Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only person still watching the Mentalist?

(25 Posts)
whatkungfuthat Sun 19-May-13 09:38:56

Now that Jane has narrowed down is suspects the next series is going to get interesting

Morgause Sun 19-May-13 09:40:59

I love Jane.

ChunkyChicken Sun 19-May-13 09:45:46

DH & I do still watch but yesterday had the conversation that its all getting a bit too 'out there' now. Most of the time, the plot has been far fetched but just about acceptable & enjoyable to watch. Now we're expected to believe that a California based serial killer has never been caught, has super-human powers of persuasion & influence & can identify 'a happy memory'? It's a step too far for my personal ability to suspend disbelief iyswim. Should be an interesting series - I just hope they finally lay the Red John thing to rest.

Pixel Sun 19-May-13 22:16:31

I love Jane too smile.

The happy memory thing was a bit odd but as for the rest, knowing who he's narrowed his suspects down to and everything, Jane doesn't know that his lock-up was broken into and all the stuff on his wall photographed, so of course it seems to him as if Red John has got inside his brain. I'm also wondering if the room is now bugged or a hidden camera put there somehow?
Are we supposed to have guessed who Red John is are is it all red herrings? (no pun intended grin). When Lorelei told Jane he'd shaken hands with him I immediately thought of an earlier scene which seemed a bit odd at the time, with Jane shaking hands with someone in a corridor and saying "do I know you?" and the person saying "No, but I know you" and it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the episode. Since then that person has been cropping up doing all sorts of nasty things but I don't know if he's too obvious. I don't want to do spoilers but I could hardly bear to watch and now I'm going to have to wait even longer, arrggh!

Did I mention I love Jane?

diddl Sun 19-May-13 22:27:14

He does know it was broken into as he'd put a match in the door.

Nerfmother Sun 19-May-13 22:37:39

No, I keep starting threads on Friday nights. About three people kindly humour me, and then I resort to texting my mum!
I think it's way too far fetched - originally red John was a serial killer jane thought he could catch and said so on tv, do red John came after his wife and child. Now, it's some weird FBI related thing? It's Lisbon. Has to be.

Figbash Sun 19-May-13 22:44:07

I actually prefer the none red john stuff - when i thought he's killed the real one in the mall i was chuffed as i like Jane best when he's teasing Lisbon and catching smarmy golfing / salesman killers.

I do think we are being led to believe it is either that wierd mannequin looking bloke from homeland security or Jane himself in some sort of trance.....i was hoping lorelie would be in it more - i thought she was a very interesting character and was surprised they killed her off so quickly.

TBH I only really watch it for Cho's upper arms grin

MrsHerculePoirot Sun 19-May-13 22:47:36

I love it too, but we're always a few days behind and never get to watch it on a Friday night.

I think there will be some explanation for the memory - there must be, perhaps from when he was drinking, pre-cbi days.

Pixel - was the random hand shaker one of the seven?

Figbash Sun 19-May-13 22:50:27

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Red John is going to be one of the seven as the plot devise for the next series.

Figbash Sun 19-May-13 22:52:47

But then you never know....grin

Pixel Sun 19-May-13 23:12:43

Yes he was one of the seven.

I saw the matchstick in the door thing but then Jane carried on as normal almost as if it hadn't registered so I was a bit confused about that.

whatkungfuthat Mon 20-May-13 08:04:12

I think with the matchstick it just confirmed what he thought so he wasn't really surprised. Maybe grin I don't think its Bret Stiles and as a longtime Spurs supporter I love that there is a character called Osvaldo Ardiles, so I hope its not him.

I wondered if the psychic woman who was abducted knew about the memory somehow?

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 08:16:25

Is she still alive? I know RJ made her believe she was dead and she was sent to a psychiatric hospital - can't remember her actually dying.

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 08:16:45

Yes we noticed Ossy too grin

whatkungfuthat Mon 20-May-13 08:35:05

I think she is still alive but I don't know what happened to her after the 'seance' that Jane performed

Pixel Mon 20-May-13 16:27:39

It does annoy me a bit that Jane has been so secretive about his hidey-hole, peering round the door so no one can see in etc, and then he has the most feeble hasp and padlock on the door that would barely protect a garden shed!

whatkungfuthat Mon 20-May-13 16:33:49

Where does he wee?

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 16:39:04

Or shower? - He must be pretty ripe by now (series 4).

whatkungfuthat Mon 20-May-13 17:06:26

grin

Pixel Mon 20-May-13 17:22:58

Mmm, well I adore him I might have mentioned that but still I couldn't help noticing that he was asleep on that sofa for hours and hours last week and when Lisbon woke him he was up and out without so much as cleaning his teeth. No wonder Lisbon has managed to resist snogging him hmm.

Nerfmother Wed 22-May-13 17:17:20

It's a double bluff. His research is to trick red John onto thinking one thing ( red herring) grin

Noseynoonoo Wed 22-May-13 21:14:48

I adore Simon Baker. My biggest crush during adulthood.

My curve-ball theory is Jane = Red John

Nerfmother Wed 22-May-13 21:57:27

He was lovely in the guardian too. Sigh.

whatkungfuthat Thu 23-May-13 09:14:30

I only fancy him in the Mentalist. I think it's the way he plays Jane, carrying around all his grief. I thought Jane might be RJ too but the guy who created it has said he isn't. Could be someone he is related too though.

gingercat12 Thu 23-May-13 13:02:32

I used to watch him, but really can't watch Red John and the constant references to his family dying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now