Talk

Advanced search

TV series recommendations please. Is the Walking Dead any good?

(32 Posts)
BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 09:33:22

We live abroad and are getting bored of all the CSI / Criminal Minds / Bones / The Mentalist repeats on TV so I want to get DH some boxsets of DVDs for Christmas.

We like House, CSI Vegas (but hate CSI Miami and can just about watch CSI Manhattan), Dr Who, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist...
We don't like stuff like Sex in the City, Nip and Tuck, Will and Grace etc.

We've just bought the first series of Lost which I've never seen. In the shop it was a toss up with The Walking Dead but neither of us had seen it so weren't sure if it was any good.

Which series would you recommend?
Thanks

Walking dead is brilliant

LadyKooKoo Mon 22-Oct-12 09:40:57

I agree, Walking Dead is fab. Am also a fan of Criminal Minds, Bones and Lost. If you enjoy Lost then you have a lot of it ahead of you. I would also recommend Fringe if you enjoy Lost. Finished series worth watching are Six Feet Under and The Sopranos. If you like cop shows I would also recommend Blue Bloods.

Ooh not heard of fringe, thanks

LadyKooKoo Mon 22-Oct-12 10:22:43

It's great, I love it. Series 5 starts this week so lots to look forward to.

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 10:54:11

<scribbles notes>

Thanks! Will definitely look at Walking Dead and maybe Fringe.

Have watched one episode of Lost so far and it seems ok. There's loads of seasons though and I sometimes find shows go a bit off if they go on too long (Friends anyone?!)

I quite liked The Sopranos when I watched bits of it. Will look out for Six Feet under too.

It was tricky in the shops cos the series are more expensive than films so we were afraid of wasting our money like on Rome which we didn't like and just couldn't be bothered to finish

LittleAbruzzenBear Mon 22-Oct-12 13:26:19

The Walking Dead is great!

LadyKooKoo Mon 22-Oct-12 14:08:29

Do you get anything like Netflix where you are? It shows lots of TV series and is only £6.99 a month here.

Tincletoes Mon 22-Oct-12 14:09:27

West Wing
West Wing
West Wing

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 16:25:57

So, Tincle, do you like West Wing? grin

SucksToBeScaryMe Mon 22-Oct-12 16:29:15

Another vote for six feet under, I have never cried as much as i did at the final episode (actually howled!) Dexter is very good too.

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 16:31:36

Cried cos funny or cried cos sad?
Don't need anymore sad stuff - am hormonal enough with baby DS wink cried at an advert this weekend

Craftyone Mon 22-Oct-12 16:34:59

'The Wire' is supposed to be one of the best series ever! So many people have told me to watch it that i am buying it for xmas.

Craftyone Mon 22-Oct-12 16:35:48

walking dead is great too!

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:39:30

your tastes are much like mine and DH op! you will love walking dead....and fringe is fantastic.

have you ever watched all the X files? even now they are seriously good.
also buffy the vampire slayer - fantastic.

i would have said House.....but you have it. Yes to dexter.....
we are just watching the Mentalist and criminal minds....i missed them first time around.

i buck this trend though with the sopranos.....just could not get into it at all.

puffylovett Mon 22-Oct-12 16:41:06

I got bored of lost very quickly but walking dead is bloody brilliant.
Even my dp has been hooked from day one, and he's more of a war documentary type!

SucksToBeScaryMe Mon 22-Oct-12 16:41:14

Sad crying! I was pg too! Maybe not such a great idea!

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 16:50:36

Ah no maybe not sad stuff. I was sad about a thread I read on here and then watched a Criminal minds with a similar theme and just cried and cried. DH was baffled smile

I have all the Buffys cried when her mum died I watched them loads before meeting DH which is just as well as DH only got through 3 seasons with me and got bored angry

Think DH will be getting Walking Dead for Christmas and Fringe if I can find it grin Will look at the Wire too - no idea what it's about! hasn't made it to France apparently

I used to watch the X files but got fed up when it got too government conspiracy. But the earlier seasons were good so I'll look them out. Haven't seen them in years.

We used to watch loads of films but with DS being such a crap sleeper I go to bed too early now! blush

NoWuckingFurries Mon 22-Oct-12 16:51:08

I love Waking the Dead. It gets better with each series! I'd also recommend Lie To Me, based on your other viewing material. Tim Roth is brilliant in it.

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Mon 22-Oct-12 16:53:42

Oh I forgot Lie to Me.
We like that too smile

So is Waking the Dead different to the Walking Dead? confused

puffylovett Mon 22-Oct-12 17:00:15

Waking the dead - old crime cases with trevor whatsit, v good.

Walking dead - hip zombie apocapalyse with egg from Teachers rocking a fake southern American accent!

LadyKooKoo Mon 22-Oct-12 18:51:07

Another vote for Dexter here, it is brilliant. Damages with Glenn Close is also fantastic and totally overlooked in the UK. I tried The Wire but really couldn't get in to it. I also agree with the comment about X Files getting tedious with all of the Government conspiracy stuff.

Six Feet Under, it is sad but happy sad. The last episode was the best finale episode of any series I have ever watched in my opinion.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:58:27

it wasnt teachers.....it was This Life.

he is good in The Walking Dead - i think his accent is spot on.

if you can just get through the few episodes of conspiracy theory the X files gets really good again....
i couldnt get past season 2 of Six Feet Under. i got bored.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 22-Oct-12 19:03:02

The Walking Dead is amazing, the new series has just started on FX and I'm already addicted and it has the delicious Andrew Lincoln in it

The Wire is also fantastic, I loved 24 too.

mummmsy Mon 22-Oct-12 19:05:05

the wire, breaking bad, homeland - in that order!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now