Talk

Advanced search

frazier - why the jump?

(97 Posts)
carlajean Mon 15-Apr-13 10:25:16

can anyone explain the running order that Channel 4 uses for Frazier? it's my guilty pleasure, especially as I didn't watch it first time around. anyway, last week Niles and Daphne had just got together. this morning I settle down with a coffee, and realize I'm watching the final episode, and Niles and Daphne have a baby. it looks as though I'll just have to get the boxed set.

marjproops Mon 15-Apr-13 17:13:21

Oh they keep doing that on comedy central too. just as you're getting used to the running order they go back to the beginning or right to the end or those inbetween! its so annoying.

they do the same with Friends and MASH.

id recommend the box set as youll never get the whole lot in one go on the tv.

montage Mon 15-Apr-13 19:55:36

As far as I can make out when they show one episode a day they follow in sequence but when they show 2 or 3 the second or third ones are sometimes randomly selected.

Disclaimer: I may be utterly wrong about this

Boxset is awesome though. Watching them in order is especially good in the early years of Nile's unrequited yearning for Daphne grin

marjproops Tue 16-Apr-13 20:24:54

noticed this morning they were showing the very 1st episode again!

not that i ever get tired of seeing it, but yes, just when you're getting the ongoing story- bam!

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 19:10:00

whats your fave episodes? DCs fave and one of mine is the one where frazier speaks Klingon at fredricks Barmitzvah. Lilleths funny too in that one.

and the 'silent comedy' scene where Niles irons his trousers.

PseudoBadger Thu 18-Apr-13 19:21:47

*Frasier wink

I'm not sure they do jump, it's just if they're showing 2 episodes every day they get through them bloody quick.

But yes get the box set you won't regret it!

montage Thu 18-Apr-13 20:20:54

I do like that episode marjproops, especially when Noel swears vengence.

My favorite is the episode where Maris and her fencing instructor may be having an affair and there is that 3-way language translating going on grin

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 20:32:01

I'm not sure I have favourite episodes, it's the exchanges I remember eg from the very first episode:
F - yes we all know what you are thinking Niles. Do you ever have an unexpressed thought?
N- Yes. I'm having one right now.

Class.

PseudoBadger Thu 18-Apr-13 21:00:33

'My brother is too kind. He was already eminent, whilst my eminence was merely imminent.' grin

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 21:11:04

oh, loved the one where Niles thought Maris was trying to have a romantic night and it was the her counsellor and Niles and the sounsellor kept coming in and out of the bedroom thinkin it was Maris!

There are too many good ones arent there? and OP, you've never seen them all before?

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 21:14:38

oh how could I forget the ski lodge episode,(Martin especially brill in that one) and the one with the costume party and Roz is wondering about if she's...(trying not to say too much, spoilers for OP)

love the whole greek tragedy/comedy of errors thats so cleverly written.

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:45

So much of Frazier is Shakesperian comedy. Mistaken identities, timely exits (off stage to the bathroom), conversations overheard (behind the 'arras'), the Fool ( Martin) speaking the truth about the main players, Frazier often as King Lear.

PseudoBadger Thu 18-Apr-13 21:20:43

And farce. There's a lot of door play in Frasier.

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 18-Apr-13 21:21:20

It matters not a jot. We have Frazier on constant record and dip in and out of the timeline quite happily. I think it is the best tv ever made

coffeeinbed Thu 18-Apr-13 21:21:25

I watched the last one this recently.
For the first time.

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 21:24:44

pan you are absolutely right (we meet again grin) very Shakespearian indeed.

and I love Frasiers over the top dramatic tones. and David Hyde pearces comic timing is exsquisite (sp).

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 21:26:50

hi marj!

yes DH is the best actor of them all. How me makes his eyes look dark suddenly when he is challenged or upset.

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 22:21:06

ooh remembered this exchange when Lilleth was asking F. to donate sperm to create a brother for their son. (forget name)

F - so does this mean we have to sleep together?
L- No, I just freeze your sperm.

pause

F - that doesn't answer the question.

carlajean Thu 18-Apr-13 22:24:57

I've only just got into it. lucky me smile

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 22:25:59

Fredrick. and the one where Fredrick wants the mountian bike or something and tries to put his parents back together for it.

Niles with the playstation game!

and the one with ferguson, the butler -love that actor, Victor Garber, and Niles finally getting Daphne.

Op, please tell us if we're spoiling this for you!!

marjproops Thu 18-Apr-13 22:27:52

Its one of those progs you never get tired of, even if youve seen it a million times.

Im the same with MASH , Friends anything Tracy Beaker (!) and Horrible histories!

Hassled Thu 18-Apr-13 22:29:53

Ooo Pan - get you with the Shakespearian analysis. And you're absolutely right.
David Hyde Pearce is the ultimate genius of the show. I love him.

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 22:39:17

yes Hassled, I am as pretentious as Frazier! I fight it.grin

Pan Thu 18-Apr-13 22:41:20

I'd seen the one today when Niles sees Daphne for the first time. I know that look. It was perfect.

carlajean Fri 19-Apr-13 10:04:53

I used to love Friends, but when I watch it now find there's whole storylines that are dull, like Phoebe's pregnancy and Marcel the monkey. actually, I think I'd delete everything without Chandler in. but, so far, Frazier is 100% good with no naff bits. oh yes, apart from Daphne's brothers and their odd accents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now