Talk

Advanced search

Sports Personality of the Year, will you be voting?

(343 Posts)
LittleAbruzzenBearLovesYuleLog Fri 14-Dec-12 16:42:33

Should be interesting. I will be voting for Wiggo because I like his dry sense of humour, he won the Tour de France, which is a major, huge feat (especially for a Brit) and his gentlemanly conduct on the 'Tack-gate' stage, the French love him, then he goes and takes gold at the olympics and he has encouraged many youngsters to get on their bikes. DH and I think there should be a male and female category though.

specialsubject Sat 15-Dec-12 17:20:16

there's a campaign going round the UK's millions of sailors for Ben Ainslie, who has won rather a lot of medals at rather a lot of Olympics. His sport needs lots of clothes and isn't very interesting to watch unless you know a lot about it, so I think he's out of luck.

There was some very TV friendly sailing at the Olympics - the crash and burn high performance classes - but because the Brits didn't do that well it didn't get shown except online in the middle of the day.

I'd also like to see it being Mr Wiggins, but I think Ms Ennis will walk it.

Abra1d Sat 15-Dec-12 17:27:02

So hard this year!

I did like Wiggo for insisting they stopped when spectators threw tacks all over the course, even though he was ahead and it wasn't affecting him.

BikeRunSki Sat 15-Dec-12 17:31:07

WIGGO!!!!!! for all the reasons Little said. 2 major wins at world standard in 10 days. Amazing. And a nice guy!

Agree too about male and female category.

ApuskiMcClusky Sat 15-Dec-12 17:31:49

V excited, we've got tickets to go see it! I think Wiggo will win, just because it's hard to differentiate between all the other Olympic nominees.

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit Sat 15-Dec-12 17:33:22

I will be voting for Mo Farah. He is one of my heros and a bloody lovely guy with it.

difficultpickle Sat 15-Dec-12 17:37:57

Wiggo. I was put off Mo when he said he would be giving his two Olympic golds to his twins and no mention of his older step daughter (whose father he has been since she was very little).

JaquelineHyOnChristmasSpirit Sat 15-Dec-12 17:43:55

Mo loves his step daughter and has dedicated all his other medals and records to her and his wife as he has progressed in his career.

Obviously you would only know this if you followed athletics and his career, so I can forgive you for your judgement smile

JethroTull Sat 15-Dec-12 17:47:07

Another vote for Mo here.

difficultpickle Sat 15-Dec-12 17:54:23

Jacqueline, fair enough. My mum would have known that! Still, his Olympic medals are by far his greatest achievements and most high profile so I just think it is sad that his family seems to only consist of his wife and babies and not his sdd. I heard an interview with him at the Birmingham meet after the Olympics and there was no mention at all of his sdd. If you didn't know him you would assume he only had two dcs.

gregssausageroll Sun 16-Dec-12 08:46:29

I will be voting for andy Murray but happy to see mo farrah win. Wiggins put me off a bit with his behaviour after his accident.

I hope Claire balding gets some special recognition too.

Nancy66 Sun 16-Dec-12 11:29:08

I'm going to vote for Wiggins and Ellie Simmonds

CocktailQueen Sun 16-Dec-12 12:08:07

Think Wiggo will win
Would like to see Jess Ennis win - or Andy Murray!

Whatevertheweather Sun 16-Dec-12 12:12:02

Andy Murray for sure. Wimbledon runner up, Olympic gold and winner of US Open. So hard as any other year any one of those mentioned on this thread would have walked it

Nancy66 Sun 16-Dec-12 12:13:53

i think Murray has to win Wimbledon first....but wouldn't be surprised if he takes it

happygilmore Sun 16-Dec-12 12:27:29

I would like Murray or Wiggins to win smile

Ilovesunflowers Sun 16-Dec-12 13:17:38

I would like Mo or Jess to win.

schilke Sun 16-Dec-12 13:44:24

I just can't decide. I would go for Farah or Murray, but I think Wiggins will get it.

MrsChristmasVamos Sun 16-Dec-12 13:51:28

I can't choose.

So many different types of athletes, all with amazing achievements. I think it's mean to ask us to pick just 1. grin

noelstudios Sun 16-Dec-12 14:00:56

We're going to vote for david weir, he's incredible. What an amazing line up, 2012 has been a phenomenal year for UK sport!!!

LottieJenkins Sun 16-Dec-12 14:11:36

I will be voting for Jess Enniss as she has to do so many different sports as oppose to one sport and for Mo Farrah because i like him and he seems very modest and honest!
I will not be voting for Wiggins as i didnt like his behaviour after his accident. Sticking your middle finger up at people doesnt do a lot to endear yourself to people!!!

infin Sun 16-Dec-12 14:20:55

I'm going to vote for 2 as I just can't decide....Katherine Grainger and David Weir. Their odds don't look good though, especially KG's, sadly.

ivykaty44 Sun 16-Dec-12 14:28:51

i think if i was hounded by the press I would want to stick my middle finger up to them. He did say a public sorry afterwards for his actions

He stopped the tour when the road was full of tacs behind him and that sort of thing shows he wants to be a true sports man and not win on someone elses misfortune.

taking both into account shows he is not perfect and few people are perfect.

To cycle 3000 miles and then win gold at the olympics is pretty impressive

BetsyBoop Sun 16-Dec-12 14:32:01

It has to be Wiggo based on achievement

He's the only cyclist to have won the Tour and an Olympic gold medal in the same year, and the first Brit to ever win the Tour.

He has won seven Olympic medals, the most won by any British Olympian ever. (jointly held with Hoy).

He also has four gold medals, which makes him third in the "most gold medals won by a British Olympian" list, behind Hoy (six) and Steve Redgrave (five) who have both already won SPOTY.

ivykaty44 Sun 16-Dec-12 14:38:41

I wish there was room for more winners

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now