Talk

Advanced search

Our Girl - anyone watching?

(33 Posts)
KnockMeDown Sun 24-Mar-13 21:40:54

It's actually quite complelling. I'm willing Molly to succeed. Anyone else?

Jellykat Sun 24-Mar-13 21:45:26

I'm watching, its good and yes defo want her to do it!

Jellykat Sun 24-Mar-13 21:46:37

By the way, the corporal fancies her something chronic doesn't he?

MrsTomHardy Sun 24-Mar-13 21:56:00

He's quite fit smile

NoPinkPlease Sun 24-Mar-13 22:13:10

Really good - I so hope she makes it

Jellykat Sun 24-Mar-13 22:17:50

I wouldn't say no either MrsHardy smile

TigOldBitties Sun 24-Mar-13 22:22:51

Am watching but on a bit of a delay, I think it's quite good and they've made some bits quite authentic from what I know.

TuesdayNightDateNight Sun 24-Mar-13 22:30:13

I really enjoyed that! Thought Lacey was really good.

Oh and yep- corporal v v nice

Jellykat Sun 24-Mar-13 22:31:14

Oo i enjoyed that! Shes a good actress that Lacey Turner.

Glad her dad had a heart in the end, and hope she went on to marry the corp (yes i know it's not real grin)

Horsemad Sun 24-Mar-13 22:32:14

Was very good and realistic too.

Chinateacup Sun 24-Mar-13 22:35:13

That was surprisingly good!

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Mar-13 22:35:16

I am confused by the ending. Was that meant to be her in the coffin, and her mum hadn't told her dad?

Machli Sun 24-Mar-13 22:35:25

It's good. I am ex army and I find it realistic. Her constant aggression is irritating me though.

coffeeinbed Sun 24-Mar-13 22:38:16

Bike, That's what I thought.
Otherwise why would het mum get the letter?

MrsHoolie Sun 24-Mar-13 22:38:23

I thought it was brilliant but I am also confused at the ending.

Did she die at the end??Or were they just reading out the letter she took ages to write?

coffeeinbed Sun 24-Mar-13 22:39:53

Or was that the corporal who got a letter?

I thought it was her in the coffin, until her mum said, "Our girl will be OK" - and then I wasn't sure any more. On balance, I don't think it was her, and the reason that we know what was in the letter was because the corporal read it (which he shouldn't have done, should he?).

I really enjoyed it - I hadn't realised it was on until this afternoon, and I am glad I taped it. I was willing her to succeed. The best bit, for me, was when her friend had tidied her locker and kit for her.

NoPinkPlease Sun 24-Mar-13 22:44:22

Corporal was checking the letter, I thought... Really enjoyed that and sobbed for the last 10 mins smile

mam29 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:47:43

It was good and the life she left was so depressing wasent it.

her dad was awful and found her relationship with her bloke quite odd.

I think it high light how army can give people a way out.

I thourght oh dear she died but she hadent but i guess if you have child at tour you always on knife edge watching the news and sad when anyone dies as it could have been your child.

I liked the corporal too.

mam29 Sun 24-Mar-13 22:48:17

wish it had been a series as reckon there was more to tell.

scotlass Sun 24-Mar-13 22:52:57

I thought it was very good. Basic training bits were pretty realistic from my dim distant memory.

So sad no one was there to see her pass off parade, that used to make me tear up all the proud families taking loads of photos.

I know it's not real but the still at the end of her young fresh face smiling and the coffin draped in the flag made me shiver, so sad all the forces and civilian lives lost in the conflicts.

OrangeFireandGoldashes Sun 24-Mar-13 23:30:16

We were meant to think she had died, with the coffin and the letter v/o, but it was misdirection. Her parents were watching another soldier's funeral - hence the mother squeezing the father's hand and saying "our girl will be alright" - and the corporal was reading her letter prior to putting it wherever they keep them in case they are needed; he gave a little smile which I took to be pride/pleasure in the way she'd turned out and having read of her genuine love of what she was doing (and possibly satisfaction that she'd finally got round to writing it after all his nagging).

KnockMeDown Mon 25-Mar-13 13:27:05

I was a bit unsure about what happened in the end, not helped by the fact that I had a phone call during that final bit - grrr.... But I'm glad the general consensus is that she was ok.

I'm also really glad that they did not go down the route of a sexual relationship between her and the Corporal. I don't think that would have been right, somehow.

My favourite bit was seeing her do so well in that field exercise - so confident! I felt really proud of her grin And I echo what a PP said about the sadness that someone so young and confident could end up in a coffin driven along a street.

XBenedict Mon 25-Mar-13 14:34:42

Oh flippen heck sat here balling only to find out she didn't die, the buggers!

Good drama though. My closest friends are still the group I went through basic training with, such a strong bond, all thrown in an alien environment together. I miss being in the military.

Machli Mon 25-Mar-13 15:53:30

Me too XBenedict. Made me feel "homesick" watching it. The basic training was very realistic. I even missed Drill! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now