Talk

Advanced search

Does the water shed only apply to channels 1 through 5?

(13 Posts)
TwoTeaTessie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:55

As watching sky1 and there seems to be a lot of sweary programmes on in the middle of the day and I've stopped DS (8) watching the simpsons after tea as it seems to be getting worse and worse for it.
I feel like complaining as I don't want to have to listen to swearing in the middle of the day, especially when my kids can hear it!

Doogle2 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:53:04

I agree. I'm a bit shocked that CSI/ER etc are on in the daytime. My son was channel hopping and I grabbed the remote just in time. I'm not impressed.

marjproops Fri 12-Apr-13 17:16:39

Oh here we go. one of my biggest bugbears! Ive written before to the bbc about it. even things like eastenders and other soaps are far too viokent/bedhopping/drinking these days.

and YYYYYY to jerry springers/jeremy kyles/CSI and the lot being shown at all hours.

theres no watershed even on the 'normal' channels any more.

thankfully DC cant get the concept of the rmote which means i am in control, but even channel hopping is a russian roulette these days.

but who to complain to about these other channels?

BTWE bbc got back to me saying the daytime and pre-9pm progs have no influence whatsoever on the young and vulnerable....same people that covered up the js scandal.

Svrider Fri 12-Apr-13 18:25:54

Has anyone seen holy oaks ?
Incest
Rape
Violence
At 6:30
Straight after the Simpsons angry

marjproops Fri 12-Apr-13 18:42:24

exactly, svrider. and kids then talk about it at school. and then everyone wonders why theyre so sexualised and stuff these days.

...hoiks judgy old ladys pants up higher.....

TwoTeaTessie Fri 12-Apr-13 18:55:49

I have like huge judgy pants about this. We haven't moved off of the kids channels this holiday for fear of finding something inappropriate.

My biggest bug bear is The Simpsons. I don't know If I've just become more sensitive to it as DS has gotten older and is more aware of the content or if indeed it has got worse. Swearing has definitely crept in there though.

marjproops Fri 12-Apr-13 19:05:57

Dc used to go to CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health something)and one day we were in the waiting room with colouring books and toys and stuff, room full of kids with probs and the tv in the room had JK on loud.

i went to the receptionist and said 'excuse me, do you know JKs on in a room full of young people with behaviour/mental issues? is this helping?' she didnt realsie and went in there and switched to cbbc.

but whos to say it was changed again another day?

CoolCadbury Fri 12-Apr-13 21:55:54

This afternoon, DP was channel hopping and stopped on "outnumbered" on one of those repeat only channels for maybe a minute. Ugh at the language,why do they show these programmes at any time of the day, when they are clearly meant to be for adults only? We hopped on to Cbeebies pretty quickly. It drives me mad. It's not just the language - they show Buffy at midday ffs (and I love Buffy but it's not exactly midday viewing is it?).

onepieceoflollipop Fri 12-Apr-13 21:59:21

Even Come Dine With Me has some rather "sexy" discussions and this is shown frequently during the daytime.

marjproops Fri 12-Apr-13 22:08:24

wheres Mary Whitehouse when you need her? come on peeps, we need another one!

i hate these progs when kids are in it and hearing seeing language and stuff. like on eastenders or something. i know theyre prob told its only acting but.......a baby in the arms of a kat slater while shes screaming or something? (and not a doll, a moving breathing living baby).

even Dr Who gets a bit below the belt sometimes.

its not the 50's or whatever, theres no Waltons/little house on the prairie sweetly stuff any more but i think its gone too far to the other extreme?

OddBoots Fri 12-Apr-13 22:14:23

We often have BBC R4 on in the day and sometimes the language on there is a bit fruity but that doesn't bother me, nor does it bother me that much if there is inference to sexual behaviour but I get very angry at the way violence and abuse is normalised on pre-watershed TV.

CoolCadbury Fri 12-Apr-13 22:28:46

It really did not bother me until I had DS. Never noticed it tbh.

Yay@littlehouseontheprairie. I wanted to be Laura ingalls (sp).

marjproops Fri 12-Apr-13 22:42:16

i wanted to marry Johnboy Walton!!! the sctors still goodlooking now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now