(253 Posts)
expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:02:22

NOW!

AnyaKnowIt Thu 13-Dec-12 21:03:50

Its only just started and i'm shocked

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 13-Dec-12 21:04:15

watching....

HillyBillyBobby Thu 13-Dec-12 21:04:57

Just watching now. Can't believe they took a 100% mortgage on such an expensive house, they must have thought it was an ok risk. He lost his only client, it sounds like it was more risky than they thought, that poor family.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:05:14

I'd have ditched the house immediately! But then, I've lost a child, losing a house like that to live in a smaller one or flat wouldn't have phased me much, tbh. Boohoo. Try getting through when your little child has cancer. And then dies.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:05:38

I'd have sold all my shit left and right and rented a flat.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:06:12

'It's just so unfair.' No, not really. I'll show you unfair, lady.

HillyBillyBobby Thu 13-Dec-12 21:08:14

It makes me realise why we live in a small house with small repayments, friends think we are mad not to have moved up the ladder but there is real comfort in knowing that there is a bit of security.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 13-Dec-12 21:09:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 21:09:55

I agree with expat, we househunted in the era when massive 100% mortgages were being handed out like candy. We took about half the mortgage amt we were offered. There were some people who took the max they were offered without really thinking about it and even back then without any whisper of a credit crunch we thought they were mad!

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 21:10:54

(that's not re the BC woman, that's at the £500k house family)

Christmassparkles Thu 13-Dec-12 21:12:06

This is the reason we didn't buy any luxuries in the past 10 years, didn't move up etc friends thought we were mad, but it was so we could pay our mortgage off, it frightens me to think that you have to move away from a much loved house, with memories etc- this is heart breaking.

HillyBillyBobby Thu 13-Dec-12 21:12:38

Jingle Us too, we were offered 3 times what we borrowed, they kept saying 'but you can have up yo this much....'
They were almost pushing the extra debt on us.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:14:20

I don't get why this family couldn't come to an agreement with the council regarding their rent arrears when he went back to work.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:14:49

It's quite rare to be evicted from a council property.

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 21:14:56

one advisor tried to convince us to get a big house for ourself worth much more than the one we bought, PLUS a buy to let flat. There is no way we'd have been able to maintain that much debt! But IMO it was our decision and it was up to us whether to take something or not just because it's offered!

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:15:57

Aw, I see! I see why.

LineRunner Thu 13-Dec-12 21:16:01

Just watching it now.

Jellykat Thu 13-Dec-12 21:17:25

Watching too..

HillyBillyBobby Thu 13-Dec-12 21:17:38

Kevin looks ill doesn't he?

ProphetOfDoom Thu 13-Dec-12 21:18:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:18:22

Hmm. I think sometimes people have a hard time realising that bad things can happen to anyone and that when they do, start selling up FAST in case the bad things don't go away, but get worse.

jinglebellyalltheway Thu 13-Dec-12 21:19:41

I would also call Kevin vulnerable (in my humble lay opinion)

expatinscotland Thu 13-Dec-12 21:20:07

Kevin's got some problems. I think he'd be best in a charity shelter if there is one.

butisthismyname Thu 13-Dec-12 21:20:13

I guess if you honestly feel secure and believe things are ok then you take that risk - stupid though it may seem now. This is making me completely paranoid - we have a smallish mortgage but still dh's hours have been cut (unforeseen) and we will struggle. We didn't buy till we were both in our forties and are sensible but who knows what's going to happen. It's ridiculously easy to fall off. USed to work with homeless people - just as the recession was kicking in, and it really isn't as clear cut as it can seem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now