Talk

Advanced search

Lee mack in Not Going Out.

(37 Posts)
marjproops Sat 11-May-13 18:39:21

first time I watched it yeasterday, nothing else on, and I must say i really enjoyed it.

most sitcoms are sh****these days, too crass, but was pleasantly surprised at the old-fashionedness of this, Lee reminds me a lot of Leanard Rossiter, but I still liked the slapstick/pratfalls/cheesy jokes, a welcome change from the crass ness of other things.

Like Katy Wix too, ever since she was in Horrrible histories.

Portofino Sat 11-May-13 18:40:37

DH had it on last night and I thought it was dreadful. Sorry. Bring back Coupling....

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 18:46:04

oh thats a shame. mind you its the 1st one ive seen? im just old fashioned when it comes to entertainment, things like little britain and the like are too crass for me.

DC and I love watching dads army/some mothers do ave em and stuff like that so for me it was almost harking back to the 70's/early 80's type stuff.

im glad it doesnt bow down to peer pressure, really, and i love Lee Mack anyway!

lisaro Sat 11-May-13 18:51:15

It was on the other week - it was terrible! And I like him on other shows. Maybe it's marmite, like Miranda disclaimer hate Miranda, love Marmite.

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 18:55:40

see, i like miranda but not her programme, id like to, but maybe i should give that another chance.

BeerTricksPotter Sat 11-May-13 19:04:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floralnomad Sat 11-May-13 19:10:43

I agree ,I've really enjoyed the previous ones but this series is awful . Which is a shame as Lee Mack is one of my favourite comedians at the moment . I think its missing Tim Vine .

lynniep Sat 11-May-13 19:18:32

I have to day its one of the rare programs which makes me LOL. but I agree this new series isn't floating my boat. and the 'drumming up business' scenes last week were making me cringe.

dopeysheep Sat 11-May-13 19:24:21

He is Leonard Rossiter!
Only seen one episode where he has to be really quiet at the parents' house and accidentally sets off hundreds of Spanish dolls doing the flamenco. I really liked it.

BeerTricksPotter Sat 11-May-13 19:28:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Sat 11-May-13 19:31:42

I love it, but agree this series isnt so good. The earlier ones are usually repeated on Dave or Gold.

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 19:54:23

ill have to check out the early ones on the other channels.

yy thats exactly it, the retro-ness, thats what i like about it.

RandomMess Sat 11-May-13 19:56:05

Liked the previous series most of this one has been dire!

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 20:00:56

know what? if this ones dire then ill have a heart attack laughing so much at previus ones then grin

TBH very very few things make me laugh,( for good reasons,) so for something to tickle my dormant funny bone for me its a gold medal.

I just must have a warped sense of humour!

mind you, this was after seeing LM in would I lie to you which is hilarious.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sat 11-May-13 20:06:27

Love NGO but this series is struggling to hit the spot without Tim Vine. I don't think it was him that made it, just that the 3 main characters bounced so well off each other.

Never esp found Tim's girlfriend or Miranda Hart that funny thoughconfused

I think Lee Mack is excellent; he must be a big Eric Morecambe admirer, there are similarities. And I'll bet he's excellent live.

cocolepew Sat 11-May-13 20:36:35

There was an early episode where he was dressed in a gorilla suit, I laughed like a drain at one part of it.

Chipstick10 Sat 11-May-13 21:49:56

Been reading they are going to make the uk version of Everybody Loves Raymond and that Lee Mack will play Raymond to Catherine Tate's Debra. It sounds dreadful.

cocolepew Sat 11-May-13 21:51:18

Oh no. DH will be gutted.

ppeatfruit Sun 12-May-13 16:21:04

Oh marje I Love Lee Mack as well and Katie is one of DD1's best friends so I really have to watch NGO. I agree I liked Tim Vine in it too and I like Miranda.You have to concentrate on her show and it is rewarding when you do. Her BF who runs the shop with her is great and the woman who plays her Mum is fab.

Not keen on catherine Tate (Though I liked some of her show The Nan character is very well observed!) she was very rude to Katie in NMTBuzzcocks without any reason.

Housewife2010 Sun 12-May-13 17:37:24

I love NGO. I've been watching it for a few years now. I was sad when Tim Vine left and really missed him for the first couple of episodes of this series, but I think the series is still working without him & I really enjoyed Friday's episode. Marj Do you watch Would I lie to you on Fri 8:30? Lee Mack is on that too & its very funny. I like 70s sitcom & don't like Catherine Tate or Miranda or many modern comedies.( I didn't like Miranda in early series of NGO before she was well known, but I think shes terrific in Call the Midwife)

ChasingSquirrels Sun 12-May-13 17:41:45

the first 3 of this series were dreadful, the "drumming up business" scenes in last weeks episode nearly made me turn off, this Friday's was a lot better.

I have laughed a lot at it over the years though.

marjproops Sun 12-May-13 17:49:16

PP you mean Katie Wix is your DDs freind? thats nice, cool.

well im def watching next weeks as Simon Farnaby's in it and we love all the HH people in the proops household!

Horsemad Sun 12-May-13 19:26:22

I love this programme, missing Tim Vine though sad

cocolepew Sun 12-May-13 20:01:03

Why did Tim Vine leave?

Pixel Sun 12-May-13 20:13:02

I love it, it's very witty smile.

My favourite was the camping one, when they were all trapped in the car with the scary clown roaming about outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now