to suggest we go.

The fabric designer was so interesting - she seems to totally live design. And I love Shukla and the two women in the haberdashery dept knitting. The whole place just seems so wonderfully eccentric. Some of the staff DO seem fearsome I agree - The marketing woman and the manager who was walking around before opening time giving everyone a hard time about what a mess everything was (looked fine to me?!) Would love to be able to afford something there but could run to a Christmas dec or similar.

I love Ed. It must be hard to keep true to the spirit and ethos of the store without totally selling out. I hope he manages to enable it to keeps its identity and doesn't end up filling it with top of the market concessions.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Wed 11-Dec-13 03:27:42

I love the shop and the programme, too.

I made my wedding dress, buying quite a lot if the necessaries in Liberty, and the delightful ladies in the haberdashery department quietly told me where I could buy the same beads far cheaper.

nikkihollis Wed 11-Dec-13 13:27:34

ComeInto that's really lovely re the beads. And watching the prog, I could imagine them doing that. Louis made me laugh this week with his excitement about Alexa Chung's visit and which tie was going to be suitable for such a hip guest. I'm sure she would have totally noticed had he worn a tie that wasn't fitting smile

Echocave Wed 11-Dec-13 16:45:16

I did hate the segment about not bothering with 'fluff' but targeting the high spenders. I know it's a business which seems to be struggling a bit but it was so clumsily done even the new recruits looked shocked. PR error to show it.

Bue Thu 12-Dec-13 18:04:39

Haven't seen the second yet but loved the first episode. Am a huge Liberty fan - I even had a Liberty-inspired wedding blush Decorations and the men's ties were all in vintage prints.

I go in whenever I'm around Oxford Street but almost never buy anything as it's so horribly overpriced. The same pasta bowls I was looking at there were 1/3 less at John Lewis!

Some of those salespeople's commissions were eye watering shock Loved what's her face (Shukla?), and the fact that the boss said she even manages to fleece him from time to time!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 12-Dec-13 23:37:25

I did some Christmas shopping in Liberty today. It made me remember why I used to love it so, eye-watering prices notwithstanding.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Thu 12-Dec-13 23:45:56

I love the programme too
went there once years ago
ordered some pressies online today - the drop down bar for typ;ing your address made me smile - title mr miss mrs hrh duke lady etc etc

southeastastra Tue 17-Dec-13 08:20:22

i went yesterday, thought i was beat the rush and go on a drab monday morning, was as fab as i was expecting and isnt' wasn't busy at all (though was early) was very out of my depth in ladies fashions but loved the home department and was tempted by a small leather bear grin. could spend a small fortune in the beauty department though! fun visit will be back!

minko Tue 17-Dec-13 11:04:41

What happened to the rather timid Xmas shop manager chappy (I think he had red hair), who didn't order enough Xmas baubles - he was conspicuously absent by the end of the programme!

nikkihollis Tue 17-Dec-13 11:23:33

Minko - they got the grizzly bear on to him I reckon.
Loved the gift bags for their best customers. £700s worth! Crikey. I would hate to work for that General Manager guy though. There's perfectionism and then absolute ridiculousness and I think he's in danger of tipping over the edge. Am sad it's finished now.
Southeast I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I really want to go now after watching this. My friend was saying she used to have a thing about a leather hippo there which was ££££. She is really amazing with her hands and got a pattern and some leather and made one herself! envy.

Southeastdweller Tue 17-Dec-13 12:31:22

Very much enjoyed the episode last night. Shame it was only a three-parter - I thought it could easily have been a six-part series.

Looking forward to going during the week after Christmas when the crowds have quietened down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now